New Coaches

mwalker

Who would you like to see?

OC (Fitchner gone)
- M.Canada?
- D.Pederson (if he doesn't get a HC gig)?
- J.Caldwell?
- M.Kafka?
- B.Schottenheimer?
- J.McDaniels?
- D.Bevell?

OL (Sarrett gone)
- D.Marrone?
He'd be my choice other than Munchak coming back (and he won't).

TE (Daniels gone)
- Open to names here...

For us, I like guys with HC experience running the offense. So guys like Pederson, Anthony Lynn, Jay Gruden, and even Bevell are higher on my list. 

Either of the 49ers young guys make a nice up-and-coming type hire. LaFeur or McDaniel. Don't really care. Love me some Shanny offense. the dude PSU just hired to be the OC, Yurcich was a guy I wanted to find a way to make part of the squad last year, but probably wouldnt be double ditching the Lions after they seem to have had a back handed deal to bring him in with an OC currently on staff. 

1 hour ago, mwalker said:

Who would you like to see?

OC (Fitchner gone)
- M.Canada?
- D.Pederson (if he doesn't get a HC gig)?
- J.Caldwell?
- M.Kafka?
- B.Schottenheimer?
- J.McDaniels?
- D.Bevell?

OL (Sarrett gone)
- D.Marrone?
He'd be my choice other than Munchak coming back (and he won't).

TE (Daniels gone)
- Open to names here...

I like the idea for Callahan but with ben here it's all a waste.  Pederson would coach with ben and it would be more severe than when Haley was here. Have to keep ben happy of course

No mcdaniels either

Maybe Bienemy for HC, then move tomlin to DC

Is colbert still considering the Lions?  

14 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

For us, I like guys with HC experience running the offense. So guys like Pederson, Anthony Lynn, Jay Gruden, and even Bevell are higher on my list. 

Either of the 49ers young guys make a nice up-and-coming type hire. LaFeur or McDaniel. Don't really care. Love me some Shanny offense. the dude PSU just hired to be the OC, Yurcich was a guy I wanted to find a way to make part of the squad last year, but probably wouldnt be double ditching the Lions after they seem to have had a back handed deal to bring him in with an OC currently on staff. 

Sounds like LaFeur is going to the Jets with Saleh.

I'm gonna go with Anthony Lynn as the OC, Marc Columbo as the OL coach, and for TE coach I'm going somewhere interesting with this one: Hines Ward.

There's a lot of talk about what Ben supposedly will or won't do. Ben wasn't even the QB in 2019 and the play action passing was barely in the offense, and ineffective when it was (this goes back to Haley). They also barely ran under center with the two headed monster of Rudolph and Hodges. But there are an awful lot of people who want to put that on what Ben supposedly demands. I personally wouldn't want to run the play actions in this offense, though, either, if I were him. They are stale, rarely create space or easy throws, and often times do just give the defense extra time to t-off on him. The designs sucked and as mentioned, have for some time.

I could use this as an opportunity to go on a rant about Tomlin. How we have Claypool telling us that it was Tomlin's desire to go into the game with a "field position" approach for the offense. But there's barely any Tomlin defenders left at this point as I see people basically admitting to themselves what I was arguing several years ago. Well, it's all too late now. The window with Ben, if it aint closed, is just cracked open a peak.

The team needs to go with a younger hire on offense. Someone from outside the organization with no previous relationship with Tomlin. Someone who will introduce more of the new concepts that are being seen throughout most of the offenses in the league, but not in Pittsburgh. I'd go with the "had a cup of coffee with Sean McVay" approach to hiring before I look at another geriatric hire like Caldwell. That isn't building for the future, and it wouldn't be some drastic change to the offense currently run. Nor does it fix the run game.

Edited by CKSteeler

Read an article today about our assistant coaches, could explain a few things. Article (on Bleacher Report) stated that Pittsburgh is 32nd in assistant coaches salaries and also has the least amount of assistant coaches. Also stated that majority of our coaches are older this is why Tomlin has never had an assistant coach actually get poached for another job. 

4 hours ago, 3rivers said:

care to elaborate on what he will or won't do?  He is already calling the shots,  but where is the option of  RETIRING? 

You and others are the ones claiming he refuses to go under center or run play action. Well, Ben was out all of 2019 and neither of those things were present. And the team still had a lopsided run/pass ratio.

4 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

You and others are the ones claiming he refuses to go under center or run play action. Well, Ben was out all of 2019 and neither of those things were present. And the team still had a lopsided run/pass ratio.

OK, them retire him and start fresh 👏

ben and pouncey retire

LT sign Trent Williams 

LG Dotson

C Dickerson

RG DDC

RT Banner/Chuks (who quietly had a solid season )

Callahan as OC and he can get the OL respectable again. On board with this  idea 

Chuks went under the radar, deserves some praise for removing the holding penalties and being a solid RT in his first year starting.