Future QB Discussion

G08

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Well, no they don't actually. If it's over, it's over. 

They're not trading Hurts. 

Eagles are more likely to trade Hurts now that it's public knowledge that they fired Pederson because he no longer wanted Wentz and because of the significant investment the Eagles have made in him.

Their GM Roseman even said there's no way he can see the team moving forward without Wentz. It's pretty clear he'll be in Philly for at least another year barring a crazy trade offer from some team

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

We don't know that, yet. It hardly matters either way, though. Unless Pace is idiotic enough to trade for Wentz. Which I doubt is the case. 

Pace is going to be a desperate man this offseason so I don't think we can rule anything out

IMO the Bears embrace a full 85 Bears nostalgia trip.

Sell the farm and go up and get the injury prone BYU QB named Zach Wilson  (McMahon)

Get Rex Ryan in to run the defense.  (Buddy Ryan)

Give Akiem Hicks some goal line rushes instead of of Patterson  (The Fridge)

The rest of the offense runs through Montgomery (Payton) and the speedster Mooney (Gault)

85 Nostalgia is like the one marketable thing the Bears have right now, might as well go all in on it. Hell, even give Wilson a tinted lense for his helmet to really hammer it home.

Oh, and with whatever picks or draft capital remaining, fix the damn OTs and get some damn speed at WR other than mooney, because the lack of speed is honestly one of the biggest reasons the KC version of our offense actually works. They've got like 5 guys faster than all but 1 of ours.

• Like 2

Based on potential.

Average or higher tier: 
Rivers - But doesn't belong anywhere near a RPO heavy system. If Nagy revamps his style then this would be a good signing if applicable.  If he returns he'll resign with the Colts. 

Stafford - Although he lacks mobility he is arguably the most flexible QB on this list in terms of adapting to a new system.  Would be a good signing but also too expensive. He'll be looking for his last big paycheck in the form of a 3 year deal and the Lions won't trade him to a division rival anyhow without steep compensation)

Borderline average tier:
Prescott - If the Boys don't extend him then his asking price on the free market would cost too much. Besides, signing Dak to a long-term would be a massive mistake that would cripple this team for the next 5 years. 

Alex Smith and Jimmy G would be decent 1 year game manager stop-gaps but you had better have the rookie QB up to speed and ready to go at a moments notice because both of them are a high risk of injury. This doesn't move the needle much but it's better than seeing another game with Mitch or Foles at the helm.

If you go after anyone else on the list below then you're better off keeping Foles or Mitch at a cheaper rate because talent wise they are pretty much on par with the others and at least Mitch/Foles already know the system and are not coming in off the street trying to learn a new [chaotic] offense. 

Bottom tier starters:
Jimmy G
Newton (Gut feeling that I hope I'm wrong about---I've been saying it for the last couple)years)
Smith
Wentz
Darnold
Haskins
Mitch

Top tier backups:
Fitz
Dalton
Foles
Winston

Bottom feeder backups:
Brissett
Tyrod

43 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Based on potential.

Average or higher tier: 
Rivers - But doesn't belong anywhere near a RPO heavy system. If Nagy revamps his style then this would be a good signing if applicable.  If he returns he'll resign with the Colts. 

Stafford - Although he lacks mobility he is arguably the most flexible QB on this list in terms of adapting to a new system.  Would be a good signing but also too expensive. He'll be looking for his last big paycheck in the form of a 3 year deal and the Lions won't trade him to a division rival anyhow without steep compensation)

Borderline average tier:
Prescott - If the Boys don't extend him then his asking price on the free market would cost too much. Besides, signing Dak to a long-term would be a massive mistake that would cripple this team for the next 5 years. 

Alex Smith and Jimmy G would be decent 1 year game manager stop-gaps but you had better have the rookie QB up to speed and ready to go at a moments notice because both of them are a high risk of injury. This doesn't move the needle much but it's better than seeing another game with Mitch or Foles at the helm.

If you go after anyone else on the list below then you're better off keeping Foles or Mitch at a cheaper rate because talent wise they are pretty much on par with the others and at least Mitch/Foles already know the system and are not coming in off the street trying to learn a new [chaotic] offense. 

Bottom tier starters:
Jimmy G
Newton (Gut feeling that I hope I'm wrong about---I've been saying it for the last couple)years)
Smith
Wentz
Darnold
Haskins
Mitch

Top tier backups:
Fitz
Dalton
Foles
Winston

Bottom feeder backups:
Brissett
Tyrod

That list makes me want to trade all my draft picks to get into the top 5.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Based on potential.

Average or higher tier: 

Borderline average tier:

Bottom tier starters:
Jimmy G
Smith
Wentz
Darnold
Haskins
Mitch

Top tier backups:
Fitz
Dalton
Foles
Winston

Bottom feeder backups:
Brissett
Tyrod

Are you dropping Prescott because of his injury? I would think he has more potential than Rivers.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, G08 said:

Well, here we are. Standing in line for another spin on the never ending Chicago Bears QB Ferris Wheel.

I'm sure my thoughts will change numerous times this off-season as more information becomes available regarding our scheme, available QBs in FA or via trade, potential draft picks etc. We will have our options but how does one maxamize a run in 2021 while developing a QB for the future?

I can envision a scenario in which Mitch Trubisky returns, with another off-season fully dedicated on tweaking the "Shanahan" offense that we were running late in the season. In doing to, you can focus on drafting at WR and OL with our first two picks. Place a heavy emphasis on running the ball, hope your defense returns to form and bang out 10 wins and save your jobs (Nagy and Pace).

Another scenario involves Nick Foles being our starter, no questions asked, with a cheap veteran backup as QB2. In this instance, we might have to trade up to draft a young QB (unless someone we like falls to us at 20). We likely will have to spend multiple picks on the OL and potentially rely on a day 2/3 rookie WR or a second tier FA to contribute immediately.

The final scenario is trading picks for Sam Darnold. Not sure what the cost would be, I'd imagine at least a 2nd and a 6th (Josh Rosen went for a 2 and a 5 IIRC). Darnold only has one year remaining on his contract so I think he would be the starter with Foles being a helpful backup. Perhaps trade down in the first to recoup some picks and then focus on OL and WR. We need more speed at the position and protection for the QB.

Regardless, these clowns have their work cut out for them. Either Nagy has a "come to Jesus" moment and abandons his bull**** offense or he doubles down and we put resources into hoping Foles will be our savior. I think the Sam Darnold route would be a stretch, but you never know with this franchise.

Rosen was traded for a 2 and a 5 after being only 1 year removed from a top 10 pick.  He was bad but there still was the uncertainty of he may be good.  Darnold is 3 years removed from the #3 overall pick and has been bad each of those years.  He's Tru at the start of this year, but w/o the good stuff. What do you think Trus value was to start the year? Subtract a round and you'll get Darnolds.

13 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Well, no they don't actually. If it's over, it's over. 

They're not trading Hurts. 

They're trading one of them, you cant keep both of them in that lockeroom together, it will be a disaster, contract likely means its Hurts.  You have to give them their 2nd back, which is fine, and a sweetener.  Maybe a 3rd that can become a 2.  This may be the most likely scenario

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think the most likely scenario is that the Bears trade to 9-11 and target Lance or Jones.

I think out of all the trade partners Atlanta seems the most realistic to me, especially if they end up hiring Arthur Smith and Terry Fontenot.

Pace knows Fontenot well from their time together in NO and it seems like Falcons will choose to roll with Ryan at QB because he's still a good QB and is owed a lot of money, and Smith is being considered because Falcons still believe they can win now and he has a good reputation for being able to get the most out of QB's.

That being said, besides Sewell, I don't know if there's another prospect in the top-5 that would make Atlanta feel that they need to stay put.

Based on what I'm hearing right now the top-3 could very well go as follows:

1 - Lawrence

2 - Sewell

3 - Dev. Smith

If that's the case then expect Falcons to trade down and Bears to be interested. Wonder what it would take to make that move.

I also think there's a good chance that Trey Lance will fall.  He comes from an FCS school with 1-year of experience and didn't play in 2020.  Teams will be cautious of that after what we saw with Mitch and other 1-year starters who got drafted high.

Edited by topwop1

5 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I think out of all the trade partners Atlanta seems the most realistic to me, especially if they end up hiring Arthur Smith and Terry Fontenot.

Pace knows Fontenot well from their time together in NO and it seems like Falcons will choose to roll with Ryan at QB because he's still a good QB and is owed a lot of money, and Smith is being considered because Falcons still believe they can win now and he has a good reputation for being able to get the most out of QB's.

That being said, besides Sewell, I don't know if there's another prospect in the top-5 that would make Atlanta feel that they need to stay put.

Based on what I'm hearing right now the top-3 could very well go as follows:

1 - Lawrence

2 - Sewell

3 - Dev. Smith

If that's the case then expect Falcons to trade down and Bears to be interested. Wonder what it would take to make that move.

I also think there's a good chance that Trey Lance will fall.  He comes from an FCS school with 1-year of experience and didn't play in 2020.  Teams will be cautious of that after what we saw with Mitch and other 1-year starters who got drafted high.

That is a long way for the Falcons to drop.

Could be. We would be paying out the nose for that pick.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

That is a long way for the Falcons to drop.

Could be. We would be paying out the nose for that pick.

For sure. It would likely have to be very similar to what Rams gave up to Titans to move up 15 spots for Goff in 2016.

Two 1sts (2021, 2022)

Two 2nds (2021, 2022)

One 3rd (2022)

Would you guys be willing to part with a package like that for Fields or Wilson or would you rather play it more safe and see if Mac Jones or Trey Lance fall?