Future QB Discussion

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

We need better OTs. Brady didn’t get touched all night and they ran the ball down their throats.

Been my message for 5 years.  Football is still largely won in trenches.  

Mahomes is amazing though.  Took a team to SB and still made miracle plays outmanned across the front with back ups.  

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Been my message for 5 years.  Football is still largely won in trenches.  

Mahomes is amazing though.  Took a team to SB and still made miracle plays outmanned across the front with back ups.  

Well I think when his left tackle went down it was straw that broke camels back. 

2 hours ago, G08 said:

Here are the facts:

Wentz is a generational talent 

His arrow is pointing down as he is coming off his worst season in the NFL 

He's experienced in our offense and gives Pace/Nagy their best chance at immediate success 

His injury history is valid and concerning 

He had an MVP-type season with John DeFilippo as his hardass QB coach

He may be a diva but by most accounts not a cancer or horrible teammate (need to dig more here) 

Other teams will be interested in Wentz, but we will overpay out of desperation 

Heard similar things 1000x over about every other retread QB the Bears have brought in over the years.

I’m confused - are people just ignoring that really good QBs have had bad seasons before and then come back to continue to be good QBs long term, or do they think what Wentz showed on the field 2017-19 wasn’t really good QB play? Nearly every single person here would have been through the roof to add Wentz 12 months ago. To me it would be FAR more troubling to add a guy who had 3 subpar years then an outlier really good year than it is to add a guy who was really good for 3 years then had a clunker, especially when you’re talking about a QB still just 28.m years old. 

It would be SO CHICAGO for the Bears to get a young QB with multi-year history of actual success and then dismiss him before he ever even walks into the building. 2017-19 Wentz is exactly what the Bears need. It’s what they thought they were getting in drafting Trubisky. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, G08 said:

Here are the facts:

Wentz is a generational talent 

His arrow is pointing down as he is coming off his worst season in the NFL 

He's experienced in our offense and gives Pace/Nagy their best chance at immediate success 

His injury history is valid and concerning 

He had an MVP-type season with John DeFilippo as his hardass QB coach

He may be a diva but by most accounts not a cancer or horrible teammate (need to dig more here) 

Other teams will be interested in Wentz, but we will overpay out of desperation 

You don't really need to convince me about Wentz.  I've always liked him.

Like I said I just hope Pace doesn't bid against himself and pay more than he has to

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m confused - are people just ignoring that really good QBs have had bad seasons before and then come back to continue to be good QBs long term, or do they think what Wentz showed on the field 2017-19 wasn’t really good QB play? Nearly every single person here would have been through the roof to add Wentz 12 months ago. To me it would be FAR more troubling to add a guy who had 3 subpar years then an outlier really good year than it is to add a guy who was really good for 3 years then had a clunker, especially when you’re talking about a QB still just 28.m years old. 

It would be SO CHICAGO for the Bears to get a young QB with multi-year history of actual success and then dismiss him before he ever even walks into the building. 2017-19 Wentz is exactly what the Bears need. It’s what they thought they were getting in drafting Trubisky. 

this has been my thought too. my dad texted me about it and was like "he sucked last year" and i had to tell him to look at 17-19, where he was a legit mvp candidate. we aren't trading for 2020 wentz (if it happens) we are trading for 17-19 wentz and hoping 20 was the outlier due to poor oline and receiving weapons.

I don't know what to think here, Pace is pretty good at hiding his intentions, why would he reverse course? Are the Eagles just attaching the Bears name to drive the market value against the Colts?

• Like 1

I’d be comfortable with something like this:

CHI sends:

-2021 1 (20)

-2022 conditional 4 that can become a 3 if Wentz meets reasonable performance thresholds, and a 2 if he’s GREAT in 2021

PHI sends:

-Carson Wentz
-2021 2 (37)  

PHI moving from 37 to 20 has a value of +320 on the Jimmy Johnson trade value chart, equivalent to pick 58. 

I think this is something that would work for both sides. PHI gets a second pick in the top 20 (leaving them with 6 and 20) and another mid-rounder at minimum for a guy everyone knows they’re moving coming off a subpar season. They probably add 2 prime prospects to fill huge needs at WR and OL (Ja’Marr Chase and Darrisaw/Jenkins maybe?) to help out Hurts, or maybe one of the QBs at 6. If 2020 turns out to be an aberration for Wentz then PHI reaps a higher return in 2022 for moving on when they did, which is something both sides would be okay with. Pace doesn’t get totally pantsed and we limit our relative cost by keeping 2 picks in the first 2 rounds to address OL (hopefully) and maybe WR. If Wentz works out great then we gave up a trade down in the first and a 2 for a franchise QB and if he stinks then we gave up a trade down in the 1st and a 4, cut him post-6/1 next year and take a $12Mish cap hit in 2022 and 2023 when the cap will be spiking up anyway, Pace/Nagy are shamed out of town, and the new regime still gets to draft their next guy.

Edited by AZBearsFan
36 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

"While there’s a sense that GM Howie Roseman is trying to drive up the market, the person said Colts GM Chris Ballard and Bears GM Ryan Pace have remained “disciplined” during negotiations.

From the article you posted. Fairly surprising. 

Edited by GOGRIESE

Mike said much of the same thing that Adam did. Eagles are holding out hope someone caves. Honestly I'd rather the Bears pivot and maybe the Colts too. Leave the Eagles high and dry. 

• Like 1