Jets hire HC Robert Saleh

Bianconero

1 minute ago, Bianconero said:

We will see but I think that the Darnold talk is BS - no one knows what Joe is doing, including Schefter

It is in the air. But I am thinking the FO is leaning toward keeping Sam and loading up on helping him. Trading back perhaps and acquiring more valuable picks all while still getting a star player in the top 5 or so. 

18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It is in the air. But I am thinking the FO is leaning toward keeping Sam and loading up on helping him. Trading back perhaps and acquiring more valuable picks all while still getting a star player in the top 5 or so. 

I'm thinking that the front office will play this hand that way... and lead everyone to think that...   until they get a 3rd round offer for Sam and then, just like that, he'll be gone.  Don't want to saddle our new HC and OC with a QB who at best might be able to reach mediocrity from the bowels of the NFL where he is now.  Anyone expecting Sam to rise from the bottom to the top is really reaching.  I don't want to wait another year just to see if he can ascend from league worst to a JAG.  Waste of all our time.  That's a year we will never get back as fans.  I understand the logic (and cap economics) of keeping him for 2021, but if you are like me and believe Sam Darnold is unfixable, then you want him traded for whatever.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

We will see but I think that the Darnold talk is BS - no one knows what Joe is doing, including Schefter

Lol... I love that bs.    Douglas actually liked Darnold when coming out but that was 3 years ago.  Darnold's fate is falling onto Saleh's hands.

1 minute ago, dcat said:

I'm thinking that the front office will play this hand that way... and lead everyone to think that...   until they get a 3rd round offer for Sam and then, just like that, he'll be gone.  Don't want to saddle our new HC and OC with a QB who at best might be able to reach mediocrity from the bowels of the NFL where he is now.  Anyone expecting Sam to rise from the bottom to the top is really reaching.  I don't want to wait another year just to see if he can ascend from league worst to a JAG.  Waste of all our time.  That's a year we will never get back as fans.  I understand the logic (and cap economics) of keeping him for 2021, but if you are like me and believe Sam Darnold is unfixable, then you want him traded for whatever.

I'm in the thought that I'm ok with keeping him or trading him. But 2 things have to be done regardless. And that's to start building up this offense around the QB. Continue to build the OL and get difference makers as weapons.

We have never seen Darnold with legit weapons. Mims (we all know I love) but is quite frankly getting too much praise for his rookie year. I think in a better system he could have been more once he was healthy. But to anoint him as a great outside WR is too far for me. I had this same feeling about Herndon after his rookie year. Some were anointing him to a top 10 TE. And look how his career went the next 2 years. The RB position needs a haul (Perine and Ty are backups) as well.

So the fact is that using that 2nd pick for trade bait and acquire more valuable picks, all while still getting a star on offense in the top 5ish. Would be huge for us. Imagine sticking with Darnold and being able to trade back and still get Smith. Acquiring an extra 2nd and 3rd and still being able to use the 23rd, 34th, another pick in the top 40 and to have maybe 3 3rds on mostly helping the offense. That could transform us and Darnold.

1 hour ago, Bianconero said:

I don't think so. If Sam is the guy you should come right out and say he is the guy. This will put everything at rest. I thuk JD is committed to Sam and now that Saleh is on board too I think he is the Jets QB. Adam Schef is right a lot of the time and what he reports is very close to 100% accurate. He is the most tied in guy for the NFL. Like it or not there is 95% chance Sam is under center week 1.  i for one am fine with this. I don't want a QB at 2. I don't think Fields or Wilson is worth that. 

The hiring of Saleh tells me that the lines of communication between N.Y.J. and the 49ers have been elevated to another level.

The Jets now having a pipeline to the 49ers and Saleh's desire to bring a west coast offense to N.Y. could mean Darnolds days in N.Y. have come to an end.

Before the hiring of Saleh most of the sports writers and beat writers speculating on where Darnold could be traded to thought that the 49ers would be a good place to kick start his career.

To be honest many here believed that to be one of a few that would benefit Darnold.

Especially in light of the fact that a mobile, fast qb with a  quick release would be the ideal qb to run that type of offense.

Darnold is not mobile, or has a quick release, but Fields or Wilson could fit that bill.

If I'm wrong I don't expect the Jets to sit on the second pick of the draft but trade down, but we will know prior to the draft if the Jets keep move Darnold that they have decided on either Fields or Wilson.

12 minutes ago, Big T said:

The hiring of Saleh tells me that the lines of communication between N.Y.J. and the 49ers have been elevated to another level.

The Jets now having a pipeline to the 49ers and Saleh's desire to bring a west coast offense to N.Y. could mean Darnolds days in N.Y. have come to an end.

Before the hiring of Saleh most of the sports writers and beat writers speculating on where Darnold could be traded to thought that the 49ers would be a good place to kick start his career.

To be honest many here believed that to be one of a few that would benefit Darnold.

Especially in light of the fact that a mobile, fast qb with a  quick release would be the ideal qb to run that type of offense.

Darnold is not mobile, or has a quick release, but Fields or Wilson could fit that bill.

If I'm wrong I don't expect the Jets to sit on the second pick of the draft but trade down, but we will know prior to the draft if the Jets keep move Darnold that they have decided on either Fields or Wilson.

I think Wilson would fit perfectly he runs similar offense already to shanahan's. 

13 minutes ago, Big T said:

They would be trying to implement an offense similar to the 49ers... So if Sam was a potential fit as an upgrade over Garapolo in San Francisco, it seems like that he would also be an ideal fit, tools wise here in NY.

Also, you say Sam is not mobile? Some of his best plays are when he is on the move, whether is was his 40+ yard td run this year or all of the times he was flushed from the pocket do to poor oline play.

3 minutes ago, Big T said:

Darnold will be the starting QB come week 1. Adam Schaf has even reported that he would be "SHOCKED" if Sam was not the starting QB.