Post elimination Mock

LoganF89

CAP SPACE

43.5 Million

Cuts/Retired

Alex Smith- Retires saves 14.7 mill

Jon Bostic- He would be a depth player if he stayed but I’ll elect to cut him saving 2.1 mill

Peyton Barber- he could stay but I’m opting to add another running back, his cut saves 1.3 mill

Isaiah Wright- with Harmon coming back and upgrading at WR he doesn’t have a spot, potential PS player but saves 750k

JHC- he’s never shown me anything and after opting out this year I’m done with him to be honest cap savings of 920k

Steven Sims- while this may be unpopular, He’s a decent WR but I have us upgrading at WR. If I thought he could be counted on to return punts I would keep him but it’s obvious that he can’t. Saves 850k

Troy Apke- Reeves takes his spot, Troy is a great special team we but I have us adding options at FS. Saves almost a mill

total cap savings of 21.6 mill

total cap space 65.1 mill

Re-Sign

Brandon Scherrf- like most of you I am hesitant due to position and recent injuries to pay him a lot but... we aren’t better without him and he’s our best Olineman, we don’t need another need and he wants to be here 4 years 14 mill avg

Ronald Darby- he was a great pickup and a very underrated player this year for us. Proved he’s worth a starting spot, I think we can get him back on a reasonable deal 3 years 6 mill avg

KPL- I love him as a high end depth signing 2 years 2.5 mill avg

Taylor Heinicke- 2nd round tender worth just over 3 mill

Kyle Allen-ERFA 2 years 3 mill avg

Reuban Foster vet min, last chance

28.5 million spent retaining our own FAs

36.6 mill heading into FA

Free Agency

Allen Robinson WR 3 years 18 mill avg. I know that’s a lot of money per year to a WR but I think Robinson would be open to a short to mid range deal. He’s currently 28 and rumors are he wants at least 18. The other option is Golladay but I feel he would want more years 

Mo Allie-Cox TE- like Logan Thomas he had to learn the game and he had a decent season, we need a number 2 TE and I think he could fit the mold 2 years 2.5 mill avg

Malik Hooker FS- heat me out! The guy has a ton of talent but has faced a lot of injuries in the pros, he’s coming off a torn achilles. He’s only 24 years old. I see this as a prove it contract. There are a lot of top dawgs available at FS but I’m not trying to spend too much at the position. A 1 year prove it deal at 4 million should get it done. If he can prove to stay healthy and can make an impact I think we have something! Also plan on drafting a rookie as well.

DRAFT

1. Jaylon Waddle WR Alabama- with the ascendence of Devonta Smith I think Waddle could be there. If he is, he’s our starting slot

2. Zaven Collins MLB Tulsa- I would honestly take him in the 1st but if Moses and the Kid from Notre Dame go ahead of him he could fall to us since he’s from a lesser known school

3. Walker Little OT Stanford- he has potential to be a future starting LT. He can sit behind Lucas, needs to work on his run blocking but His pass blocking is ready

3. Andre Cisco FS Syracuse- I k ow a lot of you like Paris Ford more but Cisco fits this defense as a single high safety that can cover with talent for forcing turnovers

4. Kellen Mond QB- I know your tired of seeing him in my mocks but I think he has the potential to lead an nfl offense. Picking a QB mid round let’s us see what we have in Heinicke and let’s us draft BPA

5. Khalil Herbert RB VT- he’s a one cut guy that can run in or off tackle, he can come in as the throes RB on the depth chart and once again insurance for Bryce Love

7. Luke Farrel TE Ohio St.- mostly a depth signing but Farrel can do it all at TE, he’s a guy that’s good at everything but not a super star at it

7. Jose Borregales K Miami- I know I drafted him before and people don’t normally draft kickers but he’s different. Goodbye Hopkins 

DEPTH

QB Heinicke/Allen/Mond

RB Gibson/Mckissic/Herbert/Love

WR Robinson/Mclaurin/Waddle/Harmon/GG

TE Thomas/Allie-Cox/Moss/Farrell 

LT Lucas/Little

LG Schweitzer/Charles

C Roullier/Ismael 

RG Scherrf/Martin

RT Moses/Christian

DE Sweat/Toohill

DT Allen/Ioannidis

DT Payne/Settle/Brantley

DE Young/ Smith-Williams

WLB L.Collins/KPL/Hudson

MLB Z.Collins/Bostic

SLB Holcomb/Foster

CB Fuller/Moreau

CB Darby/Moreland/Johnson

FS Hooker/Cisco/Reaves

SS Curl/Everette 

P Way

K Borregales

Offense- I drafted a mid round QB with tons of potential that allows us to see what we have in Heinicke and take BPA in earlier rounds, competition will make them all better

at RB I just don’t see a need for Barber when we could get a cheaper option with more potential. Herbert is a great player and he makes the team. Another reason I drafted him is for insurance one again on Love. Hoping love can finally show what he has

we get stacked at WR. Waddle is a luxury pick but it’s possible he is there and is either the 3rd or 4th WR takin after being hurt this year. What was once one of our weakest links becomes our strongest 

added a good cheap number two TE along with Moss coming back from injury and Farrell who can be a solid pro or start out on PS

on the Oline I resigned Scherrf and added a future LT in walker Little, with how Lucas and the whole Oline played last year I don’t want to take a LT in the first

DEFENSE

i did not address backup edge with kerrigan a departure but I like James Smith Williams and also with the depth at Dline we can always flex out Allen for different looks

nothing changes among the interior 

at linebacker we get a big electric sideline to sideline player in Zaven Collins, I also move Landon to WLB. He mostly plays the box at SS anyways and feel he can excel and help the team in a posterior move

i did not address the CB position besides resigning Moreau, I feel we probably should get another CB at some point but did not address it in this mock

at safety I took a low risk high reward in signing Hooker to a contract. He’s a great player, I wanted him when he got drafted like a few of you did to my knowledge but injuries have really taken a toll. Drafting Cisco was for the future and insurance for hooker. I’m confident in both

thoughts?

Edited by LoganF89
  • Like 3

I mean it doesn’t get much better then this for this team. You went BPA another year with a highly loaded draft class you added players of value maybe Collins isn’t avalible but I can see him being a tick slow at the combine and falling here. But this would be huge it’s another year of patience yet calculated risk. It improves a lot of spots I would prefer Paris Ford over Cisco because if your signing Hooker there’s a chance he can’t hold up plus Ford can tackle very well Cisco has had issues but those tend to go away for guys when they get in the league on a tough defense because they know they won’t stick. But I’d jump up and down love the RB in the draft love Waddle Collins and ARob is a dog. 

2 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I mean it doesn’t get much better then this for this team. You went BPA another year with a highly loaded draft class you added players of value maybe Collins isn’t avalible but I can see him being a tick slow at the combine and falling here. But this would be huge it’s another year of patience yet calculated risk. It improves a lot of spots I would prefer Paris Ford over Cisco because if your signing Hooker there’s a chance he can’t hold up plus Ford can tackle very well Cisco has had issues but those tend to go away for guys when they get in the league on a tough defense because they know they won’t stick. But I’d jump up and down love the RB in the draft love Waddle Collins and ARob is a dog. 

Yeah I’m down with Ford it Cisco, went with Cisco bc he’s a centerfield mold type of safety and to change it up from previous mocks. I would be happy with either at that spot in the 3rd

• Like 1

I love the draft, really like the FA too. Not really sure we get those FAs but it’d be nice.

Some of the players you have us cutting, I don’t see the need. Apke, Isaiah Wright, Barber, Steven Sims, JHC should be kept to see if we need them on the team. I mean we have like 80 or 90 guys in the offseason it would make sense that these guys would be competing for some of the last roster spots. 

Maybe they don’t end up making the team, but those decisions would be made in August, not early in the offseason.

Also, Fabian Moreau is a FA, so he’ll either have to be re-signed or let go. I’m worried we will lose him bc someone will sign him for more than we are willing to spend, especially after we hopefully give Darby a huge deal to stay. 

Edited by turtle28

I’m one of the biggest proponents of addressing the WR corps that there is, but even I’m not sure if we need that much of an investment. Don’t get me wrong, it would be thrilling to land Robinson and Waddle and go from bad WR unit to incredible in one offseason. 

But my thought is if we make a big FA outlay to add another legitimately good starting WR, we can afford to go elsewhere, at least with the 1st rounder. If Waddle is there, maybe you just can’t pass, but I don’t really expect him to be. 

To me, if we land someone like Robinson or Golladay or JuJu or Davis (can’t believe you moved on from him, now I’m claiming his as my own 😂), we’ve got the flexibility to look at a few other positions in round 1, especially because I think rounds 2-3 will be a fine place to find a high quality slot man. I love Rondale, Amon-Ra, and Kadarius, plus there’s always Dazz. What a group of names. Anyway. We could hit OT or a high-tier OG to bolster the OL, or we could look at MLB or FS to add even more high-end talent to the defense. I think that’s where I’d lean if we did make the big move for a FA WR.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, e16bball said:

I’m one of the biggest proponents of addressing the WR corps that there is, but even I’m not sure if we need that much of an investment. Don’t get me wrong, it would be thrilling to land Robinson and Waddle and go from bad WR unit to incredible in one offseason. 

But my thought is if we make a big FA outlay to add another legitimately good starting WR, we can afford to go elsewhere, at least with the 1st rounder. If Waddle is there, maybe you just can’t pass, but I don’t really expect him to be. 

To me, if we land someone like Robinson or Golladay or JuJu or Davis (can’t believe you moved on from him, now I’m claiming his as my own 😂), we’ve got the flexibility to look at a few other positions in round 1, especially because I think rounds 2-3 will be a fine place to find a high quality slot man. I love Rondale, Amon-Ra, and Kadarius, plus there’s always Dazz. What a group of names. Anyway. We could hit OT or a high-tier OG to bolster the OL, or we could look at MLB or FS to add even more high-end talent to the defense. I think that’s where I’d lean if we did make the big move for a FA WR.

The team has to get ready to pay McLaurin. I've maintained that it is best to sign a #2 who is a bigger-bodied guy who doesn't break the bank, and draft someone in the slot.  Paying a guy #1 money to fill the #2 role is not being a smart manager of resources/cap.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The team has to get ready to pay McLaurin. I've maintained that it is best to sign a #2 who is a bigger-bodied guy who doesn't break the bank, and draft someone in the slot.  Paying a guy #1 money to fill the #2 role is not being a smart manager of resources/cap.  

Jordan Peele Thank You GIF

My gut feeling?

I believe we will trade our 1st Rd pick #19 for a particular blockbuster player.

I can't put a finger on who or what specific position yet, but I do believe it will be on the offensive side of the ball.

QB, WR, OT, OG

I believe it will be of 1 of these positions.

Just a hunch...

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

They definitely do have to be wary of the McLaurin issue. 

One of my concerns is that when you add a veteran FA, you tend to see some drop-off when moving to a new team with a different roster/scheme and all that. So when you set your sights on a so-called WR2, you often end up getting a guy who produces at a lower level than that. 

I guess the other thing that’s kinda tricky is how you define “WR2.” Chris Godwin was ostensibly the WR2 in TB, but he’ll be one of the most sought-after guys on the market. Guys like Corey Davis, Will Fuller, even JuJu to a large degree were secondary options for much of their careers, but the big money will still be there for them I’d assume. Do any of those guys count as WR2, or are we talking more about the Marvin Jones/Curtis Samuel tier or the Breshad Perriman/Nelson Agholor tier?

My thought is they could afford to go to 4 years for a very good WR with a very significant salary. They’ll have two years of McLaurin on his extremely cheap rookie deal, and then the first year of any long-term extension tends to be very cap-friendly, so we’d have him at a rather low number through year 3. That would take us to the final year of the new receiver’s deal with very little concern, and at that point we could likely rather easily extend/cut that guy if we find ourselves in a cap pinch. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, e16bball said:

They definitely do have to be wary of the McLaurin issue. 

One of my concerns is that when you add a veteran FA, you tend to see some drop-off when moving to a new team with a different roster/scheme and all that. So when you set your sights on a so-called WR2, you often end up getting a guy who produces at a lower level than that. 

I guess the other thing that’s kinda tricky is how you define “WR2.” Chris Godwin was ostensibly the WR2 in TB, but he’ll be one of the most sought-after guys on the market. Guys like Corey Davis, Will Fuller, even JuJu to a large degree were secondary options for much of their careers, but the big money will still be there for them I’d assume. Do any of those guys count as WR2, or are we talking more about the Marvin Jones/Curtis Samuel tier or the Breshad Perriman/Nelson Agholor tier?

My thought is they could afford to go to 4 years for a very good WR with a very significant salary. They’ll have two years of McLaurin on his extremely cheap rookie deal, and then the first year of any long-term extension tends to be very cap-friendly, so we’d have him at a rather low number through year 3. That would take us to the final year of the new receiver’s deal with very little concern, and at that point we could likely rather easily extend/cut that guy if we find ourselves in a cap pinch. 

The McClourin thing is a concern for me as well which is why I’ve been more twards the Samuel type guy. He can contribute in our screen game he is a good player who has time and has somewhat flashed in our system. But Terry is a cornerstone player and presence in the locker room and I see a very team first player so I’m hoping that he knows no matter where we go I hope this staff makes it clear his money time and spot here are all coming and very much a priority

On 1/14/2021 at 11:51 AM, LoganF89 said:

thoughts?

I think you put together a real reasonable plan.  Thoughts...

-I can't get on board with using our first round pick on a WR.  I love that you sign a top free agent, WR.  But I use that first round pick elsewhere.

-I don't think we can get darby that cheap.

-No more one year deals with guys who have potential.  If we think Foster can play, make sure you secure him for a couple years.  Same with Heinicke.  

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

The McClourin thing is a concern for me as well which is why I’ve been more twards the Samuel type guy. He can contribute in our screen game he is a good player who has time and has somewhat flashed in our system. But Terry is a cornerstone player and presence in the locker room and I see a very team first player so I’m hoping that he knows no matter where we go I hope this staff makes it clear his money time and spot here are all coming and very much a priority

I think you can get a Samuel type player in the draft. I couldn’t pay him FA money to be a gadget player when I could draft someone like one of the Moores or Toney in the 2nd to play that role for a fraction of the price. 

Signing Samuel probably takes those players (plus all the other slot options like St. Brown, Newsome, etc) off our board. We’d still need a classic WR2, someone with some size and speed and a pretty well-rounded skillset, including blocking the ability to beat press coverage. To me, that’s tougher to find and tougher to translate quickly. I’d rather pay for that guy as a veteran and use the rookie as my slot/gadget guy who won’t be asked to do nearly as much advanced stuff early on.