Jump to content

Future QB Discussion


Recommended Posts

We finally have a first round pick again, and people want to burn that and more future firsts?

Guys. No. We NEED to draft young talent with these picks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, G08 said:

We finally have a first round pick again, and people want to burn that and more future firsts?

Guys. No. We NEED to draft young talent with these picks.

We need a real QB. We have always needed a real QB. For 60 years we have needed a QB. The reason we don't win anything is because we don't have a QB.

If I can get a All Pro QB I am doing it.

 

No amount of James Daniels or Roquan Smith's will have the impact of Deshaun.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, G08 said:

We finally have a first round pick again, and people want to burn that and more future firsts?

Guys. No. We NEED to draft young talent with these picks.

I have no faith in Pace picking elite talent with his first being 20. Hes had four top 10 picks and right now Smith is the ok only one still on the team (assuming Tru is smart enough to run to anywhere else). 

With 19 other teams going before I'm afraid he has a massive bust as he tries to outsmart everyone. 

If we can get a franchise QB like Watson then pay your weight in gold and start trading down, poach practice squads, giving second chances to guys that didnt get re-signed by their drafting team, whatever. I'd give up several firsts and seconds for 2 or 3 years to have that franchise QB for 10. I've never seen Chicago with one yet. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I get that everyone FINALLY wants some stability at QB, but here's the problem with trading the house for Watson. 

If we trade away...lets say....three first round draft picks and two 2nd round picks in 2021 and 2022 then this means we won't have a single pick within the top 75 until the year 2023 and not a single 1st round pick until the year 2024. Watson contract expires in 2025. 

Watson's cap hits are 16M, 40M, 42M, 37M, and 32M over the next 5 years.  So how are we going to build around him for the next 5 years with his contract eating up so much space and very little capital to work with?   Trade away valuable players to regain capital and piss him off like BOB did with Nuk?  Put mediocre players around him and expect him to make magic? You do that and I guarantee he's gone in 5 years and all of that would have been for nothing.

Did we learn nothing from the Cutler trade? We traded him when the defense was getting old and didn't have the capital to retool it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, G08 said:

We finally have a first round pick again, and people want to burn that and more future firsts?

Guys. No. We NEED to draft young talent with these picks.

It seems like we're the only ones seeing this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, G08 said:

Ya'll are crazy.

 

Crazy I tells ya 😄

Crazy is thinking we're ever going to win a Super Bowl or contend without a legitimate QB. We're just spinning our wheels until then.

Who would you rather have right now...Kevin White, Leonard Floyd Mitch Trubisky, Khalil Mack and Roquan Smith or just a Patrick Mahomes/Deshaun Watson.

There's some good players in that former list but it hasn't gotten us very far now has it?

Edited by topwop1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Crazy is thinking we're ever going to win a Super Bowl or contend without a legitimate QB. We're just spinning our wheels until then.

Who would you rather have right now...Kevin White, Leonard Floyd Mitch Trubisky, Khalil Mack and Roquan Smith or just a Patrick Mahomes/Deshaun Watson.

There's some good players in that former list but it hasn't gotten us very far now has it?

Houston hasn't got very far with Watson either. Two 4 win seasons, 2 playoffs, and 1 one and done. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Houston hasn't got very far with Watson either. Two 4 win seasons, 2 playoffs, and 1 one and done. 

If Pace is better than BOB as a GM then he should be able to do better than that, right? If he is as good as you feel he is why couldnt he? Not being antagonistic, but if he and Nagy cant do better than that when they can make 2 playoff appearances with Tru (with Foles and Daniel both also playing in those two seasons) then they clearly aren't worth a damn imo. 

 

Is Nagy that much of a better coach than BOB? If so then we have the advantage over HOU in both the GM and HC so I see no reason they shouldn't be able to piece a competent defense and skill players around him for the next 2-3 years until they get the early picks back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

There's also that nasty issue that the team trading down has to be willing to move that far.  Would the Dolphins or Falcons be interested in moving that far?

The Dolphins definitely would be. They're on the border of top echelon teams as it is. Have them drop seventeen slots, add a good young player, and another first round pick next year? They be pretty stupid not too, considering they already have a second first round pick this year.

The Falcons? Well, a lot depends on whether they want to give up on Ryan. 

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Deshaun just tweeted out some cryptic and angry stuff.

What a tease.

What was it? Wow. That franchise needs a big-time name to come in and settle down everything. What the hell is up with the Texans? 

4 hours ago, G08 said:

We finally have a first round pick again, and people want to burn that and more future firsts?

Knock, knock.

Reality at the door.

We need a quarterback. 

13 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Is Nagy that much of a better coach than BOB? If so then we have the advantage over HOU in both the GM and HC so I see no reason they shouldn't be able to piece a competent defense and skill players around him for the next 2-3 years until they get the early picks back. 

Hmm. That's tough.

Probably? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

If Pace is better than BOB as a GM then he should be able to do better than that, right? If he is as good as you feel he is why couldnt he? Not being antagonistic, but if he and Nagy cant do better than that when they can make 2 playoff appearances with Tru (with Foles and Daniel both also playing in those two seasons) then they clearly aren't worth a damn imo. 

 

Is Nagy that much of a better coach than BOB? If so then we have the advantage over HOU in both the GM and HC so I see no reason they shouldn't be able to piece a competent defense and skill players around him for the next 2-3 years until they get the early picks back. 

It's not the same. BOB had Watson under his rookie contract and didn't have to give up a ton of capital to get him.

My point was that it takes much more than a QB to win a SB. You still have to surround him with talent. 

Either have a historically good offense paired with an average defense or a historically good defense paired with an average offense.  

If you fall anywhere in-between either of those then you need to be able to build efficiently, and that's very hard to do without any cap space or capital. Remember, we have some key players who are close to the end of their contracts too.  It's going to be hard to pay them when your QB is taking up ~18-20% of the effective cap space.

Is this defense still elite without Hicks, Mack, and still need another pass rusher? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Houston hasn't got very far with Watson either. Two 4 win seasons, 2 playoffs, and 1 one and done. 

No they haven't but they are still better off than the Bears as of right now though even without the first round pick this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

No they haven't but they are still better off than the Bears as of right now though even without the first round pick this year.

That's not the point you were making. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I get that everyone FINALLY wants some stability at QB, but here's the problem with trading the house for Watson. 

If we trade away...lets say....three first round draft picks and two 2nd round picks in 2021 and 2022 then this means we won't have a single pick within the top 75 until the year 2023 and not a single 1st round pick until the year 2024. Watson contract expires in 2025. 

Watson's cap hits are 16M, 40M, 42M, 37M, and 32M over the next 5 years.  So how are we going to build around him for the next 5 years with his contract eating up so much space and very little capital to work with?   Trade away valuable players to regain capital and piss him off like BOB did with Nuk?  Put mediocre players around him and expect him to make magic? You do that and I guarantee he's gone in 5 years and all of that would have been for nothing.

Did we learn nothing from the Cutler trade? We traded him when the defense was getting old and didn't have the capital to retool it. 

You make alot of good points. 3 firsts would be way too much for my taste.

I would not do that trade because I agree with your reasoning.

Two firsts and a second and some mid round picks however sign me up. I know that's a pipedream but hey you never know.

Sometimes when a player forces a teams hand they may be available for less than we think

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...