Future QB Discussion

G08

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

Deshaun Watson would be amazing with the Bears if they could get him without it becoming "Herschel-Walker-esque).

Another QB I thought I'd mention to you guys is Gardner Minshew.  I've been watching some of the Jaguars games from this season, and although he has work to do before being a superstar, he does have some potential.  The nice thing about him is that he probably wouldn't cost much to acquire.  Maybe a 3rd, 4th, or 5th round pick?  I'd actually like to see them keep Minshew as a backup and get rid of the giraffe (Glennon), but he might be available.  Just throwing it out there.

I was waiting for someone to bring up Minshew. Good point.

Bears were apparently really high on Minshew leading up to the 2019 draft and Minshew said he and Nagy had a great meeting.

I know most Bears fans don't want to hear this but acquiring Minshew this offseason is a very possible outcome for this team considering the vet options that will or should I say won't be available and also that his former coordinator in Jax when he burst onto the NFL scene is no other than current Bears QB coach John DeFillipo.

If they traded for Minshew though, even for a mid round pick, imagine the outcry from people :D

For the record I think Minshew would be a decent option for the short term instead of Foles.

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I was waiting for someone to bring up Minshew. Good point.

Bears were apparently really high on Minshew leading up to the 2019 draft and Minshew said he and Nagy had a great meeting.

I know most Bears fans don't want to hear this but acquiring Minshew this offseason is a very possible outcome for this team considering the vet options that will or should I say won't be available and also that his former coordinator in Jax when he burst onto the NFL scene is no other than current Bears QB coach John DeFillipo.

If they traded for Minshew though, even for a mid round pick, imagine the outcry from people :D

For the record I think Minshew would be a decent option for the short term instead of Foles.

I totally agree topwop1.  After seeing just a couple of games he started, I'm convinced I'd take him over any of Foles, Trubisky or Glennon.  He's young, so he has some learning to do, but there's something about watching him that makes me think he has some "it" to him.  He is confident enough to try and make plays.  I think he would be worth looking at.  If the Jags weren't in line for Trevor Lawrence, I'd be all for them keeping him longer and seeing if he can make it work.  If nothing else, he's fun to watch play.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I totally agree topwop1.  After seeing just a couple of games he started, I'm convinced I'd take him over any of Foles, Trubisky or Glennon.  He's young, so he has some learning to do, but there's something about watching him that makes me think he has some "it" to him.  He is confident enough to try and make plays.  I think he would be worth looking at.  If the Jags weren't in line for Trevor Lawrence, I'd be all for them keeping him longer and seeing if he can make it work.  If nothing else, he's fun to watch play.

Without a major signing like Dak or  Watson trade I don't think they'll make a move like they.  I think Nagy and Pace know their toes are over the fire and they wont bet their jobs on a guy like Minshrew. If they had 3 seasons then I think he'd be a better option to bring in and fight for the job.

But the only way to buy more time (outside of the big deals that aren't likely to happen) is to have a rookie show some success imo. Otherwise Pace has shown zero ability to find QB talent and Nagy shows no ability to run an offense or develop a QB. 

Not that this would all stop me from doing it, but how much would it suck for Foles to have Minshew follow him from Jax-Chicago and then replace him again?

That said, regarding the actual possibility of Minshew, that's actually a VERY likely scenario for us if we whiff on being able to trade up and get a guy or dont like Mac Jones.

7 hours ago, Epyon said:

Not that this would all stop me from doing it, but how much would it suck for Foles to have Minshew follow him from Jax-Chicago and then replace him again?

That said, regarding the actual possibility of Minshew, that's actually a VERY likely scenario for us if we whiff on being able to trade up and get a guy or dont like Mac Jones.

Foles is awful. He turned in a 4 game heater and a Super Bowl win into like 60 million in career earnings.

He should probably just sit in the corner and collect his 15 million more dollars he has coming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

I would take a shot with Minshew. Could we get him for a 5th?

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Not so sure they give him up for a 5th...I have always been a fan of Minshew so wouldn't even mind given up a 3rd as long as we got something back with it...maybe a 5th. 

I'd love Minshew to become a Bear. I don't think his acquisition could be looked upon as THE solution, but he'd make me feel a whole lot better about the position, moving forward. 

The Jaguars may actually CUT Minshew if they draft Lawrence. Less drama that way. 

21 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I'd love Minshew to become a Bear. I don't think his acquisition could be looked upon as THE solution, but he'd make me feel a whole lot better about the position, moving forward. 

The Jaguars may actually CUT Minshew if they draft Lawrence. Less drama that way. 

I can't see them cutting him...dude is talented and cheap at the most important position in sport...that holds value...I also think he could be the perfect solution...especially if we upgrade at LT & add another WR/TE for him to throw too.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I can't see them cutting him...dude is talented and cheap at the most important position in sport...that holds value...I also think he could be the perfect solution...especially if we upgrade at LT & add another WR/TE for him to throw too.

I think Minshew may still have ambitions to be a starter. Not the ideal situation if you're bringing Lawrence into the QB room. 

Maybe they'd trade him for cheap, I suppose that does make sense, but either way, I'd be utterly gobsmacked if he's still on the Jaguars roster next year...

Ye gods..  I leave for a while and we're talking ourselves into Minshew?

Feels like stumbling into a wet basement full of refugees trying to figure out which piss is best to drink.

Either go up and get your qb this year, or build return can't miss building blocks like OT, DL and start foles so we get a good pick next year. And next year's qb class is puzzling at best

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

That gas mask video probably scared a few teams off I bet.

You trust your scouting department.  If there were character concerns before that, then you probably didn't have him on the board.  If you didn't, you chalk that up to a lack of discipline.

• Like 1