3-4?

pwny

With the hiring of Urban Meyer, does this spell the end of the 4-3 defense in Jacksonville?

YtGO6uI.jpg 

If we make the move, where do you see our players fitting in a 3-4, and which positions do we need to hit hard to address?

The one qualm would be for Myles Jack. I think a 4-3 WLB is his best spot and he just had an all pro level year there. 

I also think Davon Hamilton in a 1T on a 4-3 fits him very well. But I'm less worried about a switch for him.

For Allen and especially Chaisson though this is the most ideal move.

16 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

The one qualm would be for Myles Jack. I think a 4-3 WLB is his best spot and he just had an all pro level year there. 

Outside of the players we’d need to bring in (probably 2 starting DL at the least), this too is my biggest concern.

There’s some 3-4 schemes that might make him fit better; he’s not a JACK or MIKE LB, but he might still be able to be the inside WLB in some 3-4 schemes. Still, he’d likely be the guy in the front 7 that gets pulled in nickel packages and at that contract, its really not worth it if he’s pulled for 40% of snaps. 

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I also think Davon Hamilton in a 1T on a 4-3 fits him very well. But I'm less worried about a switch for him.

For Allen and especially Chaisson though this is the most ideal move.

I don't actually think that's a big problem for Jack in a 3-4.  I think he's the guy who stays on the field in passing downs, and he has that experience playing Mike anyway.  He's worn the dot, it makes sense.

Just need the proper thumper beside him.  Is Poz still available?

2 hours ago, pwny said:

Outside of the players we’d need to bring in (probably 2 starting DL at the least), this too is my biggest concern.

There’s some 3-4 schemes that might make him fit better; he’s not a JACK or MIKE LB, but he might still be able to be the inside WLB in some 3-4 schemes. Still, he’d likely be the guy in the front 7 that gets pulled in nickel packages and at that contract, its really not worth it if he’s pulled for 40% of snaps. 

I actually feel like a 3-4 might end up a better fit for him.  His big "ability" is his ranginess.  He's got good size, speed, and ability to chase down plays.  Worst case, he plays as a sorta hybrid safety which would probably suit him even better.  

Does depend on the sort of alignment though.  

But i've been ready to jettison Jack for a while now.  He's never been good.  Telvin and Poz carried him to a good result in a cake role.  That was his only good season.  Fire him completely, and i don't care.

Considering this defense might be our worst in franchise history I'm fine with it especially since our most recent 1st round picks on the front 7 fit it in Allen/Chaisson. 

I would think Meyer would know how to use Jack properly without keeping him off the field so much. He played so well this year going back to his natural position and costs too much to sit. Also our big guys for the most part are terrible so switching to a 3-4 for them shouldn't change much. 

3 hours ago, Chops013 said:

Hasn’t Urban traditionally been a 43 guy?

I mean, although he is a CEO/looks at it from an overhead view, I think he'd probably let whatever the new DC he brings in do what he needs to do as long as he jives with Meyers vision/puts the personnel in the best spot.

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

But i've been ready to jettison Jack for a while now.  He's never been good.  Telvin and Poz carried him to a good result in a cake role.  That was his only good season.  Fire him completely, and i don't care.

I know you didn’t pay much attention to this year, but they moved him to WILL this year and basically everyone believes he had an elite season and was borderline All Pro. 

5 hours ago, Chops013 said:

Hasn’t Urban traditionally been a 43 guy?

Give it a watch. He said he came in every year and wanted to switch to a 3-4 but because they had guys like Bosa and other elite talents, those types of guys want to play End in a 4-3.

He then goes on to say that if you don’t have $30M DE and Corners on your team, that the 3-4 offers the best means towards generating a consistent means to disrupt the offense, and spells out the way to do that.

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I was the first to hate on Jack going into this season, but after the year he just had...........

Does it really matter in today's NFL? Just about everyone runs off of a nickel or dime package these days. It's incredibly rare for defenses to have two gapping DL, which was really distinguishing factor in traditional 3-4 defenses. Chaisson and Allen both have the ability to play with their hand off the dirt...so sure call it a 3-4 if you'd like...but I doubt it would be much different than a 4-3.