Future QB Discussion

G08

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You trust your scouting department.  If there were character concerns before that, then you probably didn't have him on the board.  If you didn't, you chalk that up to a lack of discipline.

I'll take your word on that.  You have probably forgotten more about the scouting/draft process than I will ever know.

Would the Bears be willing to give up their first round picks for the next three years for Deshaun Watson?  Considering what talent is already on the team, I think I'd do it.  Comparing doing that and getting to not doing it and keeping the picks would have to be a positive. 

The questions are, would the Texans take that, and would Watson be willing to come to Chicago?

17 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I could see Minshew becoming an absolute star in Chicago from a personality standpoint.  He is a Chicago guy through and through, IMHO.  I would absolutely love it if he ended up with 'da Bears and had a solid career with them.

Is there talk of them moving him? He's under contract for two more years at prices that dont get much cheaper. If Lawrence isnt ready from the get-go, they could run him out there till he his.

Not sure CHI is interested in anymore JAX cast offs. They've still got one under contract......and they dont seem inclined to hand him the job.

• Like 1

Just now, Leader said:

Is there talk of them moving him? He's under contract for two more years at prices that dont get much cheaper. If Lawrence isnt ready from the get-go, they could run him out there till he his.

Not sure CHI is interested in anymore JAX cast offs. They've still got one under contract......and they dont seem inclined to hand him the job.

I'm not as familiar with the whole situation as a lot of the fans on here yet, but they say the team will probably have to make a decision between moving either Minshew or Glennon.  I'd really love to see them keep Minshew, but I could see how Glennon might create fewer waves riding the pine. 

As far as starting him, if that is what's better for Lawrence and the team long term, I'd be just fine with that too.  I really like watching Minshew play.  My guess, though, is that if they both have to learn a new offense anyway, Lawrence is very likely going to be better Week 1 than Minshew.  You never know, I guess.  Minshew at least has some experience playing on the NFL level.

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'm not as familiar with the whole situation as a lot of the fans on here yet, but they say the team will probably have to make a decision between moving either Minshew or Glennon.  I'd really love to see them keep Minshew, but I could see how Glennon might create fewer waves riding the pine. 

As far as starting him, if that is what's better for Lawrence and the team long term, I'd be just fine with that too.  I really like watching Minshew play.  My guess, though, is that if they both have to learn a new offense anyway, Lawrence is very likely going to be better Week 1 than Minshew.  You never know, I guess.  Minshew at least has some experience playing on the NFL level.

Minshew > than Glennon and I'd hang on to Minshew if for no other reason than stated already: Starter till Lawrence is ready to go - then backup. He's a small fish in a small bowl - so I dont see him making a big fuss if he's designated backup to the next best QB since sliced bread.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Would the Bears be willing to give up their first round picks for the next three years for Deshaun Watson?  Considering what talent is already on the team, I think I'd do it.  Comparing doing that and getting to not doing it and keeping the picks would have to be a positive. 

The questions are, would the Texans take that, and would Watson be willing to come to Chicago?

Put yourself in Houston's shoes, does that trade offer differentiate then any other team that made the playoffs?  At the end of the day, it comes down to your opinion of who is going to be worse over the entirety of the trade with a little extra weighted value going towards shipping him outside of the conference.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Put yourself in Houston's shoes, does that trade offer differentiate then any other team that made the playoffs?  At the end of the day, it comes down to your opinion of who is going to be worse over the entirety of the trade with a little extra weighted value going towards shipping him outside of the conference.

Sure, it all comes down to who is willing to give up the most.  I was just throwing up a scenario.  It will be interesting to see who is willing to pony up more than everyone else.

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You trust your scouting department.  If there were character concerns before that, then you probably didn't have him on the board.  If you didn't, you chalk that up to a lack of discipline.

Pace has never been a big fan of bringing in guys with character concerns. For better or worse. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Ye gods..  I leave for a while and we're talking ourselves into Minshew?

Feels like stumbling into a wet basement full of refugees trying to figure out which piss is best to drink.

Either go up and get your qb this year, or build return can't miss building blocks like OT, DL and start foles so we get a good pick next year. And next year's qb class is puzzling at best

The Bears QB history has drastically lowered the expectations. These same fans thought Foles was a good QB. 

Minshew can stay as far away from as possible. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 7:39 AM, abstract_thought said:

I don't think we should read too much into a single round of games. Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, etc. have been instrumental in getting their teams to this point.

I will say that the difference between the Bucs and Bears isn't just Tom Brady. They have more talent across the board on offense and their defense created more pressure last night.

I think having an elite QB is a floor raiser that gives you a chance to compete in the playoffs. Building an elite defense can work too, but the shelf life on keeping that together and playing well seems to be shorter than the shelf life of an elite QB.

Even if you have an elite QB, you still need a defense. 

9 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Ye gods..  I leave for a while and we're talking ourselves into Minshew?

Feels like stumbling into a wet basement full of refugees trying to figure out which piss is best to drink.

Either go up and get your qb this year, or build return can't miss building blocks like OT, DL and start foles so we get a good pick next year. And next year's qb class is puzzling at best

No GM or HC in their right minds are doing this...especially one in a make or break year...these guys don't care about how high the next draft pick is...they care about winning now...Foles doesn't really give us a chance of doing that...Minshew does because he actually has a bit of flair to his game where he can create for others...Foles can't.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

No GM or HC in their right minds are doing this...especially one in a make or break year...these guys don't care about how high the next draft pick is...they care about winning now...Foles doesn't really give us a chance of doing that...Minshew does because he actually has a bit of flair to his game where he can create for others...Foles can't.

Minshew would a good option if the draft does not break our way.

• Like 3