Jump to content

Future QB Discussion


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Though let's just say for fun Eagles offered Bears Wentz + a 2nd round pick for Foles and a 5th would any of you guys make that trade?  I think I would.

I'm all for picking up earlier draft picks but that contract makes that a big no for me. $30+ mil per year for a guy that needs a lot of help to hopefully bounce back isnt in the cards for me. We have two bad OTs, Mooney is our number one receiver, and we are cap strapped so we will be hit REALLY hard with that albatross being dumped on us. Plus Nagy inspires zero faith in me that he can help get him back to the "good Wentz" play. 

 

I'm with @JAF-N72EX that we either draft a QB this year (with only 2021 resources) or roll with the crap show that is Foles and a cheap competitor and use the picks to boost the talent around the team. 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just can't see them rolling into the draft with only Foles.

If they miss in the draft, which is not a crazy idea when you are picking 20, they are likely done in Chicago. Foles is terrible and they will get booed off the field.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I'm all for picking up earlier draft picks but that contract makes that a big no for me. $30+ mil per year for a guy that needs a lot of help to hopefully bounce back isnt in the cards for me. We have two bad OTs, Mooney is our number one receiver, and we are cap strapped so we will be hit REALLY hard with that albatross being dumped on us. Plus Nagy inspires zero faith in me that he can help get him back to the "good Wentz" play. 

 

I'm with @JAF-N72EX that we either draft a QB this year (with only 2021 resources) or roll with the crap show that is Foles and a cheap competitor and use the picks to boost the talent around the team. 

I also agree with that approach but I don't see Pace/Nagy wanting to do things that way. Their jobs are on the line.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

I also agree with that approach but I don't see Pace/Nagy wanting to do things that way. Their jobs are on the line.

Definitely. They're going to make a move, if I had to put money down I'd say we go into the draft minus a 1-3 rounder. They're hoping to move into mediocrity at the position but still likely fall short. 

I just saw that PHI is receiving calls from teams hoping to trade for Wentz. With that contract they should be giving away at least 1 first to get rid of him. He is still talented but fixing him is going to be a mountainous challenge. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, malagabears said:

Fishbain: Don't discard a scenario where Foles is a bridge starter in September. 🤮🤮🤮

 

If they draft a rookie, be it top-10 in a trade up, 20th overall or even later then there's still a good chance that Foles starts the season as QB1.

Only way I don't see that scenario is if he gets severely outplayed in camp by a rookie and the coaching staff has no choice, or if they bring in a veteran via trade or FA who's arguably better than Foles and who makes more salary

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I'm all for picking up earlier draft picks but that contract makes that a big no for me. $30+ mil per year for a guy that needs a lot of help to hopefully bounce back isnt in the cards for me. We have two bad OTs, Mooney is our number one receiver, and we are cap strapped so we will be hit REALLY hard with that albatross being dumped on us. Plus Nagy inspires zero faith in me that he can help get him back to the "good Wentz" play. 

 

I'm with @JAF-N72EX that we either draft a QB this year (with only 2021 resources) or roll with the crap show that is Foles and a cheap competitor and use the picks to boost the talent around the team. 

 

 

Fair enough...like I said the Wentz contract is gross and it would probably mean bye bye to Allen Robinson, but in my trade scenario Bears would still have their 1st & two 2nds to address the OL WR and whatever else..  They could even trade down from 20 and accumulate more picks and possibly fetch another 1st rounder for next year or they could use their 1st and one of the 2nds to trade up for a guy like Kyle Pitts or Jamarr Chase and then address OL in the 2nd with their other pick..

I'm just trying to think of some creative options to improve the offense as a whole

Trading for Wentz could hypothetically allow for that to happen seeing as what Rams had to give up to get rid of Goff

Just saying don't rule it out.. There are already two different angles here with Pace having liked Wentz during his draft year and John DeFilippo having coached Wentz to his most successful season to date as a pro...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I don't think Wentz is as bad as people are making him out to be.

How can you say that with any certainty?

And therein lies the problem. We don't know what Wentz is. No one knows what Wentz is. 

Except overpaid, that is. 

7 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Though let's just say for fun Eagles offered Bears Wentz + a 2nd round pick for Foles and a 5th would any of you guys make that trade?  I think I would.

It depends on how much longer Wentz's contract is so completely ridiculous, and I don't know the answer to that offhand.

If he could be cut after a season or two, with little blowback, then yeah...I'd be tempted to make the deal. 

But I'd also draft another quarterback, or two, instead of more cornerbacks...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

How can you say that with any certainty?

And therein lies the problem. We don't know what Wentz is. No one knows what Wentz is. 

Except overpaid, that is. 

It depends on how much longer Wentz's contract is so completely ridiculous, and I don't know the answer to that offhand.

If he could be cut after a season or two, with little blowback, then yeah...I'd be tempted to make the deal. 

But I'd also draft another quarterback, or two, instead of more cornerbacks...

He can be cut after next season with a $24.5M dead cap hit or after the 2022 season with a $15M dead cap hit ...so any team would basically be committing to him for 2 years if they make a trade for him.

But let's say hypothetically Pace & Nagy trade for him and he bombs and they are both fired at the end of next season ...then it's not completely out of the question for a new management team to come in and blow everything up and just take the dead cap hit since most of Wentz's guarantees would have been paid already minus $15M

Edited by topwop1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We don’t really have the cap room to screw around with Wentz. Likely costs us Robinson which makes the draft pick a moot point.

I also don’t think they are looking to Osweiler him.

He also seems to be a bit of a B.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

We don’t really have the cap room to screw around with Wentz. Likely costs us Robinson which makes the draft pick a moot point.

I also don’t think they are looking to Osweiler him.

He also seems to be a bit of a B.

Well then I don't see how he gets traded then. Eagles aren't exactly working from a position of strength here

Can't imagine any teams are going to be lining up to trade assets for an injury prone QB that has a lot of things working against him right now 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's going to be an ugly off season methinks. Desperate men do desperate things. It will be interesting to see just how trade capital Pace will have blown just to get another shot at QB via trade. 

Edited by malagabears
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, malagabears said:

It's going to be an ugly off season methinks. Desperate men do desperate things. It will be interesting to see just how trade capital Pace will have blown just to get another shot at QB via trade. 

Desperate is one step away from dumb.  When someone is desperate then they make poor short term decisions that screw up their long term intrests.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...