I want QB Mathew Stafford here, but how much would it cost to get him?

aceinthehouse

Hotep Skins fans,

I was running errands in DC yesterday, listening to the new early afternoon host Pete on Sports (G&D moved to the afternoon drive to replace Chad Dukes)...but Pedro was saying that he had seen some of the "Proposed Deals" from WFT fans for Stafford.....and said, "I dont understand some of the Thought Processes....you want to acquire this teams starting QB, who's still a top 10-top15 QB, and all you want to give them is a Bag of Footballs and some Ben's Chili Bowl..................and some Ben's Chili Bowl-to-be-named-later".....LOL

I thought Fans in the DMV might find that funny....

With what Heinicke show us vs Tampa? I don't think we need to be desperate & trade a 1st & premium player for Stafford.

Now don't get me wrong. I would rather Stafford start & have Heinicke be his backup as Stafford is more proven.

But not at the cost of #19 & Payne or some other player top player on our team.

Specially considering Stafford's age & injury history as well.

Now would I do that for Watkins? Absolutely. But he's very young & doesn't have that injury history.

There's no reason for us to bid against ourselves.

And if a team with a top #10 pick wants to trade their pick for Stafford? Good...

Just means Fields, or Lance or whomever might be within reach @19.

What I would do however, is give them an Alex Smith type offer.

Like our 2nd rounder & Matt Ionitus.

OR Maybe a 3rd rounder & Brandon Sherff.

Something to that affect.

I would not trade our 1st, unless it's for Watkins.

3 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

If Haskins wasn't given the first 4 starts, we might have won 9 or more. Shoulda beat the Giants twice !

Yeah last time I checked Kyle Allen didn’t beat the Giants & didn’t have us in position to beat them before breaking his ankle in the 2nd game.

1 hour ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Hotep Skins fans,

I was running errands in DC yesterday, listening to the new early afternoon host Pete on Sports (G&D moved to the afternoon drive to replace Chad Dukes)...but Pedro was saying that he had seen some of the "Proposed Deals" from WFT fans for Stafford.....and said, "I dont understand some of the Thought Processes....you want to acquire this teams starting QB, who's still a top 10-top15 QB, and all you want to give them is a Bag of Footballs and some Ben's Chili Bowl..................and some Ben's Chili Bowl-to-be-named-later".....LOL

I thought Fans in the DMV might find that funny....

Love Pete Medhurst! Him having the mid day or any time slot is well overdue on 106.7, Chad Dukes should’ve been canceled after Lavar Left, that show just went out of control and wasn’t really good for the last several years.

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

With what Heinicke show us vs Tampa? I don't think we need to be desperate & trade a 1st & premium player for Stafford.

Now don't get me wrong. I would rather Stafford start & have Heinicke be his backup as Stafford is more proven.

But not at the cost of #19 & Payne or some other player top player on our team.

Specially considering Stafford's age & injury history as well.

Now would I do that for Watson? Absolutely. But he's very young & doesn't have that injury history.

There's no reason for us to bid against ourselves.

And if a team with a top #10 pick wants to trade their pick for Stafford? Good...

Just means Fields, or Lance or whomever might be within reach @19.

What I would do however, is give them an Alex Smith type offer.

Like our 2nd rounder & Matt Ionitus.

OR Maybe a 3rd rounder & Brandon Sherff.

Something to that affect.

I would not trade our 1st, unless it's for Watkins.

So, let’s be honest here, Heinicke flashed but obviously that could’ve been his Colt McCoy vs Dallas & Indianapolis game from 2014 when Colt played awesome!

So, I love Heinicke but we should not be complacent and think that he or Allen are going to be definite answers unless we are just trying to see what they can for a year and then draft a QB next draft in 22 should Heinicke or Allen not prove to be good starters.

And Allen is coming off a broken ankle, while Heinike has played in 4 NFL games sustained a concussion & a dislocated shoulder in 2 starts - that shouldn’t make anyone think he’s exactly durable. That injury history is one reason I keep saying Heinicke reminds me of Colt McCoy.

And, Actually Watson does have an injury history and it’s arguably more serious than Stafford’s bc Watson tore his ACL either as a rookie to 2nd year player. He’s battled other wrist & ankle/knee sprains as well.

Stafford separated his non-throwing shoulder as a rookie & then had the injury again in 2009. Then, he got surgery and hasn’t done it again that I know of.

Up until 2019 when Stafford broke vertebrae on his back yet continue to play some, he had started 136 straight games. That is the 6th longest consecutive starting streak for an NFL QB in NFL history. Last year he hurt his thumb vs us, but he didn’t miss a game. 

So, perhaps the “injury prone” tag is a bit to strong for Stafford. Yes, he’s gotten injured - as have all NFL players & they always will - but he’s a gamer and one of the toughest players in the NFL at the same time.

Lastly, you need to understand that there are like 10 teams that are inquiring about Stafford & they don’t necessarily HAVE TO TRADE HIM as he is under contract. So, lowballing Stafford with an Alex Smith type trade isn’t going to cut it. The lions are going to get great offers for Stafford and if we don’t come up with one ourselves that includes a 1st one of our good young starters -Allen or Payne make most since to me given our depth at DT - and possibly something else, we’re not going to get him.

There’s a difference between wanting to trade an organization a bag of trash for their best QB in Team History vs them accept that bag of trash.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

So, let’s be honest here, Heinicke flashed but obviously that could’ve been his Colt McCoy vs Dallas & Indianapolis game from 2014 when Colt played awesome!

Also, I’m really not trying to take anything away from him because he truly did play great and that dive for the pylon was about as much fun as I’ve had as a Washington fan in a long time, but Tampa really was not challenging him with a lot of exotic stuff out there.

Watching it back, they were pretty much sitting in Cover 3, trying to make sure they didn’t make any big mistakes, and giving a lot of help in run support. They were basically daring him to beat them — which he did an excellent job of almost doing — but he’s not going to get the opportunity to play the rest of his career against such a vanilla game plan. 

He absolutely earned a roster spot and an RFA tender and a chance to compete for a long-term job, if nothing else just out of appreciation for what he did that night. But devoting a year to evaluating the 28-year-old recent XFL backup in the starting role should be a non-starter — unless the goal, as I’ve mentioned, is to see if maybe you could bottom out for a year and somehow end up in position to land Howell or Rattler or someone like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Love Pete Medhurst! Him having the mid day or any time slot is well overdue on 106.7, Chad Dukes should’ve been canceled after Lavar Left, that show just went out of control and wasn’t really good for the last several years.

As LaVar use to call him....."Feet Head-First".

I agree, I enjoyed Chad a LOT, the First couple of Months/Year....but then Chad stopped doing football, and started to try and mimic Adam Carolla and Howard Stern. And when he started burping on the air and doing crazy stuff, I stopped listening as much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

Also, I’m really not trying to take anything away from him because he truly did play great and that dive for the pylon was about as much fun as I’ve had as a Washington fan in a long time, but Tampa really was not challenging him with a lot of exotic stuff out there.

Watching it back, they were pretty much sitting in Cover 3, trying to make sure they didn’t make any big mistakes, and giving a lot of help in run support. They were basically daring him to beat them — which he did an excellent job of almost doing — but he’s not going to get the opportunity to play the rest of his career against such a vanilla game plan. 

He absolutely earned a roster spot and an RFA tender and a chance to compete for a long-term job, if nothing else just out of appreciation for what he did that night. But devoting a year to evaluating the 28-year-old recent XFL backup in the starting role should be a non-starter — unless the goal, as I’ve mentioned, is to see if maybe you could bottom out for a year and somehow end up in position to land Howell or Rattler or someone like that.

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

2 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I agree, I enjoyed Chad a LOT, the First couple of Months/Year....but then Chad stopped doing football, and started to try and mimic Adam Carolla and Howard Stern. And when he started burping on the air and doing crazy stuff, I stopped listening as much.

I’ve always disliked Chad. Can’t stand that tool. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I’m with Lavar703, I never liked Chad, only listened if he had good guests on like Ex-Redskins on to interview.

By far ESPN/The TEAM 980 had a better afternoon/drive home show. Really, it has to be one of the best in the country especially when Czabe, Cooley & Galdi were on there together.

• Like 1

I’ve pretty much gone all in on this. We aren’t getting Watson or Rodgers. While I could see it happening I just don’t think Dallas will be dumb enough to let Prescott walk. Our options cannot possibly be Allen, Heinecke and a draft choice. The defense can win right now and it will only get more expensive as time goes on. They need to get this trade done otherwise we’re simply going to waste this opportunity while we try to find a unicorn in the draft. 1st, third and a 4th. Just make it happen and be done with QB for the next 4 years. 

• Like 1