Future QB Discussion

G08

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Two firsts Eagles are out to lunch...two firsts and a player too...gtfo of here 

I don't think any GM is dumb or desperate enough to do that...not even Pace

At least we should all hope not LOL

The massive demands are kind of an old Eagles tactic.  I remember when the talk started about the Eagles possibly trading Donovan McNabb.  The Eagles put out a statement that they would expect multiple first round picks in return for him too.  I don't remember exactly what they wanted, but I do remember it was a ridiculous price compared to what he was worth.

25 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

If we trade for Wentz then we are picking in the top-10 next year and Pace/Nagy are gone.

You are making the dangerous assumption that we will still own next year's first rounder.

37 minutes ago, Pool said:

If we give up 2 1st round picks for Wentz I'm picking another team. Dead *** serious.

It would be hard for me to walk away from the Bears for good, but I would need some serious Bears detox.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

You are making the dangerous assumption that we will still own next year's first rounder.

It would be hard for me to walk away from the Bears for good, but I would need some serious Bears detox.

I can't imagine Pace giving up next years first for Wentz.  IF he gives up a first then it would be for this year. 

58 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

If we trade for Wentz then we are picking in the top-10 next year and Pace/Nagy are gone.

That is if we have our pick.

This was always the danger of keeping a desperate and beleaguered GM.

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 2

Hey fellas - been a while! 

Re: Wentz, I... don’t hate it. Wentz isn’t Watson, but we unfortunately don’t have enough to get Watson so that doesn't really matter. Cost obviously matters. I’m thinking something more like our 2021 2nd and a conditional 2022 pick that could be as high as our 2 if Wentz plays really well in 2021. Alex Smith from SF to KC is a comparable prior move value-wise. I could live with our 1 this year if a pick was coming back, or if a conditional pick in 2022 of consequence was coming back if Wentz stinks. 2 firsts is crazy. 

Any trade for Wentz bets on 2020 being an aberration rather than the new norm for him. He was BAD in 2020, but he also had an injured Lane Johnson, no Brooks, an injured Ertz, an injured Goedert, an injured Jeffery, an injured DJax, an injured Reagor, an injured Sanders, and nearly 40 year old Jason Peters jumping around along the OL. Their topn2 WR this year we’re UDFA Ward and UDFA Fulgham. That’s insane. Go back 12 months and consider trading for Wentz then, coming off 4000+/27/7 with no injuries in a season where his leading WR (Alshon) had less than 500 yards. You paying our 2020 1 and a later pick, or our next 2 2s for him then? In a heartbeat, right? There’s a TON of recency bias in all the Wentz hate.

Trading for Wentz would carry risk. There is no question. But, you’re also grabbing a guy most of us would have killed to trade for just 1 year ago at his absolute floor cost wise, where the returning contract after taking out PHI’s remaining portion is below market for a QB playing at his pre-2020 level, and who if you’re right about 2020 being the aberration is a 10-year fix. If you’re wrong then it’s about a 2/50 commitment before you can cut bait for basically nothing. The immediate trade doesn’t totally gut our drafts. If we can’t get Watson this very well might be our best plausible option to get a real QB who meets the presumed timeline of the front office and coaching who probably can’t wait on a rookie. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I agree with AZ if we are paying the floor price.

But the Eagles are eating a record 33 million so I doubt they are interested in doing that for a bottom basement return.

Wentz has a roster bonus $10M due 3/19. IND can afford to absorb that and we probably can’t. If giving a bit more in draft capital to save that $10M allows us to keep ARob where we’d otherwise lose him then that’s a no-brainer to me. It’s all still relative though. 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Pace, I have 5 guys on phone right now that really want Carson.

Really!?! Crap.  Here is another draft pick.  Please call me before you give him to anyone else to let me counter.  

Ha! Pretty much.