Future QB Discussion

G08

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I would still prefer to make a bat **** crazy trade up for Justin Fields or Zach Wilson.

That would be the best course of action. I still think trading up for Mac Jones even makes more sense than getting Wentz.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m not convinced Darnold would be significantly cheaper to obtain. With Darnold you’re probably picking up his 2022 option with any trade too (~$25M), though his 2021 cap hit will obviously be lower. 

I meant draft capital. Philly is going to hold fast for a first round pick (and probably more), I think. No way the Jets would expect Darnold to bring that. A lot of GMs would view Trask or Lance as preferred gets over Darnold.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I think it is a Zero percent chance trying to bring in Wentz or Carr for a big trade and losing ARob and rolling with Massie and Leno.   

Agree with that.

Not so sure Pace does, though...

36 minutes ago, malagabears said:

Since we are throwing GM sh** at the wall here is another QB (Wilson - Seattle) who is now unhappy. But it is LaCanfora so take it with a grain of salt. He says it is worth monitoring. Just to give a price example the Seahawks wanted Cleveland's 1st & 4th picks in the 1st round in 2018 as a start. Wilson will be 33 this year and has 2 years left.

Hasn't Wilson been "unhappy" in each of the last two off-seasons? I wouldn't expect anything to come of it.

If it does...then Wilson becomes top priority.

27 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I meant draft capital. Philly is going to hold fast for a first round pick (and probably more), I think. No way the Jets would expect Darnold to bring that. A lot of GMs would view Trask or Lance as preferred gets over Darnold.

Timing matters here for PHI. They need to move Wentz by start of FA for cap compliance purposes, and by 3/19 for sure to avoid a $10M roster bonus. Darnold can be traded any time up until draft day because the Jets can posture that they’re keeping him until they replace him. PHI doesn’t need to be in a hurry yet - they have 5 weeks until 3/17. Eventually they’ll hit the deadline where they need to either commit to keeping him (which we all know they don’t want to do) or taking what they can get. I believe their cap penalty is worse if they just cut him because then they owe his guaranteed 2021 and 2022 salaries also. Eventually they’ll take whatever they can get. 

From the Bears side it’s more a balance of, if Wentz is your guy, how long is too long to wait to get ahead of IND (if we believe they have genuine interest)? The Colts can offer less than us in draft capital because they can take on all the money without issue. It might be better for the Bears 2021 offseason plan to pay a little more in draft capital to have PHI eat the $10M roster bonus, thus making Wentz’s 2021 salary to us only $15M vs. $25M. That could be the difference between keeping ARob and not, in which case it’s 100% worth it (within reason). 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, malagabears said:

Pretty terrible QB play from Wentz this past season... not gonna lie...

But it's also easy to cherry pick 1 terrible season out of 5 where he was anywhere from below average to average to pretty good and very good.

At the end of the day if Bears traded for Wentz they'd be gambling on getting a highly motivated 2017/2019 version of Wentz. 

Still don't think that's worth a 1st round pick but it all depends on what other choices they'll have and if Howie Roseman is willing to lower his asking price

Personally I'd rather gamble on the draft falling our way and if not then trading a 3rd/4th for a guy like Minshew to start in the meantime

My concern with Wentz is more mental and health wise than it is ability. He's got God given talent and would be the best QB we've had since Cutler in terms of skill but he may very well just be a broken player that is unfixable...

Edited by topwop1

8 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Pretty terrible QB play from Wentz this past season... not gonna lie...

But it's also easy to cherry pick 1 terrible season out of 5 where he was anywhere from below average to average to pretty good and very good.

At the end of the day if Bears traded for Wentz they'd be gambling on getting a highly motivated 2017/2019 version of Wentz. 

Still don't think that's worth a 1st round pick but it all depends on what other choices they'll have and if Howie Roseman is willing to lower his asking price

Personally I'd rather gamble on the draft falling our way and if not then trading a 3rd/4th for a guy like Minshew to start in the meantime

My concern with Wentz is more mental and health wise than it is ability. He's got God given talent and would be the best QB we've had since Cutler in terms of skill but he may very well just be a broken player that is unfixable...

Agree on all points.

For me the big issue is Nagy. He can't run an offense, he thinks he is far more intelligent than he really is. So why should we put a major financial investment in a guy when we don;t have a coach that will fit the offense to him AND we lack the capital to put talent around him.

Wentz is talented, he was behind a crap OL and no one played that well around him. The three prior years weren't a fluke. But add in the issues above with the injury history and it is a gamble I don't care to make.

He's fragile it seems, we have a mediocre OL and crap OTs, we would lose ARob so talent around him is down, and he's potentially mentally weak with a HC is borderline incompetent. It's just a bad mix even if he has solid potential and is absolutely talented.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

If Mariota is the "solution"--fire Pace on the spot.

Agreed. You don't trade anything  for a backup player you could have signed easily as a FA just last year

I don't hate Mariota but he's more or less another Mitch Trubisky 

Give me Minshew instead 

• Like 2