Future QB Discussion

G08

I've said all along I've thought the Bears will end up with either Carr or Jimmy G, my gut is still Jimmy G.  That said I still would try to get a deal together for Derek Carr.  

But in pipe dreams world, what would it take to get Watson.  If we believe that the Panthers would be willing to offer 3 firsts and McCaffrey, could the Bears offer 3 firsts and Mack? 3 firsts and Hicks/Fuller?  The latter would be best for the Bears cap situation.

21 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I've said all along I've thought the Bears will end up with either Carr or Jimmy G, my gut is still Jimmy G.  That said I still would try to get a deal together for Derek Carr.  

But in pipe dreams world, what would it take to get Watson.  If we believe that the Panthers would be willing to offer 3 firsts and McCaffrey, could the Bears offer 3 firsts and Mack? 3 firsts and Hicks/Fuller?  The latter would be best for the Bears cap situation.

I think Jimmy G will either be in SF or he will be cut and head back to NE.

28 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Carr only gets moved in a Watson deal IMO.  Jimmy G only gets moved if the 49ers acquire Watson or they trade up.  And if Jimmy G is released, I'd put a LOT of money on him ending up back in New England.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think it is likely that the Bears do not have a good option at QB in 2021.

I would probably agree with this one.  I think the "best case" scenario might be to roll with Jameis Winston on a 2 year deal (similar to what Teddy Bridgewater is doing), and then draft a QB at 20 or in the second round.

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Do you mean that they don't have a good option in mind? (Now, after Wentz was shipped to Indy.)

Or that there's not any good options available? 

I do not even think Wentz was a great option.

But what are the good options available? 

I just do not see them landing someone who moves the needle.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I would probably agree with this one.  I think the "best case" scenario might be to roll with Jameis Winston on a 2 year deal (similar to what Teddy Bridgewater is doing), and then draft a QB at 20 or in the second round.

If we sign Winston it needs to be a cheap deal. A 1 year, $3 mil deal is about the highest he should warrant. He couldn't even definitively beat out Hill.

4 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Do you mean that they don't have a good option in mind? (Now, after Wentz was shipped to Indy.)

Or that there's not any good options available? 

I'd say it's the latter.  There isn't any good QBs in FA.  They're too far away to trade up for any of the top QBs without completely crippling the franchise.  And other teams have better assets to deal for a potential franchise QB via trade.  Best case scenario is that the Bears jump on a mega-deal with Houston, where Chicago gets back someone like Carr or Bridgewater back.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Winston is likely re-signing with the Saints but I agree that it will likely be a veteran, most likely Foles, and a rookie.

People keep overlooking Foles but Bears have not once indicated that they are ruling him out as a starter in 2021.  They just traded a 4th for him last offseason and he counts at least $7M towards their cap this season unless traded.

I know this is not what most Bears fans want to hear but unless the team trades for a sure fire starter better than Foles such as a Watson, Dak, Carr, etc. then he will likely be back competing for the starting role.

• Like 1