I've Switched Teams. Is That "Kosher?"

Uncle Buck

I made the switch from being a Vikings fan to being a Saints fan about 20 years ago and have no regrets. In general it seems if the Saints are out of the playoffs and the Vikings are still in it, I've still found myself hoping the Vikings would finally win one as so many of my family and friends in Minnesota have yet to have that championship experience.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 10:41 PM, K9 said:

What!? I read the beginning of your post and honestly, as a Vikes fan I was a little depressed. You've been a fan of them for so much longer and to have that hope for so long, yikes! I'm still in the SKOL camp and will be but man, I hope that something happens with the Vikings because I don't know if I could go as long as you. I already get emotionally exhausted watching their games. It's a toxic relationship I cannot leave :)   That said, total respect with the time you spent deciding this and also completely understandable!! I hope that if the Vikes ever do win anything (LoL) - you'll at least be happy for them! (also enjoy retirement in sunny FL --- these winters are getting more and more brutal)

Thanks brother.  I think the Vikings will eventually get there.  They are bound to, because they put a lot of good teams out on the field.  It just got to the point for me where it wasn't fun any more so I made the switch.  When they do finally get that Super Bowl win, I'll definitely be happy for all of you who so richly deserve it.  This guy from the movie Rudy really sums up perfectly where I'll be at emotionally when it happens.  I'll be really happy to see your long, hard path finally reach the end of the rainbow and you all get your pot of gold! 
giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

I made the switch from being a Vikings fan to being a Saints fan about 20 years ago and have no regrets. In general it seems if the Saints are out of the playoffs and the Vikings are still in it, I've still found myself hoping the Vikings would finally win one as so many of my family and friends in Minnesota have yet to have that championship experience.

That's kind of a nice situation to be in.  Usually if the Saints are out of the playoffs, the Vikings are in, and vice-versa. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 3:07 PM, RJ_11 said:

Just my opinion obviously, but I find it super strange when people do this. I adore the Bears, they're part of my identity, if they went 0-16 each year for the remainder of their history I'd never give up on them. If they don't win a Superbowl in my lifetime then so be it, that's just luck of the draw (and bad decisions by ownership at the minute) , not ever gonna jump ship for the chance of piggy backing on another team's Superbowl. Even thinking about supporting a different team is something that just feels dirty and alien. 

I don't think any less of a person who chooses to do it. But I think it's seriously weird. 

I honestly was waiting for an answer like this, I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. My heart is with the Jets no matter the circumstances. Fandom should come about organically, I could never just "pick a new team" and become a die-hard fan. Ownership would have to do something to cross my moral boundaries and have it be so unforgivable that I couldn't root for the Jets again. I can't even fathom a scenario where that happens, relocation is probably the only thing. 

At least he's not gonna be a front runner though. I know a guy who started his fandom by picking the worst team in the league at the time and sticking with them until they won the Super Bowl, at which point he restarts with the then-worst team in the league. Low and behold he went from being a Pats fan to a Texans fan... lol

Edited by jetjuice
  • Like 2

Chiefs fan because I'm born and bred in Wichita. They're my local team. When they were winning 4 games a season, I didn't think of changing. I'd only change if they Fd off to a different city like the Rams did for example. 

But I aint judging you Buck. It's your life. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

HA! Good one! Who's your favorite team again? Oh yeah The Dallas "we were good in the 90's" Cowboys. BTW no one from the NFC East has any bragging rights after the 2020 season. 

Go Birds

MC

Weve been good many times since the 90's, we just havent had a ton of post season success. Thats not really the point. The Eagles are about to be bottom feeders for at least one and probably many more years. The irony of the situation is funny. 

34 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Weve been good many times since the 90's, we just havent had a ton of post season success. Thats not really the point. The Eagles are about to be bottom feeders for at least one and probably many more years. The irony of the situation is funny. 

Tell me the Cowgirl's record last season? Oh yeah it was well below 500. All Philly has to do is get healthy, meanwhile in Dallas... you guys are still full of flaws. 

womp-womp-debbie-downer.gif

Go Birds

MC

PS quit Hijacking this poor guy's thread with your garbage quality trash talk. 

Edited by Mastercheddaar

5 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Tell me the Cowgirl's record last season? Oh yeah it was well below 500. All Philly has to do is get healthy, meanwhile in Dallas... you guys are still full of flaws

You mean, get healthy. And find a coaching staff. And figure out if you have a QB on your roster. And shed another $60m+ in cap space. And figure out how to draft better.

4 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Yikes, what got you on board the Saints 20 years ago? Haslett's first season? 

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Yikes, what got you on board the Saints 20 years ago? Haslett's first season? 

Started really following them in 2001. They had some fun players on offense at the time with Ricky Williams and Deuce McAllister at RB. Joe Horn was a fun one to watch at WR, and I was sadly at the time really intrigued by Aaron Brooks at QB. He showed some flashes but never really developed. Then in 2002 my favorite prospect in the draft that year was Donte Stallworth and they took him 1st round, and at that point, I figured it was just meant to be. Also always thought the whole New Orleans city culture was fun, so that also played a role.

• Like 1

Man I LOVE sports in general, I love football with a passion, it's my favorite team sport to watch (combat sports is what I was raised on playing/doing from the youngest age). I played baseball through college. I only played football through high-school but I've always far preferred to watch a football game to a baseball or basketball game. And above all of that I love the Raiders. Some of my fondest memories as a child is watching Raider games with my grandpa both in person and on television. I love the Raiders so much I named my middle child and youngest son Gannon (tried with my oldest son but was over ruled lol). I haven't missed a Raider game in as long as I can remember. People on the Raider forum will tell you I've been on this website (former username on the old site LivingLegendWFC) for a decade plus now... 

And with ALL of that said, there has been countless Sundays after yet another embarrassing play/decision, an embarrassing loss where we got beat down from start to finish, or a total collapse in game we should have won. Season after season of being perhaps the worst team in all of football. Being the butt of jokes about the draft year after year. To finally being decent in 2016 only for that to be fools gold. I try my best to be an optimistic person because by nature I'm usually more pessimistic. And the one area I always seem to be a glass half full kind of guy is in sports. I have defended Gruden and Mayock mainly on the one basis of for the first time in 20+ years I feel like our GM and coach have a vision, a plan they are following, and since 2002 I have seen rebuild after rebuild, and I use that term loosely, fail IMO in large part because there has been no plan or vision so every move was just a grab bag of raw athletically gifted players we reached on, aging vets who's best days were clearly behind them, overpaying guys that made a big impact but weren't that guy anymore, or just moves that were a joke from the start (Javon Walker contract). So while I can be critical of our staff now I have defended them because I do see a plan, a plan that offensively has been pretty dang successful, the defensive plan is far more murky. 

I say all that to say, I get it man. I myself have started trying to care a little less, I don't love the Raiders any less, but me and my girlfriend have worked on not letting it take so much from me. I can't tell you how many Sundays were essentially ruined for me because we got blown out, or we had a game in our hands and choked it away, or like the past 2 years started very strong over the first 9-10 games and peed the bed down the stretch to miss the playoffs. I would be legitimately sad, or angry at the team, and then the rest of the night I'm in that funk. I know it's because I am such a competitive person by nature, I hate to lose more than I love to win. But my girl has tried to get me to understand I can care as much as I want, I can love the Raiders with all my heart, I can be as competitive as possible, but I have ZERO control over anything happening. I don't get to help build the roster with the moves I post on here about, I'm not out there on the field making plays, she's always said, it's a zero sum game... If they win, I'm not getting the credit. The most I get is what? Bragging rights and a sense of self satisfaction. If they lose I don't get any of the blame either, but yet I would let it bother me so much because I was so invested. 

So to conclude my long reply to the long initial OP, I can't personally become a fan of another team, I've never actually tried, but I just know I couldn't be the same type of fan I am of the Raiders, but I do totally get where you're coming from. Caring a lot only to always be let down sucks. It can be exhausting. So where you have decided to root for a different team, I now just don't care quite as much. Instead of suffering through every play of a blowout loss, I'll turn the game off and go do something with my woman or the kids. Instead of forcing myself to convince myself this year is the year or this move was the right decision, I just say it is what it is. Recent history says it probably won't pay off, but either way, in the grand scheme, it doesn't matter as much as I have let it. So part of me hates it that I feel like a less passionate fan for the Raiders, but I can't say my overall quality of life hasn't improved. Sometimes for yourself you have to walk away, or in my case just care a little less. And only you know when you have gotten to that point. If you want to be a Jaguar fan, if that is a change you feel you need personally for whatever the reason is (and I have seen the reasons you personally have mentioned) than more power to you. It should be something that is fun, and the Jags have a lot of things to be excited about right now. If that has reinvigorated your love for the sport or even just made your real life a little better than it's already worth it. I myself become so invested in anything I am passionate about and I have an addictive personality, so sometimes to actually make my mood and stuff better I have to take steps to try and care less. I still love my Raiders, I pull for them every Sunday, and that I don't think will ever change. But I have worked hard at not letting them ruin my Sundays, or put me in a bad mood. The passion for your team is supposed to be fun, and exciting. It's not supposed to make your life worse. And if it is I advise everyone to take a step back and try to care a little less, or in your case if you need to find a different team without all the heart break, so be it. So people can watch a losing franchise every game and they can brush it off, I am just not built that way. Being ultra competitive can be a gift when you can actually control things, but when you can't, it can be a curse. And if that's the type of personality people have it can effect your real life. And as much as I love football, in the grand scheme it's not important enough to do that to me anymore. 

I do kind of envy the people who can't at least understand a little bit the rational behind your decision. In a lot of cases it probably means they have seen a pretty successful franchise. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ET80 said:

You're both pretty, now stop this stupid measuring contest.

Otherwise I'll have to do as Rodney Dangerfield used to say:

"I'll take you to the men's room and have it out with you.  I'll show you what a small man you really are!"   xD

(Just kidding, guys.)