Falcons hired Arthur Smith as Head Coach

ACO

I don't get the calls for this hire being a sign to move on from Matt Ryan or Julio Jones. If anything I think it points towards Ricardo Allen and Allen Bailey getting cut for some cap along with offensive linemen Jake Matthews and James Carpenter. That at least gets them in the positive and then a potential prospect for 4th overall is Penei Sewell, then RB and guard in the 2nd and 3rd/4th.

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

I don't get the calls for this hire being a sign to move on from Matt Ryan or Julio Jones. If anything I think it points towards Ricardo Allen and Allen Bailey getting cut for some cap along with offensive linemen Jake Matthews and James Carpenter. That at least gets them in the positive and then a potential prospect for 4th overall is Penei Sewell, then RB and guard in the 2nd and 3rd/4th.

They aren't cutting Jake MAtthews. He's been excellent and worth the money. If anything, they'll restructure Matt and Julio to make the cap space work out before they'd even think about Cutting Jake. More likely is they cut Dante Fowler.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

For the Rams, establishing the run to some degree tends to factor heavily into our offense's effectiveness. I don't disagree with analysts that running into a brick wall to say you're running the ball is a bad strategy, but the numbers guys sometimes miss some of the more nuanced aspects of the game.

Yeah I think the analytics conversation around the running game sometimes becomes a little too simplistic. It's true that you can win a Super Bowl without being able to run the ball, but you can't win a Super Bowl without being able to pass the ball at least somewhat efficiently. And running the ball just for the sake of running the ball is certainly a losing strategy. But none of that means that having a strong running game can't itself be the base and foundation of a great offense. Apropos this thread, Arthur Smith and the Titans are a great example, and a lot of Tannehill's success can also be traced back IMO to what the running game does to tee him up. San Francisco nearly won a Super Bowl last year leaning on a hyper efficient running game. This weekend out of the 8 teams left, three of them (Ravens, Browns, Rams) center their offenses primarily around their running games. 

Question for Smith will be whether he can build a strong running scheme without Henry. And for that matter it's an open question whether that will even be his focal point, or whether he just did that because he recognized Henry was his best weapon in TEN, and will build Atlanta in a completely different way given the available personnel. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, scar988 said:

They aren't cutting Jake MAtthews. He's been excellent and worth the money. If anything, they'll restructure Matt and Julio to make the cap space work out before they'd even think about Cutting Jake. More likely is they cut Dante Fowler.

What do they do with the 4th pick? Is it out of the realm to grab a Qb to sit behind Ryan? I assume this would be the best chance of getting a top rated prospect at qb then in the future if he is expected to turn the offense around this year or is it best to go after guys like OT Sewell or LB Parsons to build off what they already have?

Just now, soflbillsfan said:

What do they do with the 4th pick? Is it out of the realm to grab a Qb to sit behind Ryan? I assume this would be the best chance of getting a top rated prospect at qb then in the future if he is expected to turn the offense around this year or is it best to go after guys like OT Sewell or LB Parsons to build off what they already have?

Or just don't worry about QB this year. Get guys like Sewell or Parsons or TRADE DOWN. Get more picks. Get picks in the 1st and 2nd round next year to go with additional 2nd and 3rd rounders this year. Really build the team's depth.

28 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Yeah I think the analytics conversation around the running game sometimes becomes a little too simplistic. It's true that you can win a Super Bowl without being able to run the ball, but you can't win a Super Bowl without being able to pass the ball at least somewhat efficiently. And running the ball just for the sake of running the ball is certainly a losing strategy. But none of that means that having a strong running game can't itself be the base and foundation of a great offense. Apropos this thread, Arthur Smith and the Titans are a great example, and a lot of Tannehill's success can also be traced back IMO to what the running game does to tee him up. San Francisco nearly won a Super Bowl last year leaning on a hyper efficient running game. This weekend out of the 8 teams left, three of them (Ravens, Browns, Rams) center their offenses primarily around their running games. 

Question for Smith will be whether he can build a strong running scheme without Henry. And for that matter it's an open question whether that will even be his focal point, or whether he just did that because he recognized Henry was his best weapon in TEN, and will build Atlanta in a completely different way given the available personnel. 

what i really don't understand about the way this conversation often goes is that mcvay, shanahan, and smith all come from the same school of zone run based offenses with a heavy play action component, and they've been responsible for some of the best offenses the league has seen over the past several years. mcvay and shanahan are literally the reason people are hiring guys like art smith and the league is crazy for offensive coaches; their offenses are seen as the ideal modern NFL offense. and they're run based! yet people still want to toss the run game out. it's silliness.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I know everyone here loves him. For someone that doesn't know anything about him, what are the Falcons getting? 

A return to the offensive style of Kyle Shanahan for a team that needs it. A guy who's busted his butt through the ranks and has a real shot of being a good head coach because he's a leader, a communicator and someone who will work with the GM.

4 minutes ago, scar988 said:

A return to the offensive style of Kyle Shanahan for a team that needs it. A guy who's busted his butt through the ranks and has a real shot of being a good head coach because he's a leader, a communicator and someone who will work with the GM.

His personality from checking out interviews/hearing him talk has definitely not screamed HC to me. But we'll see.

Happy he's out of TEN regardless.

All this talk about ensuring the Falcons grab Najee Harris to replicate what Smith had in Tennessee... if Smith and the new GM can't cooperate to create an offense tailored around the strengths of the players they do have, rather than acquiring players to fit the desired system, Atlanta is in for a bad time.

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

All this talk about ensuring the Falcons grab Najee Harris to replicate what Smith had in Tennessee... if Smith and the new GM can't cooperate to create an offense tailored around the strengths of the players they do have, rather than acquiring players to fit the desired system, Atlanta is in for a bad time.

The Falcons need a rB anyway. Ito Smith is the only RB of consequence under contract. It's a blank slate there. Getting him a back that fits what he wants to do with his backs makes a ton of sense anyway.

8 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

honestly, tennessee needs to make sure they don't sell themselves short during the OC search because we should be the top destination for any OC candidates. weapons all across the offense and our last two OCs are now head coaches. 

I think Buffalo will give you a run for youR money for the top OC candidates