Future QB Discussion

G08

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

The Bears best hope is for Wilson or Fields to fall to 8-10. Going from 20 to 3-5 is doable but it's going to cost them A TON. Obviously it won't matter if either is a top 10 QB in the league but that's significant with them potentially losing Robinson & already having a weak OL

They have more money if they trade up, though--making it easier to keep Robinson. If Watson ends up a Jet or a Dolphin, then getting into that upper echelon remains a possibility, otherwise, it's a long shot. 

And, I must stress again, if Pace starts actually drafting offensive linemen (before the seventh round, if at all) then it makes it much, much, easier to upgrade the offensive line. 

Reading the tea leaves my guess is Pace is *willing* to offer #20, but would rather keep that pick and send #52 and a 2022 2nd round pick.

At the end of the day, he'll likely overbid because that's what he does.

Bears get - Carson Wentz

Eagles get - #20, 2022 third round pick, Nick Foles

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

He hasn’t been injured in 2 years. I agree about good QBs making those around him better, but I look at his 2019 with what he was working with at WR and that clearly happened there IMO. The 2020 crew he had was even worse than that, and he was running for his life the whole time. He was sacked 50 times in 12 games. That’s a 66-sack pace which would be the 4th most ever. Who’s to say he didn’t make bums in Fulgham and Ward look competent this year too? 

I think this past year was the first he played the full season correct? Getting sacked 66 times has just as much to do the line as it does with him holding the ball for too long. 

I watched a couple of Eagles games and he did not look good even with time. He was missing a ton of throws.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Reading the tea leaves my guess is Pace is *willing* to offer #20, but would rather keep that pick and send #52 and a 2022 2nd round pick.

At the end of the day, he'll likely overbid because that's what he does.

Bears get - Carson Wentz

Eagles get - #20, 2022 third round pick, Nick Foles

Not a great outcome but if Wentz can be a above average starter for us for 5+ years it would be OK. if he regresses even worse it's going to be yet another blunder.

Just now, Nads786 said:

Not a great outcome but if Wentz can be a above average starter for us for 5+ years it would be OK. if he regresses even worse it's going to be yet another blunder.

Yep. Pace and Nagy are banking on the fact that Wentz had a tremendous season in this offense, with John DeFilippo as his QB coach. They are praying they can get that Carson Wentz to rediscover himself.

Makes sense on paper when you consider Pace and Nagy have their collective ***** on the line this season. Hail Mary, if you will.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

Yep. Pace and Nagy are banking on the fact that Wentz had a tremendous season in this offense, with John DeFilippo as his QB coach. They are praying they can get that Carson Wentz to rediscover himself.

Makes sense on paper when you consider Pace and Nagy have their collective ***** on the line this season. Hail Mary, if you will.

I suppose.

However, if Newman or Mond is there in the third, you should scoop one of them up, too. 

But...doubtful that would happen.

#Conviction. 

10 minutes ago, G08 said:

When you evaluate the QB market either via draft or FA (minus Watson) this could be the best option available right now. It's a huge gamble that he is going to return to form. It's tough, because if we don't have Wentz we're going with Foles and maybe Mac Jones.

2 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

When you evaluate the QB market either via draft or FA (minus Watson) this could be the best option available right now. It's a huge gamble that he is going to return to form. It's tough, because if we don't have Wentz we're going with Foles and maybe Mac Jones.

Precisely. That is what is making this more more palatable for me.

We need to upgrade the tackles and find a WR as well; how we handle the compensation if we acquire Wentz should shape the rest of our offseason as well.

I don't love it, but I suppose I get it.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

What’s the better alternative though, Windy? We can’t outbid MIA, NYJ, CAR or SF for Watson if he’s even made available. Carr if made available probably costs as much if not more than Stafford and probably needs a $10M pay bump right away. Garoppolo sucks. Jameis sucks. Minshew sucks. Darnold has less of a positive resume than Wentz and may not be available anyway. Newton is done. Dalton is just a guy. Fitzpatrick? A lame duck coaching staff and front office probably doesn’t have time to wait for a rookie to develop and might not have one fall to 20 anyway. I have doubts about how much of the future draft capital Pace will be allowed to dip into to make a move, especially for an unknown in the draft. We don’t have any ideal options, and Wentz at the right price may be the best realistic option we have. 

Pace shouldn’t be making this choice and we shouldn’t be in this position, but he is and we are. We can’t change that. All we can do is make the best we can with this underwhelming hand.

12 months ago had you been told you could have Wentz for a mid-1 and maybe a later pick would you have made that trade? 

Roll with what we got and draft a QB next year. I really don't care what they do so long as they don't mortgage the future to do it.

God now I’m gonna be glued to Twitter until something is announced.  

but with all the smoke surrounding this, i wouldn’t be surprised if there’s already a deal in place and they’re waiting to announce it on Monday so that they dont take away from the super bowl.

5 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

God now I’m gonna be glued to Twitter until something is announced.  

but with all the smoke surrounding this, i wouldn’t be surprised if there’s already a deal in place and they’re waiting to announce it on Monday so that they dont take away from the super bowl.

That's what I think will happen, if not Monday then sometime this upcoming week. It feels like something is done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

I still fail to see how Mac Jones is automatically a worse option than Carson Wentz. 

8 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I still fail to see how Mac Jones is automatically a worse option than Carson Wentz. 

Automatically? No, but Wentz has done it before in the NFL. It could be a lack of confidence or a plethora of arrogance, but lately he stinks. Maybe he will find it again.

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

They have more money if they trade up, though--making it easier to keep Robinson. If Watson ends up a Jet or a Dolphin, then getting into that upper echelon remains a possibility, otherwise, it's a long shot. 

And, I must stress again, if Pace starts actually drafting offensive linemen (before the seventh round, if at all) then it makes it much, much, easier to upgrade the offensive line. 

You mean drafting 1 QB and 2 OT's (both in round 6 and 7) in 6 years isn't okay? ;)

• Like 1