Future QB Discussion

G08

Just now, JAF-N72EX said:

Robinson would be part of the deal in @HuskieBear scenario.  Both players are disgruntled. One OT wants a chance to start and new contract and the Bears need a OT.  While one WR is tired of playing with garbage QB's and inept offenses and the Ravens need a WR for Lamar.  

I updated my post.

The reason the Ravens are trading Brown is they can’t afford a huge contract. They can’t afford one for Robinson either.

They are tight to the cap and Lamar is extension eligible.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I updated my post.

The reason the Ravens are trading Brown is they can’t afford a huge contract. They can’t afford one for Robinson either.

They are tight to the cap and Lamar is extension eligible.

That's a fair point. I noticed that too but they do have some moves to make to clear space too. 

They have got to get Lamar some help at WR. And even TE after losing the other TE last offseason, I forget his name.

Until we have a QB we need to assume a premium resource (cap or pick) is going towards that. In fact 2 premium resources may be spent.

That leaves us a little short handed in terms of resources elsewhere.

The best case scenario is a high draft pick, which saves us cap space to spend elsewhere. The issue is does a QB fall to 20, the minute we trade up more resources disappear.

14 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Even if you could make the deal where is the QB coming from?

At this point Windy....I don't know. I don't think I need to tell you about the type of predicament we are in right now.  You know the saying stuck between a rock and hard place? Well....right now we both the rock AND the hard place. 

This is what I mean when I say that I am leaning more towards fixing the positions around the QB this year rather fixing the QB position and waiting until next year.  If we roll with Foles or a rookie....let's face it...unless that rookie turns out to be a gem above the 5 other QBs ahead of him.....we're headed for a losing season and Pace, Nagy, and ball boy are all fired and we are starting with a new regime. 

The new regime can then have pieces already in place for THEIR QB (a new GM AND HC BOTH picking their OWN QB at the same time---something we have never done before and is the modern way). Sorry for all the caps...not yelling just emphasizing.  

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Until we have a QB we need to assume a premium resource (cap or pick) is going towards that. In fact 2 premium resources may be spent.

That leaves us a little short handed in terms of resources elsewhere.

The best case scenario is a high draft pick, which saves us cap space to spend elsewhere. The issue is does a QB fall to 20, the minute we trade up more resources disappear.

My prediction is that Pace moves up a few spots to take Mac ahead of Carolina. That would cost our first and a 3rd maybe? I'm too lazy to do the draft math so tell me if I'm wrong. 

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Leno was indeed serviceable with Whitehair next to him. I'm not sure how you can debate that. 

That was the caveat for my comment too. Whitehair is a stud LG and made up for a lot of Leno’s deficiencies. I didn’t say he was great or even good. I said he was serviceable, which I mean as to say he’s a middle of the road starter at the position. I’d put him somewhere in the 20 range as far as starting LTs go. Not great, but definitely not the worst, and definitely better with Whitehair next to him. If we let Leno go this offseason he will undoubtedly be starting elsewhere week 1 next year, probably on a multi-year deal. The idea that he’s worse than just any 300+ lb warm body you could plug in at LT is a little ridiculous. He’s far from a franchise caliber LT but some of you guys talk about him like he’s 2009 Orlando Pace out there, and he certainly ain’t that either. 

5 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

@Sugashane You wanted a TE...this is your man. I know you were talking about a UTE but still.

Look at that stutter step followed by one long stride and immediate break way speed through the seam. 

I'm a Gators fanatic JAF... dont you dare tease me.

Pitts could be our #2 WR behind ARob next year, he's that damn athletic. I was really high on Claypool last year as a TE/WR hybrid and Pitts can be better at either spot imo. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

This is what I mean when I say that I am leaning more towards fixing the positions around the QB this year rather fixing the QB position and waiting until next year.  If we roll with Foles or a rookie....let's face it...unless that rookie turns out to be a gem above the 5 other QBs ahead of him.....we're headed for a losing season and Pace, Nagy, and ball boy are all fired and we are starting with a new regime. 

The new regime can then have pieces already in place for THEIR QB (a new GM AND HC BOTH picking their OWN QB at the same time---something we have never done before and is the modern way). Sorry for all the caps...not yelling just emphasizing.  

What you propose is the route most of us (even those of us like me who would support a Wentz trade at the right price) would prefer. Unfortunately when George decided to retain Pace and Nagy he essentially made sure this wasn’t the route we’d be going in 2021. They’re going to avoid bottoming out at all costs. 

6 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I'm a Gators fanatic JAF... dont you dare tease me.

Pitts could be our #2 WR behind ARob next year, he's that damn athletic. I was really high on Claypool last year as a TE/WR hybrid and Pitts can be better at either spot imo. 

Pitts is a freak but I think he’s gonna be LONG gone by 20. I wouldn’t be terribly opposed to adding his teammate Kedarius Toney though if we don’t go OT there (my high preference).

I’m a big fan of Teven Jenkins at 20. He’s more experienced at RT than LT (though he’s played both) and I think his skill set fits best at RT, but he’s got a lot of nasty to his game. 

12 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

My prediction is that Pace moves up a few spots to take Mac ahead of Carolina. That would cost our first and a 3rd maybe? I'm too lazy to do the draft math so tell me if I'm wrong. 

Carolina is at 8 so it would cost more.

Getting ahead of SF likely costs a 2nd

Getting ahead of NE likely costs a 3.

54 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Carolina is at 8 so it would cost more.

It would, but of course whether a trade is even possible mostly depends on the team, and the situation. 

What is Atlanta's strategy even going to be? Some football folks seem convinced that they'll draft an eventual Ryan replacement. Others aren't so sure. And--how much of a rebuild do they think they need? Atlanta could be really eager to trade their pick...or they could be dead set against it. 

If Penei Sewell or JaMarr Chase are available at #5, I don't think Cincinnati will be open to trading with anyone.

If the Bears don't get Wentz from the Eagles (thus making them trade up for Jones), I doubt the Eagles would be willing to do business with them. Maybe if the Colts (or whoever) outbids the Bears. But if the Eagles are stuck with Wentz? 

The Lions absolutely will not trade #7 to the Bears. 

Obviously, if either the Jets or Dolphins don't trade their pick, or don't take a QB, then it scrambles everything. 

It's a very complicated scenario, which makes me even more terrified that Pace will be in charge of navigating it...

Edited by Heinz D.

59 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

It's a very complicated scenario, which makes me even more terrified that Pace will be in charge of navigating it...

There are a hundred moving parts to this thing, which IMO makes it all the more likely Pace opts for a controlled outcome to our QB dilemma via trade vs. waiting til draft day when the FA and trade options are (probably) all gone and potentially ending up left out or, perhaps even worse, putting himself in the position where he HAS to win a bidding war to move up to avoid missing out. 

• Like 2