Urban's Coaching Staff - News & Notes

.Buzz

15 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I wonder if Linehan is still in the mix for a job on staff.

This is what I was alluding to earlier I didn’t mind Linehan helping in shaping the playbook with Urban and Bevell but I didn’t want him calling plays.. experience is key. But too me it shouldn’t be reason to hinder someone because they haven’t done it before.. sometimes a new fresh set of eyes is what’s needed. You can surround yourself with experience without giving them full run of the land like calling the offensive plays.

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Bye Keenan...

He helped develop Cole Gallop in Dallas and I guess could be credited with helping get Amari more consistent. He was the coach when Jeremy Kerley looked like he was going to break out. And he got the one good year out of DHB.

But he’s been a WR coach for 11 seasons and I’m not sure there’s a single receiver you could point to him developing into a consistent player.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pwny said:

He helped develop Cole Gallop in Dallas and I guess could be credited with helping get Amari more consistent. He was the coach when Jeremy Kerley looked like he was going to break out. And he got the one good year out of DHB.

But he’s been a WR coach for 11 seasons and I’m not sure there’s a single receiver you could point to him developing into a consistent player.

Sammy Watkins?

1 minute ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Sammy Watkins?

I suppose you could count him. But he had 982 yards and 6 TDs as a rookie (top 30 most receiving yards by a rookie in NFL history), the season before Lal joined the team. So I’m a bit leery of giving him a good amount of credit with the continued rise of a player who was one of the better rookie receivers ever. 

Just now, pwny said:

I suppose you could count him. But he had 982 yards and 6 TDs as a rookie (top 30 most receiving yards by a rookie in NFL history), the season before Lal joined the team. So I’m a bit leery of giving him a good amount of credit with the continued rise of a player who was one of the better rookie receivers ever. 

True. I wish Keenan stayed but I figured not many coaches from the old regime would be around. 

Apparently Watkins was a fan of Lal:

“That’s the one guy I don’t want to leave. If he leaves, I don’t how my mindset would be, honestly. That’s a guy that kind of groomed me into running routes and doing everything the right way. Mentality, both mental and physical. If he leaves, that will hurt. Because that’s the guy that kind of helped this whole group form a mentality and shape us into professionals. He gave us the whole script, off the field, on the field. I think it’s helping this wide receiver group and helping the players. If he leaves, that will hurt.”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

True. I wish Keenan stayed but I figured not many coaches from the old regime would be around. 

Apparently Watkins was a fan of Lal:

“That’s the one guy I don’t want to leave. If he leaves, I don’t how my mindset would be, honestly. That’s a guy that kind of groomed me into running routes and doing everything the right way. Mentality, both mental and physical. If he leaves, that will hurt. Because that’s the guy that kind of helped this whole group form a mentality and shape us into professionals. He gave us the whole script, off the field, on the field. I think it’s helping this wide receiver group and helping the players. If he leaves, that will hurt.”

That quote makes me think he’s a really big culture guy. 

6 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Bye Keenan...

Kind of a bummer.  But not altogether surprising i guess, that Keenan would be out with the all around housecleaning going on.  New coaches and management are obviously going to want to bring in their owns guys that they know they can work with and will be pulling in the same direction as a group.

But Keenan was definitely one of the guys i would've been happy to see stick around.  He's seemed like a good WRs coach, and when it comes to position coaches like that...i question how much it really matters, as long as they're good at what they do.  But it is what it is i guess.  Can't just pick and choose the few pieces that are okay to keep around.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, .Buzz said:

"Inside LB job in Baltimore."

👀

Feel like that essentially just means "off ball LBers" job.  Wouldn't really read Jaguars to 3-4 into that or anything.  Just that in Baltimore, the rush LBers are lumped in with DLine, and the ILBs happen to have a separate coach because they have a very different role, equivalent to "LBers coach" in a 4-3.

Still do think a base 3-4 alignment is the more likely bet here though, regardless of that little nugget.