Lions hiring Brad Holmes as General Manager and Executive Vice President

19 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Now, just hire a young coach like Brady or Staley to a longterm deal. Trade Stafford and begin the process of a full rebuild.

By the time Rodgers retires/getting ready to retire, ideally you’ve built a playoff caliber, division winning team.

I agree so much with this. I feel Brady will come here or Philly. But who knows. 

2 hours ago, BZski said:

“Slightly above average” yea ok. You are a confirmed Stafford hating sewer rat.

I mean, I love Stafford, and really appreciate what he has done here, but he really hasn't done anything other than put up empty stats.  Some of that is on his coaches.  Some on his demeanor, some on his supporting cast.  But given it is a rebuild, forcing a staff and GM to work with an aging QB may not be the best route.  I hope he has a chance to win someday, but I really don't think it will be here.  He has great talent, just not consistent and at 32, if he could net us a 1st plus from say Washington, I would have to strongly consider it.  

As to your comment about how hard it is to find a Matt Stafford type QB, he is by most considered to be a mid-teens to early 20s in the QB rankings currently.  He has a career 44% win percentage.  Maybe he has a lot of yards and TDs but they are not resulting in anything.  We had similar win percentages with John Kitna, Joey Harrington, and Charlie Batch.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

As to your comment about how hard it is to find a Matt Stafford type QB, he is by most considered to be a mid-teens to early 20s in the QB rankings currently.  He has a career 44% win percentage.  Maybe he has a lot of yards and TDs but they are not resulting in anything.  We had similar win percentages with John Kitna, Joey Harrington, and Charlie Batch.  

They should definitely make Stafford available and trade him if they get a good offer.  But it really isn't necessary to trade him at all costs.

He is affordable, great in the locker room and can still play.

And I don't see how three journeyman QBs who won a third of their games in Detroit have any relevance on Stafford or this offseason.  

• Like 3
5 hours ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

They should definitely make Stafford available and trade him if they get a good offer.  But it really isn't necessary to trade him at all costs.

He is affordable, great in the locker room and can still play.

And I don't see how three journeyman QBs who won a third of their games in Detroit have any relevance on Stafford or this offseason.  

I agree, they don't need to trade him.  But they also have gone through four coaches and three GMs with him and nobody is building a winner with him.  Get something for him and try a new path.  We have been reliving the same season for 10 years for the most part.  And the reason those journeyman QBs are relevant is that Stafford has produced barely more wins than they have.  Its not all on him but his below .500 winning percentage means something.  

12 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree, they don't need to trade him.  But they also have gone through four coaches and three GMs with him and nobody is building a winner with him.  Get something for him and try a new path.  We have been reliving the same season for 10 years for the most part.  And the reason those journeyman QBs are relevant is that Stafford has produced barely more wins than they have.  Its not all on him but his below .500 winning percentage means something.  

Rumor I read is that Holmes and Dan Campbell are big Stafford supporters are want to build around him. That’s partly why they got the job.

• Like 1
On 1/14/2021 at 11:12 PM, Superduperman said:

I think the difficulty, like Stafford, is slightly above average.

I don’t think you realize how difficult it is getting even competent QB play.

Detroit is a bad team that’s bad at drafting and flip flops what they want to do philosophically every 3 years. Stafford is the only thing semi competent about Detroit.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 4
13 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think it says they've done a poor job of hiring GMs and HCs.  They didn't just miss with the hiring of Quinntricia, they missed badly.  Tabor, Tavai, Davis, Harris, James, Vatai, Coleman, etc. Not drafting speed or pass rushers.  Not changing your philosophy to match your personnel.  And on and on.

I like the hiring of Holmes because he sounds like another guy they had in-house in the 90s that they somehow let go elsewhere; Kevin Colbert.

And then hired Mr. Matt Millen.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I don’t think you realize how difficult it is getting even competent QB play.

Detroit is a bad team that’s bad at drafting and flip flops what they want to do philosophically every 3 years. Stafford is the only thing semi competent about Detroit.

Yeah the idea is to turn that around. This is, after all, a thread about them hiring a new GM, not about Stafford.

You know what would be an undeniable sign that the Lions are going to continue to operate like a sub-NFL level franchise? If they do exactly as you're saying, assume Stafford is the best player they're ever going to get, stick with him until he's 40, and never shoot for something better.

2 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Yeah the idea is to turn that around. This is, after all, a thread about them hiring a new GM, not about Stafford.

You know what would be an undeniable sign that the Lions are going to continue to operate like a sub-NFL level franchise? If they do exactly as you're saying, assume Stafford is the best player they're ever going to get, stick with him until he's 40, and never shoot for something better.

Stafford is staying bro. Haters gonna hate. I never understand the Stafford hating sewer rats in the Lions fan community. 

7 minutes ago, BZski said:

Stafford is staying bro. Haters gonna hate. I never understand the Stafford hating sewer rats in the Lions fan community. 

Call me when your dude beats a team with winning record. 9-54, man, NINE and FIFTY FOUR.

*for any non-lions fan reading this and who gives a crap (0) I don't actually hate Stafford, I consider him above average but not an elite QB. unlike this stan right here

Edited by Superduperman
44 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Call me when your dude beats a team with winning record. 9-54, man, NINE and FIFTY FOUR.

*for any non-lions fan reading this and who gives a crap (0) I don't actually hate Stafford, I consider him above average but not an elite QB. unlike this stan right here

Yea because it’s all Staffords fault he has had a terrible running game and defense his whole career. “SuperDuper” good point! 

• Like 1
Just now, BZski said:

Yea because it’s all Staffords fault he has had a terrible running game and defense his whole career. “SuperDuper” good point! 

Then why wouldn't you want to see him moved to a team with a defense and run game so that Stafford can shine? Do I think the Lions HAVE to move Stafford? No. But it's a possibility that favors both sides. As long as they can find a suitable offer for him. 

12 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Then why wouldn't you want to see him moved to a team with a defense and run game so that Stafford can shine? Do I think the Lions HAVE to move Stafford? No. But it's a possibility that favors both sides. As long as they can find a suitable offer for him. 

NOWAY! Stafford isn’t the problem. It takes to long to find a franchise QB as good as Stafford. Build around him and let him win in Detroit. The NFL is setup for quick turnarounds. Just get an average D and running game around Stafford and Lions are a playoff team.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, BZski said:

NOWAY! Stafford isn’t the problem. It takes to long to find a franchise QB as good as Stafford. Build around him and let him win in Detroit. The NFL is setup for quick turnarounds. Just get an average D and running game around Stafford and Lions are a playoff team.

Do you think the Lions will be in a position to be a playoff team by next season? Because that is when Stafford's contract is up. Do you see the Lions re-sgining a 35 yr old Stafford to another top $$ contract if they are not in position to win now? 

I love Stafford. I agree that our issues don't fall squarely on him. But I'm also quite aware that we are not one or two pieces away. We are YEARS away. Prime years for Stafford. Prime years he could be playing for superbowls with teams that are in position to win now. And I think he deserves that. 

I also think the Lions many holes could be addressed better with the $33 million we are paying Stafford to wait around for a miracle at the moment.