Future QB Discussion

G08

2 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Bears fans when team trades for a DE and only gives up what he is worth (Peppers): Yes! Super Bowl! 

Bears fans when team trades for a QB and gives up WAY too much for what he is worth: Bad move, we’ll never be able to build around him.

FIFY.

31 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

If Trask is gone at 7, I'll venmo you $1000. I'd be pretty surprised if Jones is off the board too. Honestly if the Bears come away with 1 of those 2, I'd be 50% pissed and 50% excited because I know Foles + Jones or Trask guarantees another crappy year and consequently (thankfully) a new GM and HC

😆 No need to go that far. There are a whole bunch of variables at play with the position, just like last off-season, so I wouldn't count on things breaking in either direction. At least at this point. 

I don't have a WHOLE lot of problems with either Jones or Trask. Both guys are solid, heck, they both may even work out. I'd say the odds are fairly decent that they could end up being better than Mitch. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

It now sounds like Watson wants out of Houston no matter what. 

Stuff just gets more and more interesting...

John McClain, arguably the most tuned in Texans writer, says Houston will want the Jets' 1 and 2 this year, 1 and 2 next year and Quinnen Williams. That seems overly absurd imo

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

John McClain, arguably the most tuned in Texans writer, says Houston will want the Jets' 1 and 2 this year, 1 and 2 next year and Quinnen Williams. That seems overly absurd imo

That IS totally absurd. While it does sound like Watson prefers the Jets, that doesn't mean the Texans now have some sort of upper hand in any potential discussions. Either Caserio is smoking something, or that's a high starting point, negotiating bluff. 

Edited by Heinz D.

7 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

So how do you expect to ever get a QB? 

If Trask is gone at 7, I'll venmo you $1000. I'd be pretty surprised if Jones is off the board too. Honestly if the Bears come away with 1 of those 2, I'd be 50% pissed and 50% excited because I know Foles + Jones or Trask guarantees another crappy year and consequently (thankfully) a new GM and HC

You do it like any team.  You draft one when you have a top ten pick, trade up if within reason, get lucky on a good player who falls, or get one in FA under some circumstances.  

Trading your best young players and multiple first and second rounders for a QB in his 2nd contract when your team is on decline is not a winning formula. 

Maybe you just don’t get ideal QB in 2021.   Maybe you also shouldn’t mortgage future of team for a lame duck coach and GM. 

If Watson can’t win in Houston with comparable talent recently and significantly better talent in past how is he going to win for Bears sans it’s current best young talent and future draft picks?  And when he won’t be on rookie deal any longer?  Magic?  

Jordan couldn’t win on a bad team with just 5 guys playing at a time and he plays offense and defense.  You need help. 

47 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

f Watson can’t win in Houston with comparable talent recently and significantly better talent in past how is he going to win for Bears sans it’s current best young talent and future draft picks?  And when he won’t be on rookie deal any longer?  Magic?  

That's more of an argument against Watson being worth trading for, than an argument against going super hard for a QB who can be elite.

The stats for teams in competition for a ring every year overwhelmingly favor elite QBs. There's not really an upper price ceiling on getting one, because either you have one, or you are statistically a complete non factor regardless.

I put this up in General:

I think this is best decided like I did with Jamal Adams.  

Representing your favorite team, what would you trade, if anything, for:

1) Stafford.

2) Watson

3) Rodgers.

Go.  

Note:  Most all of us under guessed what a team would give for Adams.  But I also think Seahawks over payed.

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I put this up in General:

I think this is best decided like I did with Jamal Adams.  

Representing your favorite team, what would you trade, if anything, for:

1) Stafford.

2) Watson

3) Rodgers.

Go.  

Note:  Most all of us under guessed what a team would give for Adams.  But I also think Seahawks over payed.

Just spit balling...

1) Stafford 1st & 3rd & 5th (2021)

2) Watson 1st & 2nd (2021) + 1st & 2nd (2022) + a late pick or two

3) Rodgers 1st & 2nd (2021) & 1st (2022)

13 hours ago, Epyon said:

That's more of an argument against Watson being worth trading for, than an argument against going super hard for a QB who can be elite.

The stats for teams in competition for a ring every year overwhelmingly favor elite QBs. There's not really an upper price ceiling on getting one, because either you have one, or you are statistically a complete non factor regardless.

I am 100% in favor of getting an elite QB.  That is everyone's goal.  My point is if you don't have parts around him it doesn't matter if you have elite QB.    He can't do it by himself.

And if you have someone as costly as Watson in terms of combination of trade and salary you cannot acquire enough necessary parts to be a team that can win it all.   So if you make that move you will be miring yourself in mediocrity for next 5-8 years.

If Watson cost a first rounder great, do it.   If he costs a first and 2nd, do it.   

But there is a price that is too high.   And that is price Houston will demand.  For example, if he costs 3 first rounders, a 2nd and your best current young players then it is team suicide for a long time.

You would love to drive a Lamborghini, but price stops you from doing it because now you can't afford to have a house or food or take a vacation ever.  Same concept.  

2 hours ago, BP42 said:

If the following are available and wouldn’t cost an absolute ton who would you take? 

1. Jimmy G.

2. Gardner

3. Sam Darnold

I'd probably say Jimmy because I am assuming you mean he will be cut and then Bears can sign him at a reasonable deal without having to give up any draft picks.

If we have to give up draft picks then he moves to the bottom of the list because his salary is just way too high.

In that case I'd go Darnold first because of the talent and then Minshew last resort.