Future QB Discussion

G08

We have to hope that the Bears can pull off the move up, Brad Biggs is convinced they are going to try, and they can land a top prospect.

or

That the board breaks in a way that they do not feel the need to make a major reach. Mond falling to 52 would likely be the best scenario of value and talent.

1 hour ago, GOGRIESE said:

I've only seen Pete Prisco put this guy in his top 32(to us unfortunately). 

Lot of noise from people who talk to NFL teams/scouts. Mike Greenberg has been pimping this as well lately. 

Might be nothing but, still, there is a lot of smoke. 

If Davis Mills goes in the 1st given his college resume and injury track record then I agree with the others who said that would be absurd and a definite reach.

This guy has no business going that high. We can talk about former top-HS recruit all we want, that doesn't mean a whole lot if you don't produce like one or are not available to produce like one due to injury. 

This is not to say I don't like Mills as a prospect...but in the 1st? That's gross

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Mills is scary. 

But this is the reality of being desperate and needing a QB. You end up reaching because you simply cannot afford to be left without a chair when the music starts.

I prefer Mond, because at least we have significant amounts of data on him.

I like Mond more as well and have him QB6, but wouldn’t consider him in round 1 even after a trade down.

I agree with what you’ve been saying though Windy, in that I can’t imagine that with all the QB-centric everything from Nagy/Pace/George that their ultimate plan is Dalton and a mid-round prospect. That tells me not only that they want to trade up, but that Pace has the green light to do so, at least to some extent. My dream is that netting us Fields, but honestly if it gets us Jones or Lance I’ll be thrilled too.

Where Jones lands is fascinating to me. I think he has a really high ceiling and a pretty high floor but he’s way more 2001-prototypical than 2021. If he doesn’t go 3, and I’m still not convinced he will, I could see him sliding for a while. If you’re drafting a guy to start in 2021 there’s a solid argument for him to be your guy but if you’re drafting a guy not to start in 2021 you’d think Lance or Fields make more sense because their ceilings are higher.

As far as Fields goes, I’m not expecting it but wouldn’t be totally shocked if he went to the Jets at 2. He was QB1 or QB2 all damn season for everyone, and the Jets aren’t the ones pushing Wilson - that’s the media. SF could very well be not pushing Fields so as to try to avoid the Jets from being talked into taking him instead of Wilson when maybe they’re not otherwise inclined to do so. Or maybe I’m just at draft analysis overload at this point. And to be fair I have Wilson as my QB5 (have it Lawrence, Fields, Jones, Lance, Wilson) so taking him 2nd seems crazy to me. 

• Like 1

I think it is less of a risk to trade up for Fields or Lance, even if it costs you a couple of additional 1st round picks, than it is to take Mills and Mond in the 1st.

Fields and Lance are corner 3s.

Mills and Monds are launches from the back court.

16 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I like Mond more as well and have him QB6, but wouldn’t consider him in round 1 even after a trade down.

I agree with what you’ve been saying though Windy, in that I can’t imagine that with all the QB-centric everything from Nagy/Pace/George that their ultimate plan is Dalton and a mid-round prospect. That tells me not only that they want to trade up, but that Pace has the green light to do so, at least to some extent. My dream is that netting us Fields, but honestly if it gets us Jones or Lance I’ll be thrilled too.

Where Jones lands is fascinating to me. I think he has a really high ceiling and a pretty high floor but he’s way more 2001-prototypical than 2021. If he doesn’t go 3, and I’m still not convinced he will, I could see him sliding for a while. If you’re drafting a guy to start in 2021 there’s a solid argument for him to be your guy but if you’re drafting a guy not to start in 2021 you’d think Lance or Fields make more sense because their ceilings are higher.

As far as Fields goes, I’m not expecting it but wouldn’t be totally shocked if he went to the Jets at 2. He was QB1 or QB2 all damn season for everyone, and the Jets aren’t the ones pushing Wilson - that’s the media. SF could very well be not pushing Fields so as to try to avoid the Jets from being talked into taking him instead of Wilson when maybe they’re not otherwise inclined to do so. Or maybe I’m just at draft analysis overload at this point. And to be fair I have Wilson as my QB5 (have it Lawrence, Fields, Jones, Lance, Wilson) so taking him 2nd seems crazy to me. 

Very good points AZ.  I was thinking the same about the Jets.  Everyone just assumes they are taking Wilson, but we can't be sure.  Who's to say they don't take Fields?

I think the only lock at this point is Lawrence at #1.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Very good points AZ.  I was thinking the same about the Jets.  Everyone just assumes they are taking Wilson, but we can't be sure.  Who's to say they don't take Fields?

I think the only lock at this point is Lawrence at #1.

I would also agree with this. I think GMs may value Zach Wilson differently than fans. 

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

However, I do believe George is susceptible to widespread and intense media criticism.   If it gets too heated he will act regardless of above.  Pace gets that too.  

While he can't remain completely oblivious to it by now I would think he also realizes he and the Bears will continue to attract criticism no matter what they do.  Bears fans tend to be an impatient, critical lot but it seldom if ever impacts their loyalty to the team.

Over the past 35 years the McCaskey's have suffered through far worse teams than this one and weathered the storm.  Pace is well liked throughout the organization and IMHO we'd have to see major regression across the board before GMcC pulls the plug.

If I'm allowed to make my customary "buck bet" my $1 is going on both Pace and Nagy getting short extensions following the 2021 season as opposed to getting fired.

53 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Ben Allbright who is one of the more accurate mock drafters and he has

1[20] QB Mac Jones

That would be pretty ideal but it also ignores both NE and Wash drafting before us and both also looking at QBs.  Not saying it can't happen but I think if Jones begins to slide Pace will need to move up in the 10-12 range to assured to getting him.

7 minutes ago, soulman said:

That would be pretty ideal but it also ignores both NE and Wash drafting before us and both also looking at QBs.  Not saying it can't happen but I think if Jones begins to slide Pace will need to move up in the 10-12 range to assured to getting him.

NE moves up for a QB and Washington goes defense.

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

I would also agree with this. I think GMs may value Zach Wilson differently than fans. 

I don't think so.  I think teams are in love with potential of his quick release and believe it or not his good looks and charisma.  I think he goes 2.

These things matter, subconsciously if nothing else.   Just like few or no short dudes get elected President.  Is there any?   

Same reason many fans hate idea of Mac.  He isn't physically good looking.   This matters less to teams than to fans I think in this direction.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Bridegwater traded to the Broncos.

Hopefully, that clears out another QB threat and opens up a trade up spot.

Was going to post this. A trade up to 9 will be very expensive. Probably 2 FRP's ++ but if Fields is there I'd be tempted.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1387464116403462145?s=20

Edited by malagabears