Jump to content

Future QB Discussion


Recommended Posts

Anybody give much thought to any of the weirder possibilities out there?

The Falcons trade up to #3 for Fields or Wilson, and let Matt Ryan go? Matt Ryan a Bear?

Same sort of scenario, but with the Lions and Matt Stafford? Matt Stafford a Bear?

What if the Vikings release Kirk Cousins? 

We've seen that Foles needs a better offense around him to succeed. Any of those three guys I listed above would perform better in the Bears' current situation.

I want no part of any sort of Carson Wentz recovery project, as it's probably doomed to fail. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, WindyCity said:

That is where I think they will get hung up.

Why I think it is more likely that they end up in the 9-11 range.

Agreed.  Their first two picks are worth roughly the 11th/12th pick, so if a QB is on the board there you can probably get up with their SRP plus some change.  The problem is that the top 3 QBs are almost assuredly going to be off the board.  Do you believe in QB4 enough to make that move?

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Agreed.  Their first two picks are worth roughly the 11th/12th pick, so if a QB is on the board there you can probably get up with their SRP plus some change.  The problem is that the top 3 QBs are almost assuredly going to be off the board.  Do you believe in QB4 enough to make that move?

Doesn’t matter. They are desperate to address the position. The wonder singled it out in the press conference.

Unless they can swing a surprise trade for a veteran, I would expect them to be one of the most aggressive teams in the draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Anybody give much thought to any of the weirder possibilities out there?

The Falcons trade up to #3 for Fields or Wilson, and let Matt Ryan go? Matt Ryan a Bear?

Same sort of scenario, but with the Lions and Matt Stafford? Matt Stafford a Bear?

What if the Vikings release Kirk Cousins? 

We've seen that Foles needs a better offense around him to succeed. Any of those three guys I listed above would perform better in the Bears' current situation.

I want no part of any sort of Carson Wentz recovery project, as it's probably doomed to fail. 

Ryan would leave a record 40 million in dead cap space.

The Lions would put Stafford on the moon before they sent him to Chicago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Doesn’t matter. They are desperate to address the position. The wonder singled it out in the press conference.

Unless they can swing a surprise trade for a veteran, I would expect them to be one of the most aggressive teams in the draft.

Desire isn't the question.  It's the ability to and as I mentioned earlier, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a team who is in the top 5 that's willing to move down by a pick package that is highlighted by the 20th overall pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Anybody give much thought to any of the weirder possibilities out there?

The Falcons trade up to #3 for Fields or Wilson, and let Matt Ryan go? Matt Ryan a Bear?

Same sort of scenario, but with the Lions and Matt Stafford? Matt Stafford a Bear?

What if the Vikings release Kirk Cousins? 

We've seen that Foles needs a better offense around him to succeed. Any of those three guys I listed above would perform better in the Bears' current situation.

I want no part of any sort of Carson Wentz recovery project, as it's probably doomed to fail. 

None of those are very likely.  Ryan and Cousins have a LOT of dead cap associated with releasing them.  Still find it hard to believe the Lions would trade Stafford within the division unless Bears overpaid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

None of those are very likely.  Ryan and Cousins have a LOT of dead cap associated with releasing them.  Still find it hard to believe the Lions would trade Stafford within the division unless Bears overpaid.

 

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Desire isn't the question.  It's the ability to and as I mentioned earlier, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a team who is in the top 5 that's willing to move down by a pick package that is highlighted by the 20th overall pick.

I was responding to the QB 4 question. If QB 4 hits 9-11 I expect we will be on the phones hard.

I would not be shocked if we jumped NE and SF for Mac Jones if that is what it takes.

The QB desperation here is palpable and made worse by the epic Foles failure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fans should not run teams.  You guys would trade anything for Watson.  So desperate.  Team is not on verge of being a contender unless handed a great QB for relative peanuts and that ain’t happening.    

A) Watson is showing signs of being a distraction now that he has been paid. B) You can’t  shoot a mediocre roster full of holes with a lame duck staff AND mortgage future then expect to have success.  It won’t happen short or long term.  It would be a disaster. 

Bears took their shot under rookie QB formula and failed because they picked wrong QB.   Now you have to start over from scratch.  You can’t do it in one season.   There are no instant fixes without too much risk and high likelihood of long term sustaining damage to franchise.   

RIght move is just accept Bears are going to be bad next year.    Don’t let Pace trade anything.   Bring in new guys next year and draft a QB next year and try whole process again.   Except this time build an great O line with your young QB.

People are out of patience, but lack of patience will put you on a 25 year Browns cycle.  

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

Start Foles and tank in 2021 is what they should, but won’t do.

Amen

But George called Pace "the football guy" about 10x between his 1000 and 670 interviews on Thursday in reference to Silvy and Parkins making fun of Ted, so if "the football guy" knows they have to win in 2021, he's not going to tank and get himself fired

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

None of those are very likely.  Ryan and Cousins have a LOT of dead cap associated with releasing them.  Still find it hard to believe the Lions would trade Stafford within the division unless Bears overpaid.

True. 

But there are stories floating around out there that suggest that is exactly what these teams will. The same with Stafford. I'd also agree that those possibilities aren't particularly likely (especially in the case of Cousins), but there are rumors about, and I was proceeding as if they may become true. And they may. That's kind of the price teams in a death spiral, with a highly paid quarterback, are going to have to pay. This is most true with the Falcons, who have the best shot at a good, young QB. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Fans should not run teams.  

And the McCaskeys should😉

36 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

RIght move is just accept Bears are going to be bad next year.    Don’t let Pace trade anything.   Bring in new guys next year and draft a QB next year and try whole process again.   Except this time build an great O line with your young QB.

So...you just draft whatever quarterback happens to be there at #20, and hope it works out? Or take a guy further down the line, and see what he can do? 

Doesn't seem like the best way of going about doing things. And if you're going for at least a partial tank, what is point of keeping your veteran talent around? Shouldn't you start trading all those guys away? And then, further, why have all those new picks, if you can't use them to trade up?

I guess I'm just not following your logic there. 

33 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Start Foles and tank in 2021 is what they should, but won’t do.

With Pace and Nagy back...the possibility of them going full tank is virtually non-existent. Unless that's something big George signed off on, that is. And I doubt that. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

So, you're advocating that Pace trade up? That makes more sense then getting Watson. I agree with that.

If he needs to, yes. 

Wasting multiple years of capital and money for Watson would be downright foolish. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

People are out of patience, but lack of patience will put you on a 25 year Browns cycle.  

I'm happy to bomb next year for the draft spot. That being said I think Pace and Nagy will be desperate. They were stupid enough to trade a 4th for Foles and think he would make them a real contender. We will find a way to somewhere as a 7-9 to 9-7 team that doesnt deserve a playoff spot. 

 

We're overachieving losers essentially.

 

46 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

And the McCaskeys should😉

 

Nope. Mucho nope-o. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...