Future QB Discussion

G08

13 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm convinced of it because if they go into 2021 with Foles & Jones, Fitzpatrick & Jones, Minshew & Jones, etc they're going to win 6 games and he's going to get himself fired. He doesn't give a damn about the state of the franchise in 2022 and beyond if he gets fired. He knows they have to win NOW. That's why I'm convinced. Lance would be my 3rd choice between QB2-4 but if he shows promise in OTA's, TC or even games they will sell George on him being ready to go in 2022 with a year of learning the pro game + talk him up on what he shows in the film room and practice

Jones could be a day one starter, from everything I've heard. 

Putting that aside, though; would do think Pace's plan could possibly be? I mean, how could grabbing, say, Russell Wilson be his plan? I'm not following. 

7 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I think it's safe to say that Pace did the right thing but as always only time will tell

The thing is, even if Wentz succeeds with the Colts, that doesn't mean Nagy would have been able to get the same out of him.  IMO, Wentz is going to need to land in the perfect situation to succeed or he will probably be done.  Indy is a good situation for him.  He just doesn't seem like a good fit in Chicago to me.

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Jones could be a day one starter, from everything I've heard. 

Putting that aside, though; would do think Pace's plan could possibly be? I mean, how could grabbing, say, Russell Wilson be his plan? I'm not following. 

Jones isn't mobile at all. His arm strength is meh. He played only 1 year and played with 10 other professionals. He could be a good player, but QB5 and Foles doesn't save him if they finish 6-11.

I'm not following your bottom question. If Wilson, Watson, etc are indeed available, why would they NOT be his plan? The team has enough to win *now.* Wilson and Watson are great *now.* Why aren't you following that adding a great QB would save Pace's job? I'd assume that would be a no brainer and we'd all be excited. If reports are true they were serious about Brady last offseason. He knows he needs a big fish

Edited by beardown3231

7 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

The thing is, even if Wentz succeeds with the Colts, that doesn't mean Nagy would have been able to get the same out of him.  IMO, Wentz is going to need to land in the perfect situation to succeed or he will probably be done.  Indy is a good situation for him.  He just doesn't seem like a good fit in Chicago to me.

Agreed. Acquiring Wentz would have limited what they could do cap wise this offseason to surround him with the proper supporting cast needed to help make him successful. He's not going to do it all on his own. In Indy he already has a way better OL and the Colts are flush with cap space. Plus Reich is a better coach than Nagy IMO. Much better situation.

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

Good move for Wentz & the Colts...doesn't automatically mean bad move for us...Wentz is clearly very talented but his cap number would have been tough to work around and would have 100% led to the breakup of our defence...a cheaper option who will provide even good QB play would be enough on this team to win probably 10 games next year...give me Minshew with a running game and a healthy D and yes we are sort of back to the future with an upgraded Kyle Orton type but that could be enough to win.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm not following your bottom question. If Wilson, Watson, etc are indeed available, why would they NOT be his plan? The team has enough to win *now.* Wilson and Watson are great *now.* Why aren't you following that adding a great QB would save Pace's job? I'd assume that would be a no brainer and we'd all be excited. If reports are true they were serious about Brady last offseason. He knows he needs a big fish

How would Pace even know that Watson, Wilson, or Carr are actually available?

Therefore, how could something along those lines be his plan? 

Just now, Madmike90 said:

Good move for Wentz & the Colts...doesn't automatically mean bad move for us...Wentz is clearly very talented but his cap number would have been tough to work around and would have 100% led to the breakup of our defence...a cheaper option who will provide even good QB play would be enough on this team to win probably 10 games next year...give me Minshew with a running game and a healthy D and yes we are sort of back to the future with an upgraded Kyle Orton type but that could be enough to win.

I guess at this point might as well. Him or Mariota at this point. 

Just now, Heinz D. said:

How would Pace even know that Watson, Wilson, or Carr are actually available?

Therefore, how could something along those lines be his plan? 

For one, he could... maybe... I don't know... call those teams and ask?

And maybe they aren't available now but maybe they will be? 

And once again I never said good vet for sure. I did say trading up for Wilson, Lance or Fields is an option.

Just throwing this out there....

What if George already signed Pace/Nagy to long term deals (or at least one of them)? He was hush about it when asked a month ago. 

Think about it.  George knows they have to fix the QB position and if he really told Pace and Nagy that it's 2021 or bust, then how could they walk into George's office and say "we're rolling with Foles again" and expect him to be okay with it unless they already knew they was being given another year to fix the QB problem?  

Just thinking out loud is all.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

What if George already signed Pace/Nagy to long term deals (or at least one of them)? He was hush about it when asked a month ago. 

Think about it.  George knows they have to fix the QB position and if he really told Pace and Nagy that it's 2021 or bust, then how could they walk into George's office and say "we're rolling with Foles again" and expect him to be okay with it unless they already knew they was being given another year to fix the QB problem?  

I'm not at all sure that you're right about the stealth extensions, but you're more than likely right (at least in a substantive way) with the rest of that. It's not a "NFC Championship Game or bust" sort of thing unfurling next season, it's a "how do we do with improved quarterback play?" kind of deal...

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

I'd be shocked if they tagged Trubisky over Robinson. Might as well fire Pace before the draft if that happens.

I was saying that's the only way to keep Tru, by  holding him against his will. There's exactly 0% chance Tru gets the franchise tag. 

Santos would get franchised before Tru too. Hell I'd franchise Scales before wasting it on Tru. What would a LS get for being franchised? 1.2 mil? Lol. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I don't think Nagy was given a hush extension, but I wouldn't put it past them to have given Pace an extension to line his deal up with Nagy's since it was known that Pace's deal was initially expiring at the end of 2021 vs Nagy's in 2022.

I guess it makes sense in a way as I always saw the both of them as a package deal.

That's probably why Ted Phillips was so hesitant is answering that question at the season ending press conference over a month ago.  Just bizarre that they wouldn't have made it public.

But yes they very well could have more of job security then what is perceived by fans and the media.  I could totally see that being the case.

I could have handled the Wentz trade but the 2022 pick would be a total deal breaker for me. If/when Nagy fails to fix Wentz with the limited talent we have around and protecting him we then have limited resources in the 2022 draft to either get another QB or the talented player we need on offense.