I've Switched Teams. Is That "Kosher?"

Uncle Buck

1 hour ago, sledgehammer said:

What if I decided which team I support after the super bowl every year, so I can participate in the celebrations and parades on an annual basis? Would that be kosher? 

Agreed, which is clearly what he's doing with the switch to the 1-15 team.

Turrible.

• Like 1

You know, I never weighed in on this.  

You can cheer for whatever team you want.  And it is odd to change loyalties, it is a personal decision.  Changing teams is better IMO than having two favorite teams.  And nobody likes the bandwagon jumper.  But jumping to a team that is not successful in the past or present really isn't that big of a deal to me.  It would be a different thing if you were full Patriots Tom Brady and then jump to the Chiefs because they look like the next big power.

Plus who cheers for the Vikings anyway? 😁

• Like 1

What!? I read the beginning of your post and honestly, as a Vikes fan I was a little depressed. You've been a fan of them for so much longer and to have that hope for so long, yikes! I'm still in the SKOL camp and will be but man, I hope that something happens with the Vikings because I don't know if I could go as long as you. I already get emotionally exhausted watching their games. It's a toxic relationship I cannot leave :)   That said, total respect with the time you spent deciding this and also completely understandable!! I hope that if the Vikes ever do win anything (LoL) - you'll at least be happy for them! (also enjoy retirement in sunny FL --- these winters are getting more and more brutal)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Agreed, which is clearly what he's doing with the switch to the 1-15 team.

Turrible.

I wasn't suggesting he is! 

I'm just musing out loud. 

I already stated that I think it's fine doing what he's doing. 

Now I'm thinking about fandom in general ... and wondering if perhaps the idea of sticking it out with a team is for suckers. If you can support the Super Bowl team every year, why not do it? 

It's a philosophical question. 

its kosher man, it's just a little out of the ordinary. Even the idea that you have to go for the hometown team is weird, why is it more valid that your city imposes your fandom than what you choose? of course its awesome to have memories of season tickets growing up but not everyone is in that situation.

think about it, why do we even choose our teams? im from mexico, packer fan because i started watching the nfl in the 90s and it was a good team.  A bunch of my friends are packer fans because of me, does it make them less of a fan because of that? how is that different from your family rooting for X team, so you follow suit? 
its just a thing to enjoy and share moments.

Edited by ifeelasleep
  • Like 2

I was a Rams fan before they left Los Angeles. Then I moved to San Diego and loved the Chargers. I had to move back to Los Angeles and eventually they followed me but it’s not the same. They aren’t my San Diego Chargers anymore. I try to like them and root for them but it just doesn’t feel like it used to. 🤷‍♂️ Now I just enjoy a game for what it is. A single game. I don’t really have anyone I root for. It’s weird. 

• Like 1

It's certainly odd, and quite frankly I'm not convinced it's really possible to SWITCH teams as much as it is to simply stop getting so emotionally invested in that league... like I'd be surprised if you ever reach the emotional highs or lows you did rooting for the Vikes with the Jags, and perhaps that is the goal. With that being said, you don't owe anyone anything and can do whatever you want. Switching to the Jaguars, one of the sorriest franchises in NFL history, will certainly never really have anyone calling into question your character. 

I have never considered switching teams, but I've certainly battled with toning down my fandom as the stress that being an Eagles fan causes me far outweighs the joy these days, and this has developed pretty independent of the Eagles results on the field. This started before the SB, around 2014, and I will say, the pure ecstasy I experienced after finally seeing the Eagles hoist the Lombardi will be with me forever, and the motivation for staying so invested is to chase that feeling again. 

• Like 1

Buck, this is pretty simple. It’s cool to do whatever you want. It’s all a farce though. If you “switch teams” and the Vikings win it all next year......... how will you feel? Mad that your “old team” won it all right after you left???? NOPE. You’ll be ecstatic and probably cry that the day finally came, just like any other grown man does!!!! This was a fun, entertaining experience but there is no switching fandom. The heart wants what the heart wants.   GO BILLS 

Edited by BillSabre
  • Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 3:07 AM, Matts4313 said:

@Mastercheddaar did the same thing. He left the Browns for the Eagles after the superbowl win. Now the Birds are trash and the Browns are awesome. 

Ya, but you are one of those super homers living in lala land.

(its a joke)

When Cleveland moved to Baltimore back in the mid 90's, I became an Eagles fan. When Cleveland rebooted the Browns, Philly became my 2nd fav. I watched both teams. Philly now just has preference if they are both televised at the same time.  People like to pretend I'm Judas because I didn't want to watch garbage, Hue Jackson coached, football anymore. Also (I was wrong, he was great draft pick 🙂) I didn't like Baker Mayfield at the time because of the flag planting incident at the shoe. 

That is all

MC