I want QB Mathew Stafford here, but how much would it cost to get him?

aceinthehouse

15 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

I just don’t see a way of getting Stafford without having to give up a 1st

but honestly I think Stafford would get banged up here, this offense has proven that it needs a mobile QB. Heinicke proved it and the glimpses we saw in Allen proved it. 

Yeah, that’s where I’m at. I think we’re going to Have to give up a 1st plus other picks or players and I wouldn’t do that.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Practically anyone is better than what we had a QB this year, including a young QB on a cheap contract.  Matthew Stafford has never won anything why do you think he would win with us?

I think we'd have by far the best Defense he's ever had and He's good enough to put up #'s on offense that will score that will make the defense even more deadly in turnover when people are forced to pass and we don't get out scored by 100 points in the first half and play from behind all season.

I don't think he's a perfect answer by any means,think he's the best realistic option though as we're never getting Watson as we can't send a QB back and TLaw,Wilson and Fields are likely out the picture pick wise.I like Trey Lance but with out current QBs think he'd get thrown in to early either from inj or preformance reasons when he isn't ready.Mac Jones and Kyle Trask both lack the movement needed and our supporting cast isn't anything near as op as eithers of theirs was in college compared to the other collage teams.

If we were picking 10th I wouldn't even consider Stafford most likely as I'd want to trade up and try to get Wilson or even take a risk in my view on Fields.

Just feel if we force a QB pick at 19th to go Young at the spot we're going to be picking top 10 or top 5 next year esp if Alex doesn't come back(Which I don't think he should).

Where if we had a off season of getting Stafford then signing a WR or two like Marvin Jones and/or Curtis Samuel I'd feel pretty confident in picking us to win division and possible be dangerous in playoff depending on if the defense progresses right.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

That was in 2011.  His past 3 years: 4,084, 2,499, 3,777.  For comparison we started 4 different QBs this year and still had 3,796 passing yards as a team.

If we’re being fair, even in that span, he’s 12th in yards/game among active QBs who’ve started at least a full season’s worth of games. He was a legit MVP candidate in the first half of 2019 before he got hurt. He’s a good player. He’s also aging, has been injured the past two seasons, and has never won the big one, as you’ve pointed out. To me, it’s sort of equivalent to just getting Cousins back again.

So it’s clearly a flawed solution. I’m still waiting to hear one that isn’t, though. My plan of just letting Heinicke and Allen duke it out next season will probably result in punting the 2021 season, which I do hate and which I expect Coach Ron and GM Rivera will be staunchly opposed to. The FA market looks bone dry, the options at 19 are pretty uninspiring, we’re out of range for trading up for the higher-tier prospects, and mid-round picks are never an answer. If there’s a great answer floating around out there, I’m all ears. Otherwise I think we’re just picking our preferred version of all the deeply flawed QB options.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, e16bball said:

If we’re being fair, even in that span, he’s 12th in yards/game among active QBs who’ve started at least a full season’s worth of games. He was a legit MVP candidate in the first half of 2019 before he got hurt. He’s a good player. He’s also aging, has been injured the past two seasons, and has never won the big one, as you’ve pointed out. To me, it’s sort of equivalent to just getting Cousins back again.

So it’s clearly a flawed solution. I’m still waiting to hear one that isn’t, though. My plan of just letting Heinicke and Allen duke it out next season will probably result in punting the 2021 season, which I do hate and which I expect Coach Ron and GM Rivera will be staunchly opposed to. The FA market looks bone dry, the options at 19 are pretty uninspiring, we’re out of range for trading up for the higher-tier prospects, and mid-round picks are never an answer. If there’s a great answer floating around out there, I’m all ears. Otherwise I think we’re just picking our preferred version of all the deeply flawed QB options.

Then go with the cheapest deeply flawed option, rolling with Heinicke and Allen.  At least they A) know the offense and B) cost us nothing.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Then go with the cheapest deeply flawed option, rolling with Heinicke and Allen.  At least they A) know the offense and B) cost us nothing.  

Like I said, that’s probably my preferred plan. As you said, it’s cheap. It’s got some upside — in the event that one of these nobodies proves he actually has what it takes — and perhaps more importantly, it’s got lots of downside.

But you’re a big Rivera guy. Do you really think he’s going to get on board with a plan that is, in large part, intended to benefit us in the sense that we’ll probably fail and get to pick a QB high next year?

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, e16bball said:

But you’re a big Rivera guy. Do you really think he’s going to get on board with a plan that is, in large part, intended to benefit us in the sense that we’ll probably fail and get to pick a QB high next year?

So Rivera's story hits me in a very personal way, because he comes off like a father figure and my father himself battled cancer 2 years ago and beat it.  I also think he comes across as a man of his word, which is something I can appreciate after the crapshow that was the Bruce Allen era.  

I don't know what the QB solution is next year.  I just don't think that solution is Matthew Stafford.  A guy who's going to be expensive, at best a middle of the pack QB, a QB whos' never won a playoff game, and a QB who's aging and going to regress.  

• Like 2

I have no idea what we’re going to do at QB but I’d prefer to not give up a first for Stafford. However, you aren’t getting anyone anywhere close to as good as him at pick 19 or free agency and I have no interest in selling off the whole team to acquire Watson. There’s simply no way Rivera is going to punt next season like we should’ve done this year. It’s either that or they make a big run at Dak if Dallas let’s him test the market which again, is going to cost us big money. 

Well, if Rivera wants his QB? He's going to have to do it before the draft, imo.

When March hits & FA signings & trades start happening? We can't be sitting on our hands hoping for literal June 1 cuts.

Which tells me that if we are bringing in a big gun QB, like Stafford, Watson or whomever of that status? We should know before the draft or during the draft from any possible draft day trade.

If we haven't done that, then that means he plans on rolling with Heinicke, Allen or some less expensive option.

I have a gut feeling we'll be big players for a top QB. I'm just not sure who at this point.

But what Alex Smith does with his future might also determine if, or when as well.

It's just too early to know at this point.

We can not afford to trade Draft capital this year for a QB that isn’t on a rookie deal. We can’t strap what cap we have for a QB that one isn’t mobile so that removes most of the options. And then to give up draft capital will only be a detriment to our future because as you saw with Rivers. Some guys can win and some can’t. Let’s not be the Colts!!! Let’s not be the Bears with Cutler. Let’s not waist this defense because we’re scared to select a QB. Stafford could have elevated the Lions and didn’t. They had one of the most talented rosters and he won nothing. Some guys are Winners and some aren’t. Stafford and Ryan are just not winners and I promise we won’t be with them giving up picks. We don’t have Julio or Megatron to bail them out. And honestly they don’t fit our system so it’s really just more Snyder like discussion to even do these types of deals. Bruce Allen would support this type of move so please read this sentence a few times and ask yourself if that’s really what we need.

9 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

We can not afford to trade Draft capital this year for a QB that isn’t on a rookie deal. We can’t strap what cap we have for a QB that one isn’t mobile so that removes most of the options. And then to give up draft capital will only be a detriment to our future because as you saw with Rivers. Some guys can win and some can’t. Let’s not be the Colts!!! Let’s not be the Bears with Cutler. Let’s not waist this defense because we’re scared to select a QB. Stafford could have elevated the Lions and didn’t. They had one of the most talented rosters and he won nothing. Some guys are Winners and some aren’t. Stafford and Ryan are just not winners and I promise we won’t be with them giving up picks. We don’t have Julio or Megatron to bail them out. And honestly they don’t fit our system so it’s really just more Snyder like discussion to even do these types of deals. Bruce Allen would support this type of move so please read this sentence a few times and ask yourself if that’s really what we need.

I'm torn ripsean...

I really like Stafford, but he has a fat face...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

I'm torn ripsean...

I really like Stafford, but he has a fat face...

Let’s stick with the fat face because I believe patience this year will reward us beyond expectation at this position.

i just don’t see the confidence with this guy. I can say I think it would be easy for a guy to come here and see the way this lockeroom came together at the end and rediscover a spark. But Stafford just doesn’t hold up as talented as he is. Taylor came out and elevated each player in the playoffs. Now yes you can say no film and now there is some. But that confidence is what it takes. Taylor is slight so I worry about him the way he moves but man when you trust the guys around you to make a play and give them a chance we saw this offense spark. Taylor’s mobility was IMO the biggest difference between what we saw all year. We need that type of player. I think this team is actually on the brink of something special. I actually for some reason believe Kyle ends up being the GM. I know that’s crazy given our past but I actually think this year is where we take off. We need the picks and cap to supplement the roster around whoever wins the job. I really believe we’re going to strike gold this year in those mid rounds and I just think we’re about to turn the corner with a guy none of us are expecting. 

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 2

I’m not quoting anyone because I keep messing that up but if you’re quoting playoff wins as a QB stat and ignoring the abhorrent situation that Matt was in for his career then you have issues. He had Calvin Johnson, other than that it’s been a ton of “meh” journeyman skill position players and bad or meh coaching.