I've Switched Teams. Is That "Kosher?"

Uncle Buck

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Ultimately... do you. Who cares what others say, it's your passion.

As someone who is probably done with his primary team, I'm probably going to go a different route and stop watching football as a fan of a specific team. I'm always going to be a football fan, so I'll derive enjoyment from any team - be it the Cowboys, Saints, Titans, Jaguars - whoever, I love football and will watch and dive into it from all angles.

But, as far as finding another team to devote? I can't. What I had with the McNair's franchise was sacred - I can't replicate that anywhere, I can't fake that passion somewhere else.

If you can replace teams in your fandom, good for you - I actually envy you. I simply couldn't do it, but that doesn't mean it's not good.

I can understand that.  That's the point I got to after that 2017 loss.  I wasn't even all that disappointed because the Eagles were just the better team.   I was just at the point where I was numb after that one and seeing my dad's disappointment.  About all I can say is that as you get older, your perspective on a lot of things in life changes.  Maybe give it some time and you will find yourself drawn with another fan base and start feeling it for a particular team down the line.  I'm really sorry to hear how it has gotten for you with the Texans because it was so totally unnecessary.  Just incompetence on the part of a few key people.  :(

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

Do what makes you happy. If you were in a terrible relationship that wasn’t leaving you happy, people wouldn’t call you a terrible person for leaving that. But for some reason it’s an issue when it’s a sports team.

As a general rule, I just think it’s important to respect the team and fan base that’s been there through all of the ups and downs. When I moved to Chicago, I picked up watching the Blackhawks (I had passively paid attention to the Red Wings prior, but never really got into hockey) and the success they had at the time and the title they won was treated wholly different by me than the success and title that the Cubs won, as I had been a fan of them for my whole life.

As a lifelong Jaguars fan, I can tell you that the suffering we’ve gone through for the last 20 years far exceeds that of a team that makes the playoffs every other year and plays competitive football most every week. 

That World Series for the Cubs must have been incredible!

I don't think she lives in Florida so.

kate-beckinsale-46-year-old.gif

Assuming by moving in retirement you move to Florida, it would make sense to make such a transition to make some quick friends in the area.  Then again it is a team with almost no history outside of Fred Taylor, Mark Brunell, Tony Boseli, Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell.  It is freaking football though, you want to follow a different team you follow a different team, it is not that big of a deal.  Urban Meyer and Trevor Lawrence is a good start for them as an organization.  James Robinson looks to be a good RB for them for a long time as a UDFA, Chaisson and Allen are two athletic edge players to build around not to mention Jack as well.  They got some pieces.  They should take a note from the Bills and get another speedy receiver and go four wide and let Lawrence create with his legs if things break down, but not sure Urban would do that and will be really interesting if he takes Justin Fields a player he loves as a QB and a competitor, will see how much he loves the guy come draft day.

Follow teams and being a fan of just one team is fine but I find it more interesting to follow players and their progression in their career.  Or follow philosophies and principles or coaches and their style of play.  I love watching great defensive teams but those now a days are few and far between so that kind of sucks.  

Some NFL teams have long history and tradition where the player believes they are a member of that team and tradition forever.  But then again I bet a lot of pros get more loyalty from their college programs than the NFL team they played for which most likely will be 2-5 different teams in their career or more.  So the lack of NFL team loyalty in pro sports is a big downer but college has become that as well with the transfer rules.  So no one is loyal to anything now a days it seems ;o)

• Like 1

Heres the hard lesson Ive learned with being a Washington fan.

To a good 80% of the owners. This is a business to make money on first. Very few are actually fighting to win.  The GM/Coaches/Players might try. But to owners its just a business.

Look at whats happened with Washington lately.  Urban was hanging around last year. Had a couple talks. No follow up and hes looking at the Jags while the team recycled a coach and gave him control of everything. Money in Dans pocket for that one.  Then the draft Haskins was taken. Every one on the staff fought to not draft him. But Haskins was a buddy of his sons or something and Dan demanded him be taken. Then theres Bruce Allen. Who should have been fired after 3-4 seasons. He got 10 in being president of the team. Why? Cause he was Dans drinking/putt-putt buddy. And the same money rolls in if the team is winning or losing. If the stadium is filled with our fans or opposing teams. Cause its not a game, its not a sport. Its nothing more than a business like any other. With sole goal of making the owner money. So unless you have an owner like a Kraft or Hunt. Then little should be expected unless the team magically lands on a prospect the GM/Coach can build around. And because of such. I feel you owe them no loyalty whatsoever. Because you might be a McDonalds fan. But you owe them no loyalty in eating there only. Its okay to enjoy Dairy Queen milk shakes more.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Frowned upon but ultimately one less Vikings fan is good for the world so this is an exception 😉

Why would it be frowned upon? It's not something I could do personally but it's his choice, not mine or yours. 

It's not like he's switching teams with no valid reason or jumping on the bandwagon of a winning team just for the sake of jumping. 

@Uncle Buck You don't need anyone's validation to make a decision that you feel strongly about. 

Almost every fan knows how frustrating it is to root for a team for so long and dedicate so much of your time, effort, and money into an organization just to watch it all being thrown down the drain year after, year after, after year. It's stressful.  

The only thing that surprises me though is that you didn't become a Bears fan. You've been coming into our forum for years, your very respectful (and respected), and you root for us all the time.  Not that I don't blame you lol. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Why would it be frowned upon? It's not something I could do personally but it's his choice, not mine or yours. 

It's not like he's switching teams with no valid reason or jumping on the bandwagon of a winning team just for the sake of jumping. 

@Uncle Buck You don't need anyone's validation to make a decision that you feel strongly about. 

Almost every fan knows how frustrating it is to root for a team for so long and dedicate so much of your time, effort, and money into an organization just to watch it all being thrown down the drain year after, year after, after year. It's stressful.  

The only thing that surprises me though is that you didn't become a Bears fan. You've been coming into our forum for years, your very respectful (and respected), and you root for us all the time.  Not that I don't blame you lol. 

Thanks buddy.  I probably didn't word the title to this thread very well.  I'm too old to worry about other people's approval.  I was mainly trying to bring in as many people as possible so they know where I'm at and for other people who might be losing their love for the game completely.  I figure some of them might need a jump start in excitement and interest.

As far as the Bears are concerned, believe me, you were on a very short list.  Ultimately, I decided that the Bears were kind of a lateral move since it's the same decision and Chicago is in the midwest.  I was hoping to find a team where I could watch their games on TV after I retire and move down south.  At this point, the Bears are undoubtedly my favorite NFC team, so I'll always be interested and cheering for you guys to do well.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Heres the hard lesson Ive learned with being a Washington fan.

To a good 80% of the owners. This is a business to make money on first. Very few are actually fighting to win.  The GM/Coaches/Players might try. But to owners its just a business.

Look at whats happened with Washington lately.  Urban was hanging around last year. Had a couple talks. No follow up and hes looking at the Jags while the team recycled a coach and gave him control of everything. Money in Dans pocket for that one.  Then the draft Haskins was taken. Every one on the staff fought to not draft him. But Haskins was a buddy of his sons or something and Dan demanded him be taken. Then theres Bruce Allen. Who should have been fired after 3-4 seasons. He got 10 in being president of the team. Why? Cause he was Dans drinking/putt-putt buddy. And the same money rolls in if the team is winning or losing. If the stadium is filled with our fans or opposing teams. Cause its not a game, its not a sport. Its nothing more than a business like any other. With sole goal of making the owner money. So unless you have an owner like a Kraft or Hunt. Then little should be expected unless the team magically lands on a prospect the GM/Coach can build around. And because of such. I feel you owe them no loyalty whatsoever. Because you might be a McDonalds fan. But you owe them no loyalty in eating there only. Its okay to enjoy Dairy Queen milk shakes more.

Yeah, you 'Skins fans are a perfect example of what I was talking about.  Other than tradition and location, why give your loyalty to an organization that has done so little to earn it?  At least I will give the Wilfs credit for trying in Minnesota.

23 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Do whatever makes you feel happy buddy! I could never change teams (unfortunately) but if you're not emotionally tied to the Vikes then so be it. Duval it up.

I hope Gruden gets you guys to the promised land.  That would be awesome!

• Like 1

I think the best part about flipping to the Jags is it isn’t quite a fair weather fan decision despite their future looking better. You didn’t just become a chiefs fan or something. So who cares

Vikes are still your NFC team id imagine anyway. 

• Like 2