I've Switched Teams. Is That "Kosher?"

Uncle Buck

9 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Yeah, you 'Skins fans are a perfect example of what I was talking about.  Other than tradition and location, why give your loyalty to an organization that has done so little to earn it?  At least I will give the Wilfs credit for trying in Minnesota.

Washington had 30+ million in cap space. Dan had the choice of bringing in guys to help win or pocketing it. With no penalty. That choice was pretty easy for him.

Its becoming not even a sport to me anymore. Look at sport leagues elsewhere. Over Europe for example. Premier League profit sharing is on a scale to where you placed. And not only that. But you finish bottom 3 youre relegated to a lesser league which usually cost teams between 100-120 million revenue the next season. Helping force teams to put out a product of competitiveness. I wish we had that just to force my team to build for quality. Cause right now its all on what Ron can do with what Dan allows.

But I cant do like you. When Im done with Washington. Im done with the entire league. Thanks to the likes of Dan. I just cant buy into it being any type of competitive sport anymore. Its just a business to print money for owners. Nothing more. Im only hanging by a thread due to the great Washington fans around me and on here.

I enjoy rooting for the Titans for the most part. 
I do wish I could find that same enjoyment/passion out of rooting for another team. I wish I could duplicate that with another sport too. Because after NFL season I have nothing to look forward too.

I don't think it's wrong to find another team, especially if you are moving. 

Like others have said, I envy the ability to do so. I couldn't do it. (at least at this point I couldn't see myself doing it.) 

• Like 1

In my opinion, a lot of it depends on why you chose to root for the Vikings in the first place? Are you a local to the Greater Minneapolis area? If you are, then yeah turning your back on your team is kinda bad IMO, but if you've liked them for other reasons then rooting for another team is fine.

A big part of being a fan is watching your team play on TV. If you are retiring to where the Jaguars are the team that is shown on the channels, that makes a lot of sense. Doesn't mean you aren't still also a Vikings fan or a fan of the Vikings history and whatnot. I am a Raiders fan, but when they went to Vegas I am far less of a fan than I was a few years ago and it's really sad when they aren't on the local channel but are playing occasionally. I'll always love the Oakland Raiders, but the LV Raiders are like the LA Raiders -- it's cool and I like them... just not -my- team. I mostly just watch for individual players at this point regardless of match up and don't really care who wins or loses (with the exception of the Raiders, still love them just it's a dinged position like they are my favorite but not a part of the community at this point). Like I don't hate the Chiefs during this era, whereas I dreaded (but obviously respected) the Broncos during the Elway and Manning years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

As to whether or not you made the right choice can really only be answered by you...If your current loyalty felt burdensome, and in the moment you are now feeling peace....You made the right choice...

By the way, some of my earliest memories are of the Packers playing the Vikings and me getting frustrated watching Tarkenton scramble all over the field...It's amazing I didn't suffer a coronary at the age of twelve....

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Oh man.  You really know how to hurt a guy! 

Kate Beckinsale is not Born in the USA, but who cares she is freaking 47 years old and looks like that!  That is longevity, that is something one can be loyal to, her hotness, even though Avril has her beat in the face, Kate has the bod so is a hard call.  John Candy is a pimp by the way, very underrated comedian.  

I can imagine my input as a foreign fan isn't as valuable as that of your direct peers, however I'd still like to give you my ten cents.

You do you man. The only reason I'd think it's a bit sad is the great history and stories you have with the Vikings. If I was a kid and you told me about watching some all time Vikings great and your adventures getting there with a snow scooter that would be awe inspiring to me, probably. I'd say as long as you're willing to share those stories and experiences with young Viking fans you're perfectly in the clear and don't owe anyone or any organization anything.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

First of all, I apologize for the book-like length of this post.  My reason for writing it is because a lot of you have noticed that I've been galavanting around the site sporting Jacksonville Jaguars regalia so I figured I should probably create a thread to explain my motivations and discuss it all here, rather than hijacking threads all over the rest of the site.  I thought it might also be a good topic of discussion for other people to think about.

It all started when I found a hat just like my old one that is lined with 100% imitation jaguar fur.  It's very warm, fits my head perfectly, and feels great to wear.  It still has a tendency to make a lot of people very angry like the old one did, though.  I'm not sure why.  As you can see in the picture below, I do still have the same car I've been driving for years.  I will NEVER sell that cream puff!  :D

8mdKxZ1.jpg

Anyway, as a lot of you know, I was a long-time fan of the Minnesota Vikings.  I actually celebrated my 50th anniversary of fandom with them this past year.  Being one of the "ancients" on the site (as Vike Daddy refers to us) I can actually remember watching the 1969 Vikings playing in Super Bowl IV against Hank Stram and his Kansas City Chiefs!

A lot of water has passed under the bridge since that day.  As football fans, we all travel a journey with our chosen team.  Some roads are more enjoyable than others, but they are all rewarding in their own way or we wouldn't be on this site. 

As a fan of the Vikings, the road I've traveled with my fellow Vikings fans has had a lot of hills and a lot of valleys.  That's all well and good, but what started to wear on me over the years is that those hills never reached the mountain top.  They have been a franchise since 1961 and they STILL haven't figured out how to put it all together even one time during that period.  To give credit where credit is due, the Vikings are actually one of the most successful teams in the league when it comes to wins/losses and playoff appearances.  Their fans have a LOT to be proud of.  They have a lot of players in the Hall of Fame, and have teams that a lot of us will remember for a long time for being very competitive and fun to watch. One interesting team stat is that they recently broke the record as the team with the most playoff losses in the Super Bowl era with 30.  While that sounds like a bad statistic, it also means that at least they have been IN the playoffs 30 times in the last 60 years.  That's darn good.

I know there are fans of teams who haven't even made the playoffs in years who will say "what are you complaining about, Buck?  Look at my team!"  It's hard to argue with them, and I can certainly understand their pain.   At the same time, my journey as a Vikings fan has just provided a different kind of pain, with admittedly, a lot more fun days along the way than others may have had. 

It's hard to explain, but after that playoff loss in 2017, it finally just got to the point where cheering for the Vikings became more of a chore than something that I always used to enjoy.  I began to resent spending FIFTY YEARS putting my energy and emotion into a team that was never anything more than a team that other organizations beat on their way to a Super Bowl win. 

If they had won even a single championship, I would be fine with that and would keep soldiering on for the next one.  As it is though, it has almost become like a weight that I have to carry around.  I'm tired of it.  Tired of trying to argue with other Minnesota sports fans who constantly say "they will never win one."  I'm tired of arguing with fans of other franchises who haven't had near as many good players and teams as the Vikings have had over the years, but who just happened to win one. 

Another sobering thought is the experience of my dad.  He has been a fan of the team since their inception back in 1961.  He used to get dressed up in a snowmobile suit and head out to games at Metropolitan Stadium in subzero weather with a hot thermos of coffee to keep warm while watching the Purple People Eaters.  It has also been our long-time custom to get together and watch the Vikings every Sunday on TV.  That has provided me with memories I will always cherish.  The sad part of that is that it has become apparent that, barring some kind of miracle, his 60 years of loyalty will never be rewarded with the thrill of seeing his team win a Super Bowl.  Seeing his disappointment after the playoff loss in 2017 really started to make me resent the organization.

To try and shorten up what has become far too long of a post already, I will let it suffice to say that my feelings for the Vikings have faded in a way that is not unlike a married couple who has been married for a long time and the love has just left the relationship.  I was just going through the motions because it's what I always did.  It was time for a change of scenery.

It was something I thought about for almost two years.  Since I plan on retiring down to the one of the southeast states, I figured I would try to identify one of those teams and make them my new sports interest.  As it turned out, the timing was such that the Jaguars were doing what I have been wanting the Vikings do - namely, going through a total rebuild.  They shipped out a lot of older, high-priced players, and started over with a young group.  They went through a brutal 1-15 season, but now, at least they have potential.  They will go into next season with a franchise QB, a new head coach and GM, and a huge number of new players.  It was a good time to start with them since they were at the bottom.  Maybe it will pay off for them, or maybe it will all fizzle out and they will be back at square one.  I'm OK with that.  At least it will be a change of scenery that doesn't require me to carry around 50 years of baggage.

Here is my justification for going to another team.  People may say "you aren't a very loyal fan if you desert your team."  To that, I can only say that I feel like I gave that franchise FIFTY years.   In a league where there are only 32 teams (and for many years there were fewer than that) have the Vikings really earned my loyalty moving forward if they can't win a single Super Bowl during that time?  

What do you think?  Am I justified in changing teams, or am I a lousy fan who has no real loyalty? 

I read all of that. It was a pretty amazing read. Thanks!

epic howie mandel GIF by America's Got Talent

• Like 1

But seriously I feel like I’m in the same boat sometimes as a Charger fan. Even though I’ve only been a fan for 25 years. I think it helps that we have had promising QBs after the Leaf debacle. Between Leaf and Brees were definitely the dark times. Though having success and falling short of the ring brings a different but equal amount of suffering.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

Do you. I take zero issue with your changing of allegiances.

That said, I cannot identify with it AT ALL. I wish I could. I wish I could just decide not to care. Maybe one day I'll be able to, or it'll fade naturally (and maybe it is a tad). I'd love to just be a fan of the sport rather than a specific team. But for now I'm a stupid fan of the stupid Packers and I can't do anything about it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAF-N72EX said:

That's the most logical thing I have ever heard a Packers fan say. 

I mean they are and I hate them. And I'd say the same thing about any and every team in the league if I was a fan of them too, with the exception of New England (but I'd be close on turning on them too), and the Chiefs (but believe me a couple false moves and I'd toss them in the fire too).