Future QB Discussion

G08

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Ok what about a trade to #6 or 7 then lol? It doesn't have to be a trade up to picks 2 through 5.

One of Fields or Wilson could very well be there at 6 or 7 and Philly and Detroit could very well want to trade out of those spots

You're underestimating the power of Pace desperation

I am not. I think you are underestimating team desire not to miss on the elite talent by dropping down to 20.

If you want your guy you need to move as high as possible.

If you are happy trading multiple 1st round picks for whoever is left then 6-8 may work.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

This is quickly turning into a seller's market.

Do you send two firsts for Derek freaking Carr? I sure as hell don't.

Two seconds? Sign me up.

2 1sts seems excessive.

20 or 2 2nds seems reasonable.

He is 10x better than what we have had over the last 5-6 years. 

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Saggitariutt Jefferspin, Texas A&M
D’Glester Hardunkichud, University of Wisconsin
Swirvithan L’Goodling-Splatt, Saskatchewan University
Quatro Quatro, San Jose State University
Ozamataz Buckshank, Stanford University

Have stood out for me.

Did you choose the guys with the craziest names, or did i just have a stroke?  Anyone else smell toast?

20 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

2 1sts seems excessive.

20 or 2 2nds seems reasonable.

He is 10x better than what we have had over the last 5-6 years. 

Carr's first 4 years in the league: 61.3%, 4.6 TD%, 2.0 INT%, 6.5 YPA, 87.5 rating

Trubisky's first 4 years in the league: 64%, 4.1 TD%, 2.3 INT%, 6.7 YPA, 87.2 rating

Are we just swapping Trubisky for a more experienced Trubisky?

Edited by G08

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

Carr's first 4 years in the league: 61.3%, 14,690 yards, 4.6 TD%, 2.0 INT%, 6.5 YPA 87.5 rating

Trubisky's first 4 years in the league: 64%, 10,609 yards, 4.1 TD%, 2.3 INT%, 6.7 YPA, 87.2 rating

Are we just swapping Trubisky for a more experienced Trubisky?

1. Carr’s numbers are better. Not way better, but better.

2. Do you think over the next 3 years Mitch will throw for 12000 yards, 67 TDs and 27 INTs?

If you do... then we should re-sign Mitch.

If you don’t then Carr is a major upgrade.

More TDs and less INTs for Carr, however we would have to consider John Fox / Dowell Loggains for Trubisky's rookie season. 

Pretty sure Fox was gloating after winning a game in which Trubisky threw 7 times. 

1 minute ago, G08 said:

More TDs and less INTs for Carr, however we would have to consider John Fox / Dowell Loggains for Trubisky's rookie season. 

Pretty sure Fox was gloating after winning a game in which Trubisky threw 7 times. 

Carr did get to play for the innovative offensive minded coach Jack Del Rio for 4 years.

16 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Carr did get to play for the innovative offensive minded coach Jack Del Rio for 4 years.

Bill Musgrave >>> Dowell Loggains.

Had the 17th and 7th scoring offenses their first two seasons together... 

Edited by G08

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

In the hellscape of QB options this year if we can get Carr for a 1st it is a big upgrade. We aren’t getting a better QB at 20.

No argument here. I've always liked Derek Carr, I just think he's a tuned up Trubisky. 

On 2/1/2021 at 7:05 AM, blkwdw13 said:

Doesn’t the new CBA have high daily fines for holding out which would make him not hold out. Not to the tune of $30 million but something that would affect him. 

If I'm not mistaken.  Per the CBA, it's an additional 1% of his base salary for each game, mandatory practice, and meeting (about 1.1M per game for Watson including his base salary--that's at MAX 18M (will get into this later). And that's me doing the math for 180 days straight and we know that they don't practice or have mandatory meetings every day of the week--ALL players get Tuesdays off (per the CBA), and condition practices are not mandated. 

But it's not that simple either.  Watson has 4 years accrued years in the league and so he's considered a "vet player", per the CBA, and that makes him eligible to be fined for "detrimental conduct". However, he would also be considered a first time offender which also significantly lowers the impact. 

The amount he would lose per game (outside of his base salary) is a relatively low amount for a player of his stature who just signed a large 150+ million dollar deal with over 75M guaranteed when you think about it.  He makes that money back on tax write-offs and then some. Especially living in Texas where they have no state taxes and are very lenient when it comes to accepting tax exemptions. 

tldr: Assuming Watson chose to sit out the entire year then he wouldn't do it until the 2021 year officially begins (March) so that he could still collect a 100% of his earned proceeds for the 2020 season and the total loss would be around 12-15M. 

10.5M in base salary. Plus he would lose out on PBP money (performance based pool-- which is a very small amount that each team is required to set aside for the league for each player). I'm not going to do the full math here for Watson based on the NFL's weird methodology, but it's basically a pool of money that each team throws into to give to each player in league based on playing time, and because Watson would be holding out he would not eligible to receive this money. 

He would also likely sit out of training camp and preseason....for the majority of it, anyhow.  

This means he faces a forfeitable breach of contract strike against him (first offense) if he misses 6 days of training camp (5 days is okay), which could also cost him a max 15% of his salary-- 1.6M (but that's max and no team actually pushes for it because they know the union will fight it unless it's like a Hernandez situation). 

IF he were to miss 6 days of training camp AND miss preseason, then he could be charged a max 25% of his salary--3.7M.  But again that's max.