I want QB Mathew Stafford here, but how much would it cost to get him?

aceinthehouse

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Us Washington fans just crack me up all the time. We’ll sit here and be relieved we didn’t beat the Rams out to get Stafford but, most fans will be complaining next year when our D is great, our run game is good or great with Gibby but our passing game is average or worse bc of QB play once again. Sesame Street Idk GIF

But 2 years from now when we do have better play at the position and assets to keep improving the roster how should we feel?

35 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

But 2 years from now when we do have better play at the position and assets to keep improving the roster how should we feel?

That would imply we found something to make that happen and who knows if we will. We've been burned again ... and again ... and again ... and again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

That would imply we found something to make that happen and who knows if we will. We've been burned again ... and again ... and again ... and again.

Cant draft scared. Also if Ron can truely keep Snyder out of the QB decision I think it’s possible. But the fact we’re in the trade the farm market I think Snyder is again more involved then we are willing to discuss.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Cant draft scared. Also if Ron can truely keep Snyder out of the QB decision I think it’s possible. But the fact we’re in the trade the farm market I think Snyder is again more involved then we are willing to discuss.

I didn't want to be the first one to post that, but when I read one of the reports this morning that we are desperate for a franchise QB, thats where my thoughts went. It smacks of Snyder railroading that decision through everyone. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I didn't want to be the first one to post that, but when I read one of the reports this morning that we are desperate for a franchise QB, thats where my thoughts went. It smacks of Snyder railroading that decision through everyone. 

I mean to me this is what we do. Someone bright builds and Snyder releases them because he interferes and then they make a panic desperation move it’s our 3 or 4 year cycle. Snyder is just a clown. All these execs talk about our youth movement and they give no credit to the guy responsible but they are going to blow it up before they actually have the roster completely ready by forcing a panic trade instead of continuing with the direction that’s shown signs of working. But I think it’s obvious Snyder wants so much to find a QB that’s why we keep never having one

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Us Washington fans just crack me up all the time. We’ll sit here and be relieved we didn’t beat the Rams out to get Stafford but, most fans will be complaining next year when our D is great, our run game is good or great with Gibby but our passing game is average or worse bc of QB play once again. 

You are right, but it is all about price.  I want a qb, but you can't overpay on multiple fronts (cap space and draft picks and players).

I like to look at this whole situation in the context of Kirk Cousins.  At one point Stafford was better than Cousins, but at this point in their careers Stafford is essentially the same qb as Cousins- a better than average starting qb, but not elite.

Many people thought the vikings over paid for Cousins.  But all the Vikings paid was cap space.  This move is like paying Cousins the same amount plus multiple top picks and players.  It is just too much.  Our #19 I could have swallowed, but what the Rams gave up is simply too much.  You also have to remember, that Cousins was younger and just entering the prime of his career when the Vikings paid him.  Stafford has already passed that point.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, offbyone said:

You are right, but it is all about price.  I want a qb, but you can't overpay on multiple fronts (cap space and draft picks and players).

I like to look at this whole situation in the context of Kirk Cousins.  At one point Stafford was better than Cousins, but at this point in their careers Stafford is essentially the same qb as Cousins- a better than average starting qb, but not elite.

Many people thought the vikings over paid for Cousins.  But all the Vikings paid was cap space.  This move is like paying Cousins the same amount plus multiple top picks and players.  It is just too much.  Our #19 I could have swallowed, but what the Rams gave up is simply too much.  You also have to remember, that Cousins was younger and just entering the prime of his career when the Vikings paid him.  Stafford has already passed that point.

Exactly strapping your cap as you see with the vikes has hurt them!!! And that’s with them having loads of picks last year so they did the opposite of lose picks and they still can’t sustain the success.

3 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Well that depends on if, IF we can find a QB who’s going to be better than what we’ve had in Kirk & Alex which I’m personally skeptical about. Of course if we somehow have Allen or Heinicke become a good starter, draft a guy who becomes a good starter or sign another vet and they become a good starter for us I’ll be thankful that we still have our picks and that guy but I don’t have much faith that we’ll find an answer.

Let’s not forget, the main reason Rivera was an average HC in Carolina who went 15-1 in 2015 and got to a Super Bowl was because he and Hurney were able to get the #1 pick and take Cam.

How do we get that QB now that our D will make us average even with inconsistent QB play?

Honestly, I think I’m going to start a thread on this, now that the Lions have their starting QB, should we trade up with the Lions and position ourselves with the 7th pick so we could get Justin Fields or Zach Wilson?

19 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Well that depends on if, IF we can find a QB who’s going to be better than what we’ve had in Kirk & Alex which I’m personally skeptical about. Of course if we somehow have Allen or Heinicke become a good starter, draft a guy who becomes a good starter or sign another vet and they become a good starter for us I’ll be thankful that we still have our picks and that guy but I don’t have much faith that we’ll find an answer.

Let’s not forget, the main reason Rivera was an average HC in Carolina who went 15-1 in 2015 and got to a Super Bowl was because he and Hurney were able to get the #1 pick and take Cam.

How do we get that QB now that our D will make us average even with inconsistent QB play?

Honestly, I think I’m going to start a thread on this, now that the Lions have their starting QB, should we trade up with the Lions and position ourselves with the 7th pick so we could get Justin Fields or Zach Wilson?

The way you get your QB is by indentifying your guy. It takes luck. But I trusted Kyle to work with Ron to find that guy. And the issue is I don’t trust Snyder to not get involved. He can’t resist when it comes to the QB spot. But deep rosters have developed QB’s. Good coaching develops QB’s. Good coaches with good scouting dept’s identify their guys. And eventually you get lucky. Do I trust our current staff? Heck No!!! They just let the piece that had my faith in finding the right guy in this draft class or the next to do that. I know I sound crazy but I think Mond is that guy especially if you get a weapon or OL round 1!!! I personally believe Mond is the next Dak or Russ. Could I be wrong? Heck yes. But I have literally watched so much I have a binder full of notes and I place him on our team in this system and I believe he is exactly what you want. That doesn’t mean I don’t think Fields or Lance can do the same because in round one you best believe I take them!!! But that’s the type of player a good scouting/ coaching relationship makes and identifies as a plus level risk. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

The way you get your QB is by indentifying your guy. It takes luck. But I trusted Kyle to work with Ron to find that guy. And the issue is I don’t trust Snyder to not get involved. He can’t resist when it comes to the QB spot. But deep rosters have developed QB’s. Good coaching develops QB’s. Good coaches with good scouting dept’s identify their guys. And eventually you get lucky. Do I trust our current staff? Heck No!!! They just let the piece that had my faith in finding the right guy in this draft class or the next to do that. I know I sound crazy but I think Mond is that guy especially if you get a weapon or OL round 1!!! I personally believe Mond is the next Dak or Russ. Could I be wrong? Heck yes. But I have literally watched so much I have a binder full of notes and I place him on our team in this system and I believe he is exactly what you want. That doesn’t mean I don’t think Fields or Lance can do the same because in round one you best believe I take them!!! But that’s the type of player a good scouting/ coaching relationship makes and identifies as a plus level risk. 

Wait a second, the two guys we hired have each drafted franchise QBs. And, Mayhew was on the 49ers staff when they traded for Garapolo.

Has Kyle Smith ever drafted a QB who’s become good?

I have nothing against Kyle, but he didn’t have a hand in drafting Kirk Cousins and we haven’t drafted a QB since Kirk that’s turned out to be anything and Kyle has been apart of each of those drafts since 2014.

I think you’re a bit out there on Mond. I don’t think the guy is going to be awful, but I don’t see pro bowl quality in him as a prospect which you could see in Russ & Dak as prospects.

Edited by turtle28

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Wait a second, the two guys we hired have each drafted franchise QBs. And, Mayhew was on the 49ers staff when they traded for Garapolo.

Has Kyle Smith ever drafted a QB who’s become good?

I have nothing against Kyle, but he didn’t have a hand in drafting Kirk Cousins and we haven’t drafted a QB since Kirk that’s turned out to be anything and Kyle has been apart of each of those drafts since 2014.

I think you’re a bit out there on Mond. I don’t think the guy is going to be awful, but I don’t see pro bowl quality in him as a prospect which you could see in Russ & Dak as prospects.

Did Smith ever have a chance and the power too?

Trust me I know I’m pretty alone on Mond. But I was also alone saying Prescott would be a better player then Goff and wentz and he was drafted 3 rounds lower and has been a good player who went to a team that had weapons that could protect him with a good defense. That’s why I think Mond could do the same for a team like Carolina, Wash, SF, Pitt, and teams with coaches. Trust me Mond has the mental. He has the traits. I’ll stand alone on it. I’m alone on a lot of my takes. I’m not afraid of being wrong but I literally scout just as much as I work lol. And I’ve learned through a lot of my misses and learning over the years I tend to love my guys and like a lot less guys in total.

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

Trust me I know I’m pretty alone on Mond. But I was also alone saying Prescott would be a better player then Goff and wentz and he was drafted 3 rounds lower and has been a good player who went to a team that had weapons that could protect him with a good defense. That’s why I think Mond could do the same for a team like Carolina, Wash, SF, Pitt, and teams with coaches. Trust me Mond has the mental. He has the traits. I’ll stand alone on it. I’m alone on a lot of my takes. I’m not afraid of being wrong but I literally scout just as much as I work lol. And I’ve learned through a lot of my misses and learning over the years I tend to love my guys and like a lot less guys in total.

Your not alone I’m with you!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, offbyone said:

I’d say both Cousins & Stafford are better than average. They’re still top 10 QBs in my eyes & the fact that Brees is likely retiring and even so wasn’t a top 10 QB last year & Big Ben is barely a top 10 QB anymore given his Age and elbow surgery I’d say that Cousins & Stafford are definitely better than average.

An average QB to me is the ones putting up 3500 passing yards or just above. Those continually putting up near and over 4,000 yards are good starters to me. Cousins & Stafford fit that category.

As for if it’s too much, you put either Cousins or Stafford with our 2019 D and I think we win 10 or 11 games. And, that would be the case for the next 5 years at the least depending on how long Kirk & Stafford would play.

Instead look at us, we’re discussing if we should trade multiple picks to move into The top 10, and some people are wondering if we should trade a pick for guys like Carr or Mariota?

Bottomline is we’re still grasping.