Future QB Discussion

G08

2 hours ago, G08 said:

The most Bearsian thing in the world would be to bypass a chance to draft this kid via a trade down, accumulating extra draft picks in the process, only to acquire him and his large contract 5 years later while coughing up 3 first round picks and possibly more.

Oh, and the QB we did draft instead, we traded up for, burning extra draft picks, only to have him walk as a free agent.

Awesome.

GOBEARS.gif

To top it off we make the trade and he gets hurt or arrested or his play drops off dramatically.  

The Panthers are a real threat.

8th overall pick

Watson is a Carolina legend

They have a self made billionaire owner with progressive politics. Watson seems to hate Cal McNair who is viewed as an incompetent who inherited his wealth and position... sound familiar.

• Like 2

Pace: Hey guys I am willing to offer the 20th pick and a bunch of other picks for Deshaun.

Houston: Miami offered us the 3rd pick and a bunch of other picks.

Pace: Did I tell you how desperate I am for a QB?

Houston: The Jets also offered us the 2nd pick and a bunch of other picks for Deshaun and with that pick we could take another QB.

Pace: Have I mentioned how much conviction we have over here about getting Deshaun.

Houston: Carolina also called and offered us the 8th pick and a bunch of other picks and we think we can land a QB with that package.

Pace: Did I mention that we are really collaborating over here at Halas Hall.

Houston: Dial Tone

End Scene

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Pace: Hey guys I am willing to offer the 20th pick and a bunch of other picks for Deshaun.

Houston: The Jets also offered us the 2nd pick and a bunch of other picks for Deshaun and with that pick we could take another QB.

Pace: Have I mentioned how much conviction we have over here about getting Deshaun.

Houston: Carolina also called and offered us the 8th pick and a bunch of other picks and we think we can land a QB with that package.

End Scene

God your act is almost as old as their act. 

You forgot one little part in your story. I'll add it.

Deshaun's Agent: Deshaun doesn't want to go to the Jets *Hangs up phone*. 

Edited by GOGRIESE
  • Like 1

This is why it isn't cut and dry. You have to win over Watson first. It's almost parallels what's going on in the NBA. Player X says he wants to be traded but will give over recommendations of teams. The team will then negotiate with them not outside of the list. We have to figure out how to get on that list. 

Edited by GOGRIESE

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

To top it off we make the trade and he gets hurt or arrested or his play drops off dramatically.  

Just curious.  Why did you mention the possibility of him being arrested?  I also saw you mentioned earlier that he likes a lot of bling.  Not being argumentative, just trying to find the basis for these statements.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:
1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Just curious.  Why did you mention the possibility of him being arrested?  I also saw you mentioned earlier that he likes a lot of bling.  Not being argumentative, just trying to find the basis for these statements.

Eek

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

The Panthers are a real threat.

8th overall pick

Watson is a Carolina legend

They have a self made billionaire owner with progressive politics. Watson seems to hate Cal McNair who is viewed as an incompetent who inherited his wealth and position... sound familiar.

I mean, I guess? Without looking to be 100% correct I'd assume Clemson, SC and Charlotte, NC aren't within 100 miles of one another

Edited by beardown3231

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

"Strong push"? Meh. They'll make an offer, sure. But the Dolphins can offer Tua and the third pick. The Jets can offer the second pick. It'll all boil down to whether Watson can be sold on coming to Chicago. Right now it doesn't sound at all like he's interested. Maybe that could change, but I doubt it. 

4 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

20) CHI = We don't have the ammo to get Watson, Stafford, or Dak and are too low in the draft order to have a realistic shot at Mac, especially with Washington sitting right in front of us. 

So we either;

• A) Trade up to 15th or 12th spot to get Mac. 
  • B) Take a reach on Trask (depending on they feel about him--God I hope not).
  • C) Stand pat and go OT (or EDGE) in the 1st and see if Trask is still there in the 2nd. Or trade up in the 2nd to get Trask (again, depending on they feel about him).

I could see option A happening, but at this point I'm leaning more towards option C. 

The franchise tag is SUPPOSED to be a good faith maneuver by a team. Now, we all know that this premise has been tested, and stretched, but if Jerry were to franchise Dak, then try to trade him...it would be a really nasty thing and a very big deal. And I'm not at all certain he could get away with it. And...yet again, the Lions aren't trading Stafford to the Bears. They'll trade him to an AFC team, most likely Indy. How everything shakes out after that...hard to say. 

3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

The Jets and Miami have the 2nd and 3rd overall picks in the draft and even they would have to give up multiple 1s and 2s to get Watson.  I can't imagine how much it would take for the Bears at 20 to get him. Someone may have to give up their child.  

It would be hard, yeah. Agreed. As I said above, Watson would have to really want to be a Bear...

2 hours ago, GOGRIESE said:

Deshaun's Agent: Deshaun doesn't want to go to the Jets *Hangs up phone*. 

Uhhh...as of right now, it's been widely reported that Watson's preferred destination is the Jets. 

And the Jets could give the Texans the pick that could give them Fields or Wilson. Or include Darnold as an option, then leave the Texans able to grab DeVonta Smith/Ja'Marr Chase or maybe Patrick Surtain II. 

2 hours ago, GOGRIESE said:

This is why it isn't cut and dry. You have to win over Watson first. It's almost parallels what's going on in the NBA. Player X says he wants to be traded but will give over recommendations of teams. The team will then negotiate with them not outside of the list. We have to figure out how to get on that list. 

Pace essentially took him off his list in the lead up to the 2017 draft and people really expect him to want to come here now? I find that hard to believe

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

End Scene

Lol I had a good chuckle at the "conviction" and "collaboration" throw ins. 

You just forgot to add from Pace that he is "real fired up" to make a deal.

28 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Lol I had a good chuckle at the "conviction" and "collaboration" throw ins. 

You just forgot to add from Pace that he is "real fired up" to make a deal.

If he would have said #conviction I think the trade goes through.

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

The franchise tag is SUPPOSED to be a good faith maneuver by a team. Now, we all know that this premise has been tested, and stretched, but if Jerry were to franchise Dak, then try to trade him...it would be a really nasty thing and a very big deal. And I'm not at all certain he could get away with it. And...yet again, the Lions aren't trading Stafford to the Bears. They'll trade him to an AFC team, most likely Indy. How everything shakes out after that...hard to say. 

It would be hard, yeah. Agreed. As I said above, Watson would have to really want to be a Bear...

There's nothing preventing them from doing it unless the franchise has a no trade claus. They franchise him then they own his rights.

Agree, and why would he? Lame duck HC who hasnt ran an offensive system in 4 years. That's not appealing to any FA who isnt hoping for a flier kind of contract and an assured starting role for that year.