Future QB Discussion

G08

45 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

My point was from all reports it sounds like Wentz absolutely loved Reich, so I'm saying that if Wentz had a preference it would be Reich

Let's hope that's the case then, and the Colts give up their first round pick (and whatever else) for Wentz. 

The thing that gets me about all this trade talk...is acquiring Wentz really a better plan for Pace than (staying even keel here) trading up for Mac Jones? 

I mean, seriously? 

If Wentz comes to Chicago and falters, I mean at all, in any appreciable way, then Pace and, most likely, Nagy are DONE.

And perhaps will never hold the job titles they currently do ever again in the NFL.

If Mac Jones comes in, provides a spark, gives the fan base some hope, but still has some rookie hiccups...doesn't that buy Pace and Nagy another year? Or two?

Really--is Pace selling a Wentz trade to the McCaskey's as..."We'll win the NEXT Super Bowl"? And if so, why the hell would they be buying that? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Let's hope that's the case then, and the Colts give up their first round pick (and whatever else) for Wentz. 

The thing that gets me about all this trade talk...is acquiring Wentz really a better plan for Pace than (staying even keel here) trading up for Mac Jones? 

I mean, seriously? 

If Wentz comes to Chicago and falters, I mean at all, in any appreciable way, then Pace and, most likely, Nagy are DONE.

And perhaps will never hold the job titles they currently do ever again in the NFL.

If Mac Jones comes in, provides a spark, gives the fan base some hope, but still has some rookie hiccups...doesn't that buy Pace and Nagy another year? Or two?

Really--is Pace selling a Wentz trade to the McCaskey's as..."We'll win the NEXT Super Bowl"? And if so, why the hell would they be buying that? 

I think they are telling us that they are too worried to wait for the draft.

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

24-12, 18-10, 16-7 is not struggling to 2:1.  Its 2:1.  Struggling to 2:1 is not getting there.  And really not being all that close.  Its semantics which is why I said disingenuous.  

You left off 7-7.

He has battled his entire career to just be at 2:1.

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think they are telling us that they are too worried to wait for the draft.

I don’t think they can wait til the draft and run the risk of missing out on their guy(a) in the draft after sitting out FA. Pace would be more forced to overpay to get his guy if we wait til draft day than he would be in a move for Wentz. 

18 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I mean, seriously? 

Colin Cowherd made a reall good point (broken clock twice a day) who is happy w/their immobile QB? Jones is basically a younger version of Foles.  I dont think he's a first round QB.  I just dont see it.  I think he'll go in the middle of the 2nd, if Bears got him in the 2nd I wouldnt be terribly upset, but a first is way too rich for a guy who has never been THE guy.  

3 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Wentz hasn't reached that ceiling since 2008 and has gone through several significant injuries since then. The Bears aren't getting 2008 Carson Wentz.

In 2019 he threw for 4000 yards 27 TDs and 7 INTs. Which would be the greatest passing season in Bears history.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t think they can wait til the draft and run the risk of missing out on their guy(a) in the draft after sitting out FA. Pace would be more forced to overpay to get his guy if we wait til draft day than he would be in a move for Wentz. 

Agreed. If they were picking 5 they may wait. There is no way to know if they land a competent drafted QB.

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Colin Cowherd made a reall good point (broken clock twice a day) who is happy w/their immobile QB? Jones is basically a younger version of Foles.  I dont think he's a first round QB.  I just dont see it.  I think he'll go in the middle of the 2nd, if Bears got him in the 2nd I wouldnt be terribly upset, but a first is way too rich for a guy who has never been THE guy.  

He is more mobile than that, but it is a concern.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

You left off 7-7.

He has battled his entire career to just be at 2:1.

I said except his rookie year.  And again I think its disingenuous to say that.  I understand it's probably semantics, but it's not acknowledging that he has protected the football, never throwing more than 12 INTs in a season.  Hes thrown less than 1 per game on avg his entire career.  He has struggled to throw TDs, which is more of a "whole offense issue" than on his shoulders.  

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I said except his rookie year.  And again I think its disingenuous to say that.  I understand it's probably semantics, but it's not acknowledging that he has protected the football, never throwing more than 12 INTs in a season.  Hes thrown less than 1 per game on avg his entire career.  He has struggled to throw TDs, which is more of a "whole offense issue" than on his shoulders.  

I think the not enough TDs is directly tied to his conservative and down right scared at times play. Less interceptions but less chances for big plays.

For his career he isn’t a 2:1 guy. Leaving off his worst season he is barely a 2:1 guy.

Dump Wentz’s worst season and he is almost a 3:1 guy.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Because Darnold is 23 yrs old and played for worst roster in league throughout his young career under management, ownership and coaching that makes Bears look amazing in comparison.  

He is still a relative unknown that could be a lottery ticket, but like a lottery ticket it is long odds.       

Wentz outlier season is his good one.  Similiar story to Cam Newton.  He has regressed from his rookie season and is 28 years old and wasn’t even better than MT last year playing in worst division in league.

On top of that he he is paid as a top QB and costs high resources to trade for.

I’ll take MT back over either because he costs the least and get a QB later, but given choice between Wentz and Darnold, give me Darnold.

Trying to find a high cost solution this year will just set you back in long run whilst still not making you a contender in short run.  

Wentz outlier is really this past year.  2017 he probably should have won MVP.  2019 he threw 27 TDs and 7 Ints with guys who would have struggled to make the Bears 2017 WR squad and Tarik Cohen-lite.  The question that has to be asked with Wentz is was this season more of a portent for things to come or just an anomaly, bc he had been pretty damn good until then.  Wentz was the cause of a lot of his own problems this year, and you have to wonder about the locker room stuff w/ all the smoke there.  

Just now, Superman(DH23) said:

Wentz outlier is really this past year.  2017 he probably should have won MVP.  2019 he threw 27 TDs and 7 Ints with guys who would have struggled to make the Bears 2017 WR squad and Tarik Cohen-lite.  The question that has to be asked with Wentz is was this season more of a portent for things to come or just an anomaly, bc he had been pretty damn good until then.  Wentz was the cause of a lot of his own problems this year, and you have to wonder about the locker room stuff w/ all the smoke there.  

That is the fear with Wentz. Now a ton went wrong in 2020 to add to his struggles.

That being said it is not like he is walking into a loaded Offense.

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think the not enough TDs is directly tied to his conservative and down right scared at times play. Less interceptions but less chances for big plays.

For his career he isn’t a 2:1 guy. Leaving off his worst season he is barely a 2:1 guy.

Dump Wentz’s worst season and he is almost a 3:1 guy.

There are a lot of reasons to leave off Trus rookie season, first and foremost, that it was his rookie season.  Secondly, he may have been throwing to one of, if not the worst group of WRs in the modern history of the NFL, w/ arguably the worst OC in the game.  Again I'm not saying your wrong about Wentz being an upgrade, I just think people should speak fairly of Tru.  His first year in this offense, he was pretty good.  His 2nd year was the start of the Matt Nagy vanity project that turned into handcuffing the QB.  His 3rd started the same way, once they decided to play to his strengths, he avg almost a 100 passer efficiency, 75% completion and threw 10 TDs to 3 INTs.  I think there has to be some acknowledgement that the coaching staff didn't do him any favors.