Future QB Discussion

G08

13 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Winston is likely re-signing with the Saints but I agree that it will likely be a veteran, most likely Foles, and a rookie.

People keep overlooking Foles but Bears have not once indicated that they are ruling him out as a starter in 2021.  They just traded a 4th for him last offseason and he counts at least $7M towards their cap this season unless traded.

I know this is not what most Bears fans want to hear but unless the team trades for a sure fire starter better than Foles such as a Watson, Dak, Carr, etc. then he will likely be back competing for the starting role.

The problem is that Foles is atrocious and unwatchable.

It would get everyone fired, which is positive, but it would be the worst 6-10 season in modern NFL viewing history.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Best case scenario is that the Bears jump on a mega-deal with Houston, where Chicago gets back someone like Carr or Bridgewater back.

Yeah, I floated some scenarios with a three team Watson trade a while back. Thought the Dolphins were the most likely second team, as they have Tua and #3. That, or any other similar scenario, is a REALLY big stretch, though. 

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The problem is that Foles is atrocious and unwatchable.

It would get everyone fired, which is positive, but it would be the worst 6-10 season in modern NFL viewing history.

Probably but who could they realistically get that's better and that won't cost a ton?  The only guy that perhaps fits that ball is Derek Carr, but from what is being put out there the Raiders aren't in a hurry to deal him unless they themselves know they're getting an upgrade at QB.

SO again, where does that leave Bears?  Unless they can pry Carr away the best thing they can do to get an upgrade at QB IMO is to take their chances in the draft

8 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Yeah, I floated some scenarios with a three team Watson trade a while back. Thought the Dolphins were the most likely second team, as they have Tua and #3. That, or any other similar scenario, is a REALLY big stretch, though. 

The problem is that Chicago needs a productive QB...now.  They can't afford to wait for someone like Tua to be productive.  Their defense is aging, and they need to find a QB who can be productive this year.

14 hours ago, topwop1 said:

He can prefer it all he wants. I'd be more than fine with him not coming to Bears... really

The more stuff I hear about Wentz the more I think he's too soft to play QB in this league 

If he can't handle the pressure playing in a city like Philly then he's got no shot in a place like Chicago

We don't need players with a sissy attitude 

Agreed.  The Bears need an uber-talented meatball.  That's why I would consider Gardner Minshew as a low cost option.  He's not all that talented, but he does have the meatball part down in spades.  :D

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Agreed.  The Bears need an uber-talented meatball.  That's why I would consider Gardner Minshew as a low cost option.  He's not all that talented, but he does have the meatball part down in spades.  :D

I would rather sign Mitch to a 1yr/1M deal (similar to Winston) and role with Mitch/Foles again before paying Minshew.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The problem is that Chicago needs a productive QB...now.  They can't afford to wait for someone like Tua to be productive.  Their defense is aging, and they need to find a QB who can be productive this year.

That's true, and it's a helluva problem. They'd have to hope that Tua, or a draft pick, could start right away (or close to it), and do well. Mac Jones is fairly pro-ready, regardless of how good he turns out to be, but I don't know that the Bears can even get him.

19 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I would rather sign Mitch to a 1yr/1M deal (similar to Winston) and role with Mitch/Foles again before paying Minshew.

Totally disagree. I think you're selling Minshew short. But I have the feeling it doesn't matter either way. It sounds like Mitch is done with Nagy and Pace. 

56 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Probably but who could they realistically get that's better and that won't cost a ton?  The only guy that perhaps fits that ball is Derek Carr, but from what is being put out there the Raiders aren't in a hurry to deal him unless they themselves know they're getting an upgrade at QB.

SO again, where does that leave Bears?  Unless they can pry Carr away the best thing they can do to get an upgrade at QB IMO is to take their chances in the draft

I think the betting money would have to be on Foles + whatever rookie they can add [I doubt any of the top 4].

That has to be the most likely at this point.

56 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

They are not going to. The only options that would really move the needle are not being traded [Carr, Watson, Dak].

The plan isn't going to work and likely was never going to work because good QBs do not switch teams very often.

They need to get lucky on a young guy or catch fire with a reclamation project.

30 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I think Mitch would tell you to pound sand.

I do not doubt Mitch wants a fresh start and he will have a market for more than 1 million, even as a backup.

41 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

The thing about Minshew is that I don't think it would take a giant contract to sign him.  He was a late round draft pick two years ago (6th or 7th?) and he still needs to prove himself before earning a mega-contract.  One thing is certain: he would be a decent upgrade over Trubisky or Foles.

I was just watching the Jags/Texans game from early in 2020 and the thing that kept coming up in my mind was "is Deshaun Watson that much better than Minshew?"  I know that sounds crazy, because Watson is certainly better, but when you consider the price it would take to get each of them, I really wonder if a team would be all that much better off in the long run giving up all those first rounders for Watson. 

Again, I don't want anyone to think I'm saying Minshew is on Watson's level, but he really isn't bad at all.  He doesn't have the rocket arm, and it would be great if he was about 3-4 inches taller, but Minshew makes a lot of good decisions and seems to have the confidence to run an offense.  For maybe a 3rd round pick, the Bears could do a lot worse.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Unless they franchise him I dont see any way Tru agrees to stay another year under Nagy. If I was a QB who was trying to make a career Chicago would be one of the last places I'd want to go. Then add being held back and your development stunted for 4 years and there is really no upside to it for him. 

Pace has to have something up his sleeve. He isn't rolling with Darnold, Minshew, Foles or even Mac Jones. He's either going all in on a big name vet- wilson, Watson, Roethlisberger- or he's getting Lance, Fields or Wilson. His job depends on this. Fitzpatrick? Blah. He's going all in. In 2017 he knew he had to get a QB and he's going to do it again. For as much s*** as I give him, I hope to hell he gets it right