Why do people frown upon Garappolo?

biggie.

Because he's not very good and he can't stay healthy. Is he a liability? No,I think that's probably going too far. Does he hold the team back? Arguably yes. He's very mediocre. You can win with him, just like you can so many others, when everything around him is right, but that margin for error is super thin.

• Like 5

Also, huge thing for me personally? He's just not cost effective. I'm a believer that if you have a shanny as your HC / offensive mind, then you either have a 40 million dollar elite QB, or you have a cheap / rookie QB. There's no in between. Why are the 49ers any better with Jimmy than they are with Gardner Minshew.  Minshew is < 5% the cost, saving over 23 million or whatever, and look at what they have done. Minshew increased his completion percentage nearly 6 points from year one to year 2, was +3 CPOE in 2020 while also throwing half a yard farther down field which tells me he's actually getting better (and over a yard farther than Jimmy does; Jimmy doesn't do much heavy lifting in this offense). His offensive line is slightly worse, his receivers have less drops but average like 2+ yards less after the catch. If you assume that Jimmy would have slight regression and Minshew would get slightly better if they swapped teams (and I think that this is reasonable given the coaching staffs), then I'm just not sure how big the gap is here, but I know it's not worth 20+ million. Minshew likely isn't as accurate as Jimmy, they both struggle throwing the ball downfield, but when involving salary it's a no brainer to me. Niner fans will also tell you that Jimmy has simply stagnated from a growth standpoint. 

1 minute ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

I don’t get it... the Niners are very good running the ball, why is Jimmy G always hurt? It’s not like he’s forced to sling it 50-60 times a game right?

Don't tell 49ers twitter, but he's injury prone. It's just a body thing...nobody really to blame...maybe its just bad luck. But it's happening. 

4 serious injuries that required him to miss time / games in 32 starts. What other starters have that kind of record? 

Just now, Forge said:

Don't tell 49ers twitter, but he's injury prone. It's just a body thing...nobody really to blame...maybe its just bad luck. But it's happening. 

4 serious injuries that required him to miss time / games in 32 starts. What other starters have that kind of record? 

The guy is REALLY unlucky.....it’s almost unheard of for a QB to be hurt this much.... heck there are scrambling QBs who get lit up on a weekly basis who don’t get hurt like he does....

He's a poor man's Kirk Cousins. He's got a few plays where you think he looks competent, but shrinks as the moment gets bigger and isn't really consistent game to game.

You can win with him, but you need good coaching and a good supporting cast.

• Like 1