Why do people frown upon Garappolo?

biggie.

11 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Oof. You just had to start this thread didn't you??? :)

I'll say this, regardless of what side of the fence 49ers fans are on regarding Jimmy G, it would be interesting to see who walks back their opinion and admits they were wrong after it all plays out a certain way. Or who will continue to grasp at straws against a pile of stacked evidence in order to try and save face. Assuming Jimmy is a 49er next season. Got my popcorn ready. 

Wow, I'm sure you described a bunch of forums, but this screamed the WFT forum in so many ways

As @Forge knows, I am a proponent of bringing him back for another year while we groom a 1st round QB to start in 2022 while hopefully Jimmy can re-build some of his value. The problem is that we will have to probably move up for the right rookie QB and I'm not confident that our FO/Staff is willing to do that. I'm only really on board with moving on from Jimmy G if there is an upgrade at the position. He's shown he can take the 49ers deep into the playoffs when healthy (and the rest of the team is healthy) and we've seen what this team looks like without Jimmy. If Stafford becomes available I'd be all about making a move for him to replace Jimmy. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, biggie. said:

He may not be Patrick Mahomes, but SF consistently becones a bottom feeder every time he's been out. Granted the injuries are a concern, but people act him like he's a liability.

I think he has one of the easiest assignments as a Qb in the league, due to what Shanahan does to both his O and the opposition D. yet he still manages to turn the ball over at a good clip. Plus expensive, plus brittle.

Just MO.

It seems like a lot of people hold players up to a standard that most of them are just not capable of reaching.  Not every quarterback is going to be the next Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.  Then we see young guys like Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson come along and that seems to solidify the notion that every starting QB in the league should be that good.  The fact of the matter is that every NFL player is a human being with strengths and weaknesses and they will all have different levels of ability.  While it would be nice if there were enough of the superstars to go around, there just isn't.  They are very rare.

When looking at players like Jimmy G. or players on his level who are merely "very good," it seems as though some people have some derision for what they are lacking compared to the very best.  Another thing that could be at play is that fans of teams with less than superstar QBs (which describes most teams) may have some kind of a need to tear down one QB to build up their own team's QB.  It's probably just human nature. 

41 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

It seems like a lot of people hold players up to a standard that most of them are just not capable of reaching.  Not every quarterback is going to be the next Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.  Then we see young guys like Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson come along and that seems to solidify the notion that every starting QB in the league should be that good.  The fact of the matter is that every NFL player is a human being with strengths and weaknesses and they will all have different levels of ability.  While it would be nice if there were enough of the superstars to go around, there just isn't.  They are very rare.

When looking at players like Jimmy G. or players on his level who are merely "very good," it seems as though some people have some derision for what they are lacking compared to the very best.  Another thing that could be at play is that fans of teams with less than superstar QBs (which describes most teams) may have some kind of a need to tear down one QB to build up their own team's QB.  It's probably just human nature. 

He has like a 130 million dollar contract. And like 80 or 90 million guaranteed. No, not everyone is a Hall of Fame QB but with that kind of cheddar, bet your *** you are expected to throw flames.

• Like 1

Just now, Calamity_Cometh said:

He has like a 130 million dollar contract. And like 80 or 90 million guaranteed. No, not everyone is a Hall of Fame QB but with that kind of cheddar, bet your *** you are expected to throw flames.

You are so right.  People expect the same thing with Kirk Cousins in Minnesota.  The problem is that the overall rarity of the truly great QB's creates a situation where Jimmy and Kirk are just good enough to get paid big, roster-handicapping money, even though they have limitations in their game.

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

You are so right.  People expect the same thing with Kirk Cousins in Minnesota.  The problem is that the overall rarity of the truly great QB's creates a situation where Jimmy and Kirk are just good enough to get paid big, roster-handicapping money, even though they have limitations in their game.

I have seen a LOT of Kirk being in Minnesota and if he is the comparison to Jimmy G, you absolutely cannot have that much money tied up in a QB if your mantra is to run and play defense. Because to run and play defense, you need a high caliber offensive line, defensive line, and at least a modest investment in your back seven.

Kirk in his last year in Washington was a fantastic play option QB. I thought that he would explode in Minny because of it. But he didn't, and now they are bleeding talent slowly and the Niners will do the same, I fear.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Forge said:

Don't tell 49ers twitter, but he's injury prone. It's just a body thing...nobody really to blame...maybe its just bad luck. But it's happening. 

4 serious injuries that required him to miss time / games in 32 starts. What other starters have that kind of record? 

Yep. Right now, not many. Sam Bradford, Carson Wentz, Alex Smith come to mind as recent brittle bones guys early on in their careers. 

And like them, Jimmy G was given an opportunity based on potential that never really came together. It happens. And there's nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade. He's injury prone and won't likely become a better QB at this stage. He'll likely spend a few years enticing someone with flashes of great play, but a franchise QB he just is not.

On 1/14/2021 at 6:21 PM, biggie. said:

He may not be Patrick Mahomes, but SF consistently becones a bottom feeder every time he's been out. Granted the injuries are a concern, but people act him like he's a liability.

He is a damn liability.  

What the hell were you watching during the playoffs last year?  

San Francisco slipped through the cracks to get into the Super Bowl without Garoppolo even having to throw a pass.  

They ran the ball the whole time, and didn't want to take the risk with him.  

He threw 4 consecutive INTs before the 2019 season even started, and he's injury prone due to having no idea how to protect himself in the pocket.  

Probably the most overhyped QB in decades.  

9 hours ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

I have seen a LOT of Kirk being in Minnesota and if he is the comparison to Jimmy G, you absolutely cannot have that much money tied up in a QB if your mantra is to run and play defense. Because to run and play defense, you need a high caliber offensive line, defensive line, and at least a modest investment in your back seven.

Kirk in his last year in Washington was a fantastic play option QB. I thought that he would explode in Minny because of it. But he didn't, and now they are bleeding talent slowly and the Niners will do the same, I fear.

Kirk Cousins 2020

Passing yards: 4265

Completion%: 67.6

TD/INT: 35/13

Rushing TD: 1

YPG: 266.6

Sacks%: 7.0

Fumbles: 9

DYAR ranking: 9th

DVOA ranking: 10th

PFF ranking: 9th

Sidebar, but I don't think Kirk's production seems that bad. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 5:49 PM, Forge said:

Don't tell 49ers twitter, but he's injury prone. It's just a body thing...nobody really to blame...maybe its just bad luck. But it's happening. 

Some players know how to take a hit/fall/etc and put their body in the least possibility of injury. Some dont.

On 1/14/2021 at 5:49 PM, Forge said:

4 serious injuries that required him to miss time / games in 32 starts. What other starters have that kind of record? 

Sean Lee... Sad face

On 1/14/2021 at 5:52 PM, NYRamsFan88 said:

The guy is REALLY unlucky.....it’s almost unheard of for a QB to be hurt this much.... heck there are scrambling QBs who get lit up on a weekly basis who don’t get hurt like he does....

Injury unlucky. Ugh where have I heard that before @EaglesPeteC, @Danger

On 1/15/2021 at 12:06 AM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Depends on the person. Jimmy could have a huge year and you'll still hear "well it was about time" or "he still rode the defense" etc. If he has a bad year you could hear "the offensive line still failed him" or "everyone was injured" etc.

I dont see the disconnect between these two sentences. Most every player will be elevated or brought down by those around them. The only difference is the degree of change and what they bring to the table individually. 

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I dont see the disconnect between these two sentences. Most every player will be elevated or brought down by those around them. The only difference is the degree of change and what they bring to the table individually. 

Right. But I'm sayin there will always be certain people out there who will refuse to give credit when Jimmy does well, or refuse to blame when Jimmy plays poorly. Just so they save face on the internet, and aren't wrong via their previous predictions they made. Online or offline, that is how half of the world works sadly.