Rams sign Alec Ogletree to 4 year extension

RamRod

If they put a big stud run stuffing LB next to him, I think this will end up being great.  Ogletree is a fantastic player with a lot of talent.  Wade Phillips will continue to build this defense and put players into their sweet spots.  I agree that Ogletree isn't necessarily earning this contract so far this season via his play, but I think Ogletree will prove to be worthy of this contract as time goes on.

1 hour ago, RamPackFan said:

Why is every one so sour on this? He's a great player and has only improved in Wades scheme since Game 1. He's always around the play and a very good pass rusher. I'm very optimistic with this move....especially if we can snag one of those USC boys in the next draft to help solidify that LB core. 

Because we have plenty more players (ie Aaron Donald) who need contracts and Ogletree has been flat out bad. You can say what you want about him, but I've seen him get juked out on routes and miss tackles way too much to warrant being the 2nd highest paid LB in the league.

I think the thing that frustrates me the most is that after he misses a tackle or the defender makes him miss, he literally just stops playing. I've seen it three times off the top of my head that I can remember.

OMG WHY ??? After 5 games they can't see that Ogletree is bad at 3-4 ILB ?! Making him one of the highest paid LB i'm sick. 

The number of tackle he missed and the fact he can't get away from the block are the reason i don't like this extension. 

I don't like it. I have never been a big fan of Tree. I feel like for every good play he makes, I see him make a bad one. Inconsistent? Undisciplined? Dumb? I dont know the reason. But I have always been less than impressed. Maybe its because I spent years watching really really good MLB play so I am jaded. I dont know.

All that said, I have all kinds of faith in our staff. They see more than I do. They know more than I do. They know what theyre trying to build. They have a far more nuanced opinion on Tree and how he fits in the scheme than I do. So I am not going to lose sleep over the signing. I feel like we realllllly overpaid. But I look forward to the staff (and Tree) proving me wrong.

This seemed like the best spot to put it in - and I suppose we can, as we near the midpoint of the NCAA season - start discussing prospects we're high on (that's a thread I'll get on in the coming weeks), but I was circling back and watching some DVR'd Iowa games and damn it if Josey Jewell isn't the kind of ILB that has to have Wade salivating.  Instincts and mentality out the wazoo and more than "enough" athleticism to play all facets of what we ask of our ILB's.  Don't know how much Big XII you watch on the regular, @jrry32, but I'm certainly developing a crush.

3 hours ago, The LBC said:

This seemed like the best spot to put it in - and I suppose we can, as we near the midpoint of the NCAA season - start discussing prospects we're high on (that's a thread I'll get on in the coming weeks), but I was circling back and watching some DVR'd Iowa games and damn it if Josey Jewell isn't the kind of ILB that has to have Wade salivating.  Instincts and mentality out the wazoo and more than "enough" athleticism to play all facets of what we ask of our ILB's.  Don't know how much Big XII you watch on the regular, @jrry32, but I'm certainly developing a crush.

I am honestly not paying much attention to the draft because we're actually doing well for once. Jewell was a big name last year before he returned to school, but I haven't done much research on him besides seeing him make plays while I was watching film on Desmond King.

Archived