I want QB Mathew Stafford here, but how much would it cost to get him?

aceinthehouse

46 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Well this is scary ! Bring in on Turtle !!

I've always thought that Stafford & Cousins are very similar in their play.

It's probably the main reason I'm hesitant in trading for Stafford.

....and then I remember all the times Stafford NEVER lost to us, made many crazy comebacks & has that "it" factor you look for. Then knowing he's been on some really, REALLY bad Lions teams. Also a good leader, to boot.

And then there's Cousins...well, you guys already know how I feel about him.

Let me tell you this....

If I had to have either Stafford, or Cousins as my QB next yr.

And with Stafford, it would cost me ALL my draft choices...

And with Cousins, it would cost nothing, other than his Contract.

I would pick Stafford.

It's just that simple.

Stafford isn't perfect, but he's light years better than Kirk choke job.

And I don't care what the stats say.

I have eyes & a memory.

On 1/26/2021 at 1:59 PM, lavar703 said:

The reason I’m willing to part with pick 19 is because I don’t think we’re getting anything that we truly need there. Maybe JOK or Collins at that point but they might even be gone. Pitts is certainly gone and I have no interest in a first round TE. My dark horse would be Waddle but I’m not sure he falls anywhere close and I’d be ecstatic with Toney there but that still leaves us with no QB lol. 

I’m with you in your evaluation of pick 19 — not particularly excited about that spot in this draft. Ironically, I would have loved it last draft, with the likelihood of WRs I loved (specifically Jefferson but also Ruggs and Aiyuk who I liked a fair amount) or legit MLBs I liked (Murray and Queen) being there. 

The reason I don’t want to just give it away, despite the fact that I’m not seeing a lot of high-end talent there, is that I do think it could be a very useful asset in the sense that I believe we could turn it into multiple potential contributors. Pick 19 matches up well in terms of value with the teams picking at the end of the 1st round — teams like KC, TB, BUF, GB, NO, and even BAL who are clearly in win-now mode and might see a player they feel could take them over the top. My thought is pass-rusher as the target, but perhaps CB could be an option for them as well.

If we were able to procure the 1st and 2nd rounders from one of those teams, I think we’d have a lot of interesting options. We might be able to fill two major holes on the defense with MLB (Bolton with the 1st) and FS (perhaps Holland or Ford with the 2nd). We could package the 2nd with a 3rd and perhaps move back up to the early 2nd, giving us 3 picks in the top 51. A lot of flexibility. 

Obviously, the odds of Bolton + Holland making the same impact as Stafford are pretty low. Especially in the near future. But the other factor is cap space. Last year’s pick 31 and 63 (CB Jeff Gladney and LB Willie Gay) are making a combined $4M a year over their 4-year deals. That means you’re paying those two guys about $17-18M less than Stafford, meaning you could easily sign an elite WR with the contract difference. When it becomes 4 years each of Allen Robinson + Nick Bolton + Jevon Holland for 2 years of Matthew Stafford, that gets trickier. 

If they do 19 for Stafford, I won’t riot. I’ll be pissed if they add more, though. He’s just not that good — they’d still need to add more to the offense to win with him, and they’d be a bit hamstrung in doing so once they dumped that cap space and multiple valuable picks into acquiring him. 

• Like 2

@e16bball Here’s the way I look at it, do you think any prospect we draft at 19 will end up being as good as Stafford? I say NO and that player may even bust that we draft at 19 or players we get in a trade down, so the best move for our team for now and probably the next 7 or 8 years is to trade for Stafford if they accept our offer. Getting Stafford added to our offense to go along w/ our D on the other side makes us a playoff contender for as long as he’s here and probably even a Super Bowl contender.

Edited by turtle28

Listening to Kevin Sheehan say the only player he wouldn’t trade for Stafford is Chase Young irritated the hell out of me today. If we’re trading for Stafford I’m already reluctant to give up our first but to then add players on top of it? Are you dumb? 

My View is still
Stafford is a upgrade over anything we had at QB this year
In a year where we loss to a team going to the Superbowl in the playoffs by a score with a QB not on our roster 1st half of the season,and we also loss to the 3 seed by a score and was driving to win in a game Haskins played the whole game

I'd trade a 1st and a 3rd next year that could turn into a 2 if we make playoffs

With Stafford a FA WR and a decent defensive  draft(Assuming we get back some of our own FA) I'd feel going into next we could compete in a NFC that likely the Saints are losing Brees and are in Cap trouble,The Packers are going to be answering Rodgers/Love Questions all off season,Rams have a whole new staff beside McVay and the Bucs will be a year older or even possible if the win it all Brady goes out on Top.

I'd just rather take a shot that at worse seems like we could get out of in 2-3 years and use that cap on the young guys.I just feel like any FA QB or draft QBs at spots we can get are you pray that they improve and we in same boat as we were this year where your underdogs vs any good teams and barley good enough to hold on vs some lower teams

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Listening to Kevin Sheehan say the only player he wouldn’t trade for Stafford is Chase Young irritated the hell out of me today. If we’re trading for Stafford I’m already reluctant to give up our first but to then add players on top of it? Are you dumb? 

I’d do it. What we currently are is not even .500. The only way for our team to get a lot better is to get a lot better in the passing game, Stafford does that along with signing a #2 WR & drafting a slot WR in round 2 or the mid rounds.

57 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

My View is still
Stafford is a upgrade over anything we had at QB this year
In a year where we loss to a team going to the Superbowl in the playoffs by a score with a QB not on our roster 1st half of the season,and we also loss to the 3 seed by a score and was driving to win in a game Haskins played the whole game

I'd trade a 1st and a 3rd next year that could turn into a 2 if we make playoffs

With Stafford a FA WR and a decent defensive  draft(Assuming we get back some of our own FA) I'd feel going into next we could compete in a NFC that likely the Saints are losing Brees and are in Cap trouble,The Packers are going to be answering Rodgers/Love Questions all off season,Rams have a whole new staff beside McVay and the Bucs will be a year older or even possible if the win it all Brady goes out on Top.

I'd just rather take a shot that at worse seems like we could get out of in 2-3 years and use that cap on the young guys.I just feel like any FA QB or draft QBs at spots we can get are you pray that they improve and we in same boat as we were this year where your underdogs vs any good teams and barley good enough to hold on vs some lower teams

I’d go further than saying Stafford is an upgrade over anything we had at QB this past year or could get in FA, Stafford would be the best QB we’ve had in team history - or at least since Sonny. 

I’m with Sheehan, I’d trade a 1st & any player for Stafford not named Chase Young.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I’d go further than saying Stafford is an upgrade over anything we had at QB this past year or could get in FA, Stafford would be the best QB we’ve had in team history - or at least since Sonny. 

I’m with Sheehan, I’d trade a 1st & any player for Stafford not named Chase Young.

This is asinine. Sorry, not even remotely plausible. A first for Stafford should be enough. If you think I’m adding McLaurin, Sweat, Payne, Gibson etc you’re nuts lol.