Future QB Discussion

G08

4 hours ago, FosterTheSkins said:

Desperate is one step away from dumb.  When someone is desperate then they make poor short term decisions that screw up their long term intrests.

Well in this case it's going to be for a QB. Picking the right QB no matter the draft pick capital given up will be the right decision. We'll see what Pace comes up with. But I have no fear about trading a large amount of draft picks for potentially the best QB the Chicago Bears will have ever had. That's not Carson Wentz by the way. 

Also I don't see a point in starting Nick Foles if you draft a QB high in a trade up. Chances are that QB is going to be better than Nick Foles on the outset. Probably more mobile too. Did Tyrod Taylor need to start for Justin Herbert? No. Don't waste games. Start the rookie game 1. 

4 hours ago, FosterTheSkins said:

Desperate is one step away from dumb.  When someone is desperate then they make poor short term decisions that screw up their long term intrests.

Ryan Pace is desperate. He has no long term interest in the Bears right now. He has to win next year.

If he trades up for Lance, Wilson or Fields he buys himself another 2 years... unless right off of the bat they look horrible.

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

I can’t see any scenario where Bears improve the overall team in 2021 by trading big for a QB. 

Their best bet IMO is to wait until next year since most of league is trying to acquire new guys this year.

Let things shake out a bit.  

Only other hope is to get lucky on a mis scouted guy or guy that falls while standing pat in draft ala Aaron Rodgers, Brady or Marino.  Problem with that is so many teams ahead f Bears are ready to swing at any pitch this year.  

You would have to find a Brady, someone no one really wants who is secretly good.   Good luck with that.

Best for franchise if they wait.  Best for Pace if they do crazy crap this year.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

I can’t see any scenario where Bears improve the overall team in 2021 by trading big for a QB. 

Their best bet IMO is to wait until next year since most of league is trying to acquire new guys this year.

Let things shake out a bit.  

Only other hope is to get lucky on a mis scouted guy or guy that falls while standing pat in draft ala Aaron Rodgers, Brady or Marino.  Problem with that is so many teams ahead f Bears are ready to swing at any pitch this year.  

You would have to find a Brady, someone no one really wants who is secretly good.   Good luck with that.

Best for franchise if they wait.  Best for Pace if they do crazy crap this year.   

Let me amend if they trade only future draft picks for Watson they will be better in 2021.  But I don’t see that happening.  Bears will get fleeced in a Watson trade IF it were to happen which is a crazy long shot.  

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

Let me amend if they trade only future draft picks for Watson they will be better in 2021.  But I don’t see that happening.  Bears will get fleeced in a Watson trade IF it were to happen which is a crazy long shot.  

I still think and I reiterate an earlier longer post that Pace and Nagy best chance to save their jobs isn’t to do crazy splash move, but to do nothing. 

Run it back with your core guys and MT and Robinson.  That is best team you could make on short notice.  New guys have learning curves and you aren’t that great of a coach.  Young players are pretty good; Nichols, Mooney, Smith, Johnson, Kmet.  

Humans in power never accept sometimes the best solution is to do little to nothing or stand pat. Massive change always sounds better.  

33 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I still think and I reiterate an earlier longer post that Pace and Nagy best chance to save their jobs isn’t to do crazy splash move, but to do nothing. 

Run it back with your core guys and MT and Robinson.  That is best team you could make on short notice.  New guys have learning curves and you aren’t that great of a coach.  Young players are pretty good; Nichols, Mooney, Smith, Johnson, Kmet.  

Humans in power never accept sometimes the best solution is to do little to nothing or stand pat. Massive change always sounds better.  

Agreed 100%, which is why that's not what the Bears will do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GOGRIESE said:

Also I don't see a point in starting Nick Foles if you draft a QB high in a trade up. Chances are that QB is going to be better than Nick Foles on the outset. Probably more mobile too. Did Tyrod Taylor need to start for Justin Herbert? No. Don't waste games. Start the rookie game 1. 

Right..but this is assuming Bears are able to make a trade up to draft a top-3 QB prospect like Justin Herbert was. i.e. Wilson or Fields.

If they end up with a guy like Trey Lance though then it's likely he won't be ready to start from day 1 and will be best served sitting behind a veteran for a bit.

Presumably Nagy & Pace need to win a lot of games, make the playoffs again and likely win a game or two in playoffs to save their jobs.  I don't know that you can say any QB in this draft outside of a select few gives them a better shot at doing that than Foles..it's just the reality 

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

This Wentz stuff is making me nervous.

Unfortunately, I keep thinking the same thing for the Bears.  It's like going to a dance alone, hoping to meet a female when you get there.  Then, when you get there, just about everybody is already paired up except for that 300 pounder who keeps making eyes at you. 

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

Unfortunately, I keep thinking the same thing for the Bears.  It's like going to a dance alone, hoping to meet a female when you get there.  Then, when you get there, just about everybody is already paired up except for that 300 pounder who keeps making eyes at you. 

Big women deserve love too.

This is not an endorsement of Carson Wentz, but instead of thic women.

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Big women deserve love too.

This is not an endorsement of Carson Wentz, but instead of thic women.

I really don't get the younger generation's fascination with fat girls, but if that's what you like, more power to you buddy.  Nothing wrong with that.  I'm just from a different era, I guess.

I was mainly just trying to describe how I was feeling about the possibility of the Bears ending up being stuck with Carson Wentz.  It's a foreboding feeling that something you don't want to happen is already almost inevitable.  Personally, I think Wentz is done and would want no part of him.

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

I really don't get the younger generation's fascination with fat girls, but if that's what you like, more power to you buddy.  Nothing wrong with that.  I'm just from a different era, I guess.

I was mainly just trying to describe how I was feeling about the possibility of the Bears ending up being stuck with Carson Wentz.  It's a foreboding feeling that something you don't want to happen is already almost inevitable.  Personally, I think Wentz is done and would want no part of him.

I was joking. Although I am 6'5" 320lbs so we may also have different standards of thicc.

I agree that Wentz would be like picking up the last girl left at the bar. A pure desperation move made by a sad little GM.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

This Wentz stuff is making me nervous.

As far as I've seen so far Bears don't seem to be rumored as interested in Wentz.  Talk is the Colts are interested which makes sense for them since they have the cap space and a HC who knows him well as his former OC.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this properly but if it's true that Doug Pederson wanted nothing to do with Wentz then can we assume that this would make Nagy hesitant to push for him as Bears QB since he and Pederson are good buddies and come from the same Andy Reid school of O?

Just now, topwop1 said:

As far as I've seen so far Bears don't seem to be rumored as interested in Wentz.  Talk is the Colts are interested which makes sense for them since they have the cap space and a HC who knows him well as his former OC.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this properly but if it's true that Doug Pederson wanted nothing to do with Wentz then can we assume that this would make Nagy hesitant to push for him as Bears QB since he and Pederson are good buddies and come from the same Andy Reid school of O?

They were mentioned in an ESPN article.

Maybe Pederson will turn them off of Wentz, but desperation is a hell of a drug.