Future QB Discussion

G08

I was hesitant about this idea earlier in the season and it's a longshot but if Dak somehow hits free agency then it's a no brainer that Bears need to go all in.

While I don't think he's necessarily a top-5 QB he's a proven good QB who you wouldn't have to give up picks to acquire in this scenario.

Then they could use their draft picks this year to upgrade OL and WR while also being creative with Dak's contract so that there is a manageable cap hit in year 1 of his new deal when you need cap space the most.

To me this would be the most ideal option because you are getting a proven player for just a financial investment and nothing more.

• Like 1

I don't want Dak, or Wentz, or anyone else proven to not be able to hack it.

8-8 is just as useful to me as 0-16.

I'd take Watson, or maybe Stafford (who I think is pretty good, but just on the Lions), but I sincerely doubt either of those guys would be made available.

Then I'm looking to draft QBs if possible, and when that also appears out of realistic/afforable reach, I accept that this season is screwed and grab OL and maybe a WR (and I'm really really starting to want a coverage ILB to get Trevethan the hell off the field)

40 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I don't want Dak, or Wentz, or anyone else proven to not be able to hack it.

Wentz is most likely a bust. Or, at best, at the lowest echelon of starters, which we shouldn't be going after anyway.

Dak is bonafide. His ankle injury was just a freak occurrence, not anything that should disqualify him conversation as a starter. I was a BIG Dak doubter for a very long time, but he proved me wrong. As @topwop1said, if we could get Dak for nothing but the money we'd have to pay, we'd be set. It would be the biggest blessing the franchise has ever had. (My view, not necessarily @topwop1's...)

I'd take Watson, or maybe Stafford (who I think is pretty good, but just on the Lions), but I sincerely doubt either of those guys would be made available.

Watson is most likely out of the Bears reach, and may not want to come to Chicago anyway. Stafford is an outside possibility. 

Then I'm looking to draft QBs if possible, and when that also appears out of realistic/afforable reach, I accept that this season is screwed and grab OL and maybe a WR (and I'm really really starting to want a coverage ILB to get Trevethan the hell off the field)

As I stated above, Pace and Nagy aren't likely to take a "screw it, throw in the towel" approach to next season. I'd frankly be shocked if that occurred. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I pay Dak whatever he wants.

His average year would be the best year in Bears history.

Probably. Or close enough, anyway. What Jerry has said recently makes me think he's trying to find a way to make it all work with Dak, though. 

But...it's Jerry Jones, so who knows from one day, to the next? 

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Fans should not run teams.  You guys would trade anything for Watson.  So desperate.  Team is not on verge of being a contender unless handed a great QB for relative peanuts and that ain’t happening.    

A) Watson is showing signs of being a distraction now that he has been paid. B) You can’t  shoot a mediocre roster full of holes with a lame duck staff AND mortgage future then expect to have success.  It won’t happen short or long term.  It would be a disaster. 

Bears took their shot under rookie QB formula and failed because they picked wrong QB.   Now you have to start over from scratch.  You can’t do it in one season.   There are no instant fixes without too much risk and high likelihood of long term sustaining damage to franchise.   

RIght move is just accept Bears are going to be bad next year.    Don’t let Pace trade anything.   Bring in new guys next year and draft a QB next year and try whole process again.   Except this time build an great O line with your young QB.

People are out of patience, but lack of patience will put you on a 25 year Browns cycle.  

This right here guys.  If we trade up for Fields, Lance, even Wilson, atleast one of those guys will bust, we all know it.  The QB situation is the most in need of fixing, not our only position in need.  We all know we need a new LT, possibly RT, along with DL depth(Goldman coming back would be huge)  If we trade the farm and then some for a QB, he better be a top 5 QB for the next decade, or we're right back here again.  Pace operates like he needs to win this second, constantly trading picks and future picks(he's done that 4 straight years)  We have 6 picks I believe(correct me if I'm wrong) trading up for any QB is basically our draft(And likely next years as well)  There's a good chance Lance, Mac and/or Trask will fall to us at 20.  I don't watch college ball, but what about Jaime Newman in round 2?  I also feel(and I'm sure most people will agree) that Nagy ruined Trubisky(at least to some extent)  Would Nagy do the same if we drafted a QB this year?  Or if we had drafted a QB each year, or every other year, we'd not likely to be in this mess. 

So I thought that I would have a look at the QBs after the first 6 guys that we have all been talking about to see if maybe there was another way to get someone who could help us and two things stand out...

1. Damn there is zero depth to this QB class and if we don't come out with one of seven guys we are 100% toast

2. Why is no one speaking about Dustin Crum? Kent State QB who for everyone who looks as Jones or Trask and has issues with their mobility, arm strength, the fact Jones especially had an arm chair ride behind a top quality OL and tons of weapon to throw too should go watch this guy...dude can get outside and turn the corner...no one will confuse him with Mike Vick but he has enough wheels to get you yards...excellent arm strength and can make throws to the opposite hash look easy...had a terrible OL in front of him and no weapons of note but still put up a highly explosive and high scoring offence the last two years...quick decision maker under pressure and is very accurate after he goes through his progressions...tough and a leader too...want to talk about smarts? Dude is an aerospace engineering...Crum has zero name recognition but he has a lot of tools.

1 minute ago, Bowler1215 said:

This right here guys.  If we trade up for Fields, Lance, even Wilson, atleast one of those guys will bust, we all know it.  The QB situation is the most in need of fixing, not our only position in need.  We all know we need a new LT, possibly RT, along with DL depth(Goldman coming back would be huge)  If we trade the farm and then some for a QB, he better be a top 5 QB for the next decade, or we're right back here again.  Pace operates like he needs to win this second, constantly trading picks and future picks(he's done that 4 straight years)  We have 6 picks I believe(correct me if I'm wrong) trading up for any QB is basically our draft(And likely next years as well)  There's a good chance Lance, Mac and/or Trask will fall to us at 20.  I don't watch college ball, but what about Jaime Newman in round 2?  I also feel(and I'm sure most people will agree) that Nagy ruined Trubisky(at least to some extent)  Would Nagy do the same if we drafted a QB this year?  Or if we had drafted a QB each year, or every other year, we'd not likely to be in this mess. 

Newman in round 2 looks like a stretch to me. I rhi k he REALLY hurt himself with the choice of sitting out the season, apparently they are looking at changing the Combine to regional shows so he wont even be able to do drills head to head with his peers. 

His potential may be round 2 but to me he is a 3-5 round guy. Not enough film to show he is a starter and he doesnt have anything freakish to stand above other prospects. 

33 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

So I thought that I would have a look at the QBs after the first 6 guys that we have all been talking about to see if maybe there was another way to get someone who could help us and two things stand out...

1. Damn there is zero depth to this QB class and if we don't come out with one of seven guys we are 100% toast

2. Why is no one speaking about Dustin Crum? Kent State QB who for everyone who looks as Jones or Trask and has issues with their mobility, arm strength, the fact Jones especially had an arm chair ride behind a top quality OL and tons of weapon to throw too should go watch this guy...dude can get outside and turn the corner...no one will confuse him with Mike Vick but he has enough wheels to get you yards...excellent arm strength and can make throws to the opposite hash look easy...had a terrible OL in front of him and no weapons of note but still put up a highly explosive and high scoring offence the last two years...quick decision maker under pressure and is very accurate after he goes through his progressions...tough and a leader too...want to talk about smarts? Dude is an aerospace engineering...Crum has zero name recognition but he has a lot of tools.

Unfortunately Dustin Crum is not coming out. I took a look at him too. You're right though after the first 5 or 6 then it's pretty bare this year

29 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

Unfortunately Dustin Crum is not coming out. I took a look at him too. You're right though after the first 5 or 6 then it's pretty bare this year

Dude was a senior in 2020...not sure how he has another year of eligibility.

Edited by Madmike90

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Newman in round 2 looks like a stretch to me. I rhi k he REALLY hurt himself with the choice of sitting out the season, apparently they are looking at changing the Combine to regional shows so he wont even be able to do drills head to head with his peers. 

His potential may be round 2 but to me he is a 3-5 round guy. Not enough film to show he is a starter and he doesnt have anything freakish to stand above other prospects. 

I wouldn't touch Newman before the 5th...QBs with slow set ups, decision making and accuracy issues do nothing for me...frame and arm are impressive at least but purely development prospect to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm going the tcmd for the bears and was curious what the feeling was on tua? Miami asked if I were interested. Personally I'm sort of meh on him, but was curious what you guys thought. I'm thinking no to a first, maybe yes to a second

I would say a 3rd at best...just too injury prone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I wouldn't touch Newman before the 5th...QBs with slow set ups, decision making and accuracy issues do nothing for me...frame and arm are impressive at least but purely development prospect to me.

With Nagy developing I'm not picking anyone who needs developed. I'll take a swing in the first and hope a guy works out fire to talent but I'm not wasting any more for him to do  nothing with. Hell he had Tru for 3 years and the kid regressed. Lol

The third round grade is with someone like Daboll, McVay, etc to work with him.