I've Switched Teams. Is That "Kosher?"

Uncle Buck

6 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I only took the time to write it to answer some questions for those who are interested.  If you don't want to read it, I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Lol I'm just kidding big guy. In all honesty I'm not gonna read your whole explanation because I don't think the particulars really matters. It's obviously a little strange to switch fandom and on a board like this where we've all gotten pretty used to each over the years other it may feel especially strange, but life's too short and if rooting for the Jaguars makes you happier then honestly who really cares, just do it. No one's gonna consider you the most legit Jags fan in the world, whatever that may entail, and you're obviously not the most loyal Vikings guy in the world, but again... if it makes your Sundays better, then you're coming out a winner. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 3

It is of course up to you what you do but I have to question how much, if anything, a Jags Super Bowl win would really mean to you? It might be fun for you to be on the winning side for once, but ultimately it would probably feel pretty hollow if all you did was simply switch teams to have a better chance at winning. Hence, I'd never switch teams. I know you claimed that it's purely coincidental timing that the Jags happen to be going through a total rebuild with extremely talented players coming in, but really that's the reason you chose them. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

It is of course up to you what you do but I have to question how much, if anything, a Jags Super Bowl win would really mean to you? It might be fun for you to be on the winning side for once, but ultimately it would probably feel pretty hollow if all you did was simply switch teams to have a better chance at winning. Hence, I'd never switch teams. I know you claimed that it's purely coincidental timing that the Jags happen to be going through a total rebuild with extremely talented players coming in, but really that's the reason you chose them. 

I can understand what you're saying.  It wouldn't be as exciting if the Jags win one in the next 5 years as it would have been if the Vikings won one in the last 5.  Winning a Super Bowl isn't the be all and end all for me.  I just got tired of always being on the short end of things.  If the Jags continue to be lousy for the next 10 years, so be it.  I'll still be cheering for them. 

You are right that I didn't just throw a dart at a board and choose the Jags.  It was actually a number of reasons that all seemed to come together so I decided it was a good time to jump into their boat. 

• Like 1

Just now, Titansfan_13 said:

Who cares if it's "kosher?" As long as you'll be happy doing it, that's all that matters.

I don't think that I could ever switch, but I'm only about 20 years into my frustration 😂

And I would wager you wouldn't have ever thought you could switch 30 years ago either. 

You're right.  30 years ago I had no intention of changing teams.  The reason for making the thread was mainly to let people know that I had changed teams, so I didn't keep hijacking other threads talking about it.  I also thought it might be something interesting for people to discuss because there may be fans of other teams who are in a situation where they have lost their passion for the game.  That's where I've gotten with the Minnesota Timberwolves.  They have been so bad for so long that I have quit caring about the NBA.  One nice thing I've found in changing to the Jaguars is that my interest in the NFL has really been given a boost with the change of scenery.  It wouldn't be surprising if there were others out there who are stuck cheering for teams that haven't given their fans much of a reason to be interested anymore. 

If there is anyone out there whose interest in the game is leaving you, try getting interested in another team.  A fresh situation might make the sport a lot more fun.  It has for me so far.

• Like 2

Ultimately... do you. Who cares what others say, it's your passion.

As someone who is probably done with his primary team, I'm probably going to go a different route and stop watching football as a fan of a specific team. I'm always going to be a football fan, so I'll derive enjoyment from any team - be it the Cowboys, Saints, Titans, Jaguars - whoever, I love football and will watch and dive into it from all angles.

But, as far as finding another team to devote? I can't. What I had with the McNair's franchise was sacred - I can't replicate that anywhere, I can't fake that passion somewhere else.

If you can replace teams in your fandom, good for you - I actually envy you. I simply couldn't do it, but that doesn't mean it's not good.

• Like 9

Do what makes you happy. If you were in a terrible relationship that wasn’t leaving you happy, people wouldn’t call you a terrible person for leaving that. But for some reason it’s an issue when it’s a sports team.

As a general rule, I just think it’s important to respect the team and fan base that’s been there through all of the ups and downs. When I moved to Chicago, I picked up watching the Blackhawks (I had passively paid attention to the Red Wings prior, but never really got into hockey) and the success they had at the time and the title they won was treated wholly different by me than the success and title that the Cubs won, as I had been a fan of them for my whole life.

As a lifelong Jaguars fan, I can tell you that the suffering we’ve gone through for the last 20 years far exceeds that of a team that makes the playoffs every other year and plays competitive football most every week. 

• Like 1