Future QB Discussion

G08

8 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

They didn't have over the last few years down to injury which is why he regressed.

That is scary, that he needs that level of talent to still perform at a high level. I just don't think he's worth the investment if you're going to give up a first give up another two for Watson.

3 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

That is scary, that he needs that level of talent to still perform at a high level. I just don't think he's worth the investment if you're going to give up a first give up another two for Watson.

Houston is now saying that they aren't going to trade Watson. Maybe that's a bargaining ploy, but it feels more like they're going to go hardline with him and see if they can sway him back into staying a Texan. 

4 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Houston is now saying that they aren't going to trade Watson. Maybe that's a bargaining ploy, but it feels more like they're going to go hardline with him and see if they can sway him back into staying a Texan. 

I can see them dragging this out for so long that other teams are forced to make trades for the Wentz's of the world effectively eliminating his trade prospects. 

I think Miami and the Jets are probably the best bets, teams who can wait and draft a QB only to trade him to the Texans. If this trade happens I bet it happens around trade time with either the Jets or Dolphins. 

If you're the Jaguars, I would do it as well. Trevor is a unknown, Watson is a sure bet. That would be a very good trade for both sides IMO.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I can see them dragging this out for so long that other teams are forced to make trades for the Wentz's of the world effectively eliminating his trade prospects. 

I think Miami and the Jets are probably the best bets, teams who can wait and draft a QB only to trade him to the Texans. If this trade happens I bet it happens around trade time with either the Jets or Dolphins. 

If you're the Jaguars, I would do it as well. Trevor is a unknown, Watson is a sure bet. That would be a very good trade for both sides IMO.

JAX would 100% be a viable trade partner for Watson if they weren’t in the same division. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I would think that the Dolphins would be dangling Tua and the pick, but you never know. They could trade Tua separately...but that narrows things down quite a bit, as far as possibilities go. No way they'd trade Tua to New England, which eliminates one team right off the bat. 

You may well be right about things playing out in that general direction, though.

19 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

That's an interesting take...but that's a divisional foe. I doubt Houston would go that route. 

30 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I think there’s a big difference between needing top talent around you to be able to perform and needing more than UDFA WRs and an OL full of backups. PHI’s weapons last year when you figure who was actually available week to week were arguably the worst in the NFL.

I’n certainly not saying Wentz’s 2020 shouldn’t be a factor because it absolutely should be, but I think circumstances matter, and that 2017-19 when he was a good and sometimes great QB should matter as much if not more so. 

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

If it is a 1st and a future 3rd then why are people so mad? Truthfully would you rather have Mac Jones for the same because after trading up to make sure you get the 5th best rookie in this draft that's what we are looking at.

I would rather have Mac Jones.

Wentz is paid a ton, was horrendous last season, and has all sorts of attitude issues with the coaching staff 

Give me a cheap unknown over that resume.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

If it is a 1st and a future 3rd then why are people so mad? Truthfully would you rather have Mac Jones for the same because after trading up to make sure you get the 5th best rookie in this draft that's what we are looking at.

Mac Jones is a rookie unknown vs a mega contract QB who has massively underproduced. We have to be able to draft well not just keep trying to swing for high risk player acquisitions. 

9 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think there’s a big difference between needing top talent around you to be able to perform and needing more than UDFA WRs and an OL full of backups. PHI’s weapons last year when you figure who was actually available week to week were arguably the worst in the NFL.

I’n certainly not saying Wentz’s 2020 shouldn’t be a factor because it absolutely should be, but I think circumstances matter, and that 2017-19 when he was a good and sometimes great QB should matter as much if not more so. 

I would definitely disagree about 2017-2019 when reviewing his worth as a QB. First off, he's been injured a ton so that is already a huge red flag. Secondarily good QBs make those around them better, and I don't see any indication he is one of those players.

If he isn't, he isn't worth the trade, it's simply musical chairs.