Chris Ballard end of season press conference

Wyld Stallyns

I haven’t been able to watch it yet because I’m at work but I’ve seen a couple talking points come out. 

• Colts will talk to Rivers in a month to see whether he has decided on his future

• Marlon Mack deserves to get paid but Ballard doesn’t think the Colts can pay him what he deserves 

I’ll add more when I have a chance to listen to it later 

Ask about his confidence in the staff (Reich, Sirianni and Marcus Brady in particular) to develop a young QB. Ballard’s response “Really???” Sites Reich having worked with a young QB (Wentz) in Philly, having 3 different starting QBs in Indy. 

Ballard asked about LT, goes on tangent about how upset he is that Castonzo never made a Pro Bowl in his career. Avoids any real answer other then mentioning young talent on the roster and getting the best 5 on the field

Asked about the overall roster and how close he thinks they are to competing for whatever. Says they want to win the SB every year and some years are more realistic then others and he thought it was possible for this year. Mentions the negative comments made against Jonathan Taylor earlier in the year that confused him because he thought he was playing great as a young player.

Asked about Anthony Walker and Marlon Mack. Says he’ll speak to them next week. 

About Walker, Mark my words if he geta into coaching will be an NFL head coach one day, if he gets into scouting will be an NFL GM one day. 

About Mack, Marlon Mack (his injury) broke my heart. Watching him work his way back this season Marlon unequivocally deserves a contract but not sure if that can be done here 

EDIT - won’t discount the possibility of a backfield of Mack, Taylor, Hines and Wilkins 

Asked about the edge rush, he thinks Houston, Autry and Muhammed had good seasons. Turay came back late in the season and his ankle was still not quite right and they waiting on Banogu (inactive for most games) to come on. Everyone thinks edge rushers are going to come into the league and get 10 sacks right away and yes sometimes it happens but they traded a guy away to Buffalo and the guy turned into a rusher in year 4. 

Takes a hard shot at Ryan Grigson for trading Jerry Hughes to Buffalo  

Asked about the game where Buckner and Autry were both out and whether it concerns him about interior depth and he responded that anytime an All Pro player is out it’s going to effect your team.

Also asked about the defense giving up explosive plays (reference to last year) says the it still fits him every time they give up explosive plays and they have to continue to work on fixing that 

Earlier he had mention the work Dave Hammer and his crew did on getting everything up to compliance with testing, tracing and everything else.
He talks about himself being mentally and Physically exhausted just a couple days ago and then brings it back to Hammer and his people and the league in general doing everything it did to get the season completed 

Asked about the TE group and said nice things about Doyle and Alie-Cox and then gave credit to Reich for pushing him to sign Trey Burton. Said that he himself was Leary of the injury history and that it worked out well especially mentioning some things in the locker room that usually go unnoticed