Future QB Discussion

G08

On 4/25/2021 at 8:48 AM, WindyCity said:

I agree George doesn’t want to fire Pace, but progress has to be more tangible than some nuanced breakdowns of offensive improvement. It is the fans that will force his hand. The 10k-15k no shows in December, like they had with Trestman and Fox will force it. The getting booed off the field on prime time games will force something.

I think fans will want something more tangible in December, either a playoff team or showing up to see a young exciting QB.

I don’t think a similar record with 3-4 more points per game is going to get people out in December or keep them from selling their tickets to Packers fans for week 17.

What December No-Shows?  The whole 2020 season was all about no fans in the stands.  And this team is no longer in it's death throes as it was under Fox.  We've clawed our way back to simple mediocrity.

You also assume that by December that shiny new QB will have replaced Dalton but as we sit we have no idea whatsoever who that QB may be or even if they'll be one. Fan's may like $2 beers too but they ain't getting any of those either.

And while No Shows or fans selling tickets may be a minor embarrassment those seats have all been paid for well in advance so it's not anywhere near a major an issue as you might think it is.

Me thinks you assume way too much based mainly on how you may like it to be but not how it is.  A few thousand empty seats or those same seats sold to Packer Fans is not gonna govern what GMcC decides to do about his two most important hires.

And FWIW I could always get tickets to Bears vs Packer games when I lived in GB and I could still get them today if I cared enough to travel 1200 miles to see the game.  None of that means a damn thing.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Soul, what do you think has to happen this year for Pace and Nagy to keep their jobs?

I understand that none of us know what George is 100% thinking, but what do you think?

No regression.  A solid improvement on offense.  Successful draft.  W/L secondary.

If Pace has been assured his deal will run through 2022 as well then GMcC has a decision to make next Jan.  Will his GM and HC enter 2022 as lame ducks or will he extend them beyond 2022.  Probably a two year extension giving them 3 more years to get the Bears into a championship game or damn close to it. 

That's probably reasonable.

Unlike many others I believe both Pace and Nagy have hung their hats on Andy Dalton this year and will see to it that he gets the majority of the reps in camp and preseason whenever possible.  I can't help but believe he's an upgrade over Mitch in this offense and has the potential to put more points on the board.  That would show progress.

Why I made W/L secondary is we're dealing with a rookie DC, some aging talent, and very little depth.  It's possible that a regressions by the defense may offset any gains made by the offense and once again we end up near a .500 finish.  Since they've yet to put strong seasons together by both units I still see them in the middle of the pack.

In summary I'm not in a big hurry to fire either one as long as Phillips and GMcC will be the ones deciding who replaces them.  Reference their decisions on Phil Emery and John Fox.  Until they step away from decision making and hire a top NFL Exec or somehow someway Ryan Pace becomes that guy we're what we are.....mediocre.

Edited by soulman

18 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Soul, what do you think has to happen this year for Pace and Nagy to keep their jobs?

I understand that none of us know what George is 100% thinking, but what do you think?

Let me add one more thing I've thought about but forgot to add to a few posts previous I've made.

Another reason I won't condition Pace's and Nagy's future only on drafting a potential franchise QB is that it simply may not be possible.  Much like SF I have to believe they've narrowed down the guy they'd shoot the moon for if he could be had to one or two guys one of whom may fall out of the top ten but is he their guy?

The only spot that assures them of that one specific QB is #4 and I won't assume Atlanta will be willing to trade if it means losing out on a once in a decade talent like Pitts or possibly the top WR since they've suggested they will listen to trade for Julio Jones to save cap space.  So their focus is likely to be on pass catchers.

If Pace and Nagy were as desperate about needing a top five QB to keep their jobs as the media would like us to believe I would think that like SF they would have made their move to assure they get one.  They haven't done that which indicates to me there may be only one QB worth the risk of trading up for and SF may take him first.

It's not that I'm ruling out a trade to as high as #4 but I can't see a failure to land their guy vs drafting a 2nd or 3rd tier QB later one as being pivotal as far as keeping their jobs.  For instance.  If Jones is that guy whose worth it to them and to GMcC and SF takes him that alone can't be a reason for firing them.  The media is playing us.

15 hours ago, soulman said:

No regression.  A solid improvement on offense.  Successful draft.  W/L secondary.

If Pace has been assured his deal will run through 2022 as well then GMcC has a decision to make next Jan.  Will his GM and HC enter 2022 as lame ducks or will he extend them beyond 2022.  Probably a two year extension giving them 3 more years to get the Bears into a championship game or damn close to it. 

That's probably reasonable.

Unlike many others I believe both Pace and Nagy have hung their hats on Andy Dalton this year and will see to it that he gets the majority of the reps in camp and preseason whenever possible.  I can't help but believe he's an upgrade over Mitch in this offense and has the potential to put more points on the board.  That would show progress.

Why I made W/L secondary is we're dealing with a rookie DC, some aging talent, and very little depth.  It's possible that a regressions by the defense may offset any gains made by the offense and once again we end up near a .500 finish.  Since they've yet to put strong seasons together by both units I still see them in the middle of the pack.

In summary I'm not in a big hurry to fire either one as long as Phillips and GMcC will be the ones deciding who replaces them.  Reference their decisions on Phil Emery and John Fox.  Until they step away from decision making and hire a top NFL Exec or somehow someway Ryan Pace becomes that guy we're what we are.....mediocre.

So does 8-9 wins and a middling offense cost jobs?

16 hours ago, soulman said:

59 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

So does 8-9 wins and a middling offense cost jobs?

Do you always have to twist a statement I make to make it fit your viewpoint?  Why did you interpret my "solid improvement on offense" to mean "middling".  That's 100% your own viewpoint, not mine.  Stop twisting what I post into your own meaning.

An improvement in points scored wouldn't be seen as "middling" provided were scoring 24-27 points per game on average.  It would be a 40%-60% increase in scoring.  This should be the main focus of Nagy and his offensive staff.

Since we have a rookie DC, key defenders are aging and experiencing more injuries/games lost, depth at some spots may be suspect, and we've have just lost an All Pro CB it's difficult how predict how the defense might produce under Desai.

It's possible that gains on offense may be offset by declines on defense and we end up around .500 again.  The defense regressed under Pagano.  Could it regress more under Desai?  We like to convince ourselves it won't but it's not altogether unlikely.

Since GMcC failed to define any specific parameters for improvement I'd say he left it very open ended and subject to his own opinions.  What I believe should cost them their jobs means zip.  I don't get a vote on that but if I did you already have my answer.

55 minutes ago, soulman said:

Do you always have to twist a statement I make to make it fit your viewpoint?  Why did you interpret my "solid improvement on offense" to mean "middling".  That's 100% your own viewpoint, not mine.  Stop twisting what I post into your own meaning.

An improvement in points scored wouldn't be seen as "middling" provided were scoring 24-27 points per game on average.  It would be a 40%-60% increase in scoring.  This should be the main focus of Nagy and his offensive staff.

Since we have a rookie DC, key defenders are aging and experiencing more injuries/games lost, depth at some spots may be suspect, and we've have just lost an All Pro CB it's difficult how predict how the defense might produce under Desai.

It's possible that gains on offense may be offset by declines on defense and we end up around .500 again.  The defense regressed under Pagano.  Could it regress more under Desai?  We like to convince ourselves it won't but it's not altogether unlikely.

Since GMcC failed to define any specific parameters for improvement I'd say he left it very open ended and subject to his own opinions.  What I believe should cost them their jobs means zip.  I don't get a vote on that but if I did you already have my answer.

I am not twisting anything.

I was asking if we do not see a significant offensive improvement what happens? If the offense gets a little bit better but does not make a significant jump how does that factor into your thought process?

I think we all understand that George will make the final decision and that message board opinions won’t count. But George doesn’t post here and we need to talk about something.

Edited by WindyCity

2 hours ago, G08 said:

Hot Take: Kellen Mond has some Patrick Mahomes-esque physical traits

Hotter Take: Pace is going to draft him at #20

Maybe. I was thinking he might trade down and grab Mills or Mond. But he may not want to risk it.

I'd be happy. Acknowledging a need and then addressing it would be all sorts of growth from Ryan Pace. 

3 hours ago, G08 said:

Hot Take: Kellen Mond has some Patrick Mahomes-esque physical traits

Hotter Take: Pace is going to draft him at #20

Very hot.

There is a pretty low chance Mond becomes anything. He is wildly inconsistent.

But, it would be way more interesting than watching Andy Dalton.