2021 NFL Draft thread (pick 1.4)

Glen

Saw @swoosh say he’s hoping we trade down depending on how the board falls.

Personally I’m undecided as of yet. Haven’t scouted much but there are certain areas id definitely like to address. Offensive line being a big one.

Figure this can be the dedicated thread to lead up to the draft.

BPA this whole draft, avoiding only WR (on day 1 and 2). I'll avoid the QB discussion for now as that's for a different day. 

RB, OL, DL, and DB all need help. LB to a lesser degree with Jones and Foye, but also depends on if Smith goes with a 4-3 or 3-4. 

S depends on what happens with Neal (FA), Kazee (FA), and Rico. I expect them to let Kazee walk and possibly cut Rico. Maybe offer a Neal a low guaranteed contract, but some team might overpay. Love him, but with his injury history he should only be brought back if the price is right, especially considering the cap situation. He did get better as the year went on, so that's encouraging. 

If they stay at 4, Sewell is #1 on my board if he's there. Generational talent at OT. If he's gone and the team decide to avoid a QB, the move has to be trade down, IMO. Slide to let's say 12 with SF. Grab an extra 2nd and a future 1st. Take BPA at 12, maybe you get a CB like Surtain or Farley there. Or even someone like Barmore. I think he's going to be a big time riser. BPA though. 

So in the first you probably end up with either OL, DL, or CB. LB only if it's Parsons. 

Edited by swoosh
  • Like 1

Sewell is my easy top choice this draft as well.

I don’t think he makes it past Miami personally though.

Agreed on all fronts though. BPA, no need to get fancy with it. Avoid WR and just scout for the best talent possible.

• 3 months later...

I am finalizing my predictions

My Mike Davis prediction happened. He was my #1 need of FA and we got him. I was happy about it. 

Here's my final mock:

These things are rarely right after the 2nd round but this is what I got: 

4. Lance or Fields are my pick for 4th overall. I am a Lance lean but considering my last prediction. I do think it's 50/50 compared to a complete lean for Lance previously. 

jtTbZzq.png

My last prediction is: After this draft, I am 30% certain Matt Ryan will not play another snap for the Falcons. He will be traded on June 1st or around it. The trade value is only this big right now. He will be traded for a 2022 1st rounder and a future 2nd rounder. 

I am considering these guys as backups to the rookie: Robert Griffin III, Josh McCown, Brian Hoyer, Matt Barkley, and Blake Bortles as backups. Also considering trading for Minshew

Edited by 1stpick

On 4/22/2021 at 2:48 AM, 1stpick said:

My last prediction is: After this draft, I am 30% certain Matt Ryan will not play another snap for the Falcons. He will be traded on June 1st or around it. The trade value is only this big right now. He will be traded for a 2022 1st rounder and a future 2nd rounder. 

Um, hate to break it to you, bro. But Matt Ryan will not be traded this offseason. He's stuck with the Falcons at least through the 2021 season cap wise.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 2:48 AM, 1stpick said:

I am finalizing my predictions

My Mike Davis prediction happened. He was my #1 need of FA and we got him. I was happy about it. 

Here's my final mock:

These things are rarely right after the 2nd round but this is what I got: 

4. Lance or Fields are my pick for 4th overall. I am a Lance lean but considering my last prediction. I do think it's 50/50 compared to a complete lean for Lance previously. 

jtTbZzq.png

I am considering these guys as backups to the rookie: Robert Griffin III, Josh McCown, Brian Hoyer, Matt Barkley, and Blake Bortles as backups. Also considering trading for Minshew

1. thats not very certain. 

2. Im 100% certain barring injury he will be the starter game 1 this year,

3. Who exactly is rushing the passer in this scenario?

Just now, GSUeagles14 said:

1. thats not very certain. 

2. Im 100% certain barring injury he will be the starter game 1 this year,

3. Who exactly is rushing the passer in this scenario?

To be fair to him, the pass rush is gonna have to be manufactured for the 2021 season. Lots of blitzes and stunts and schematic stuff. Thankfully, that's the defense Pees runs. 

However, in 2022, the pass rushing class is phenomenal. IF they can wind up with a high pick in 2022 through trade and/or misfortune, they could very easily have a badass pass rusher from that draft.

Disclaimer: this isn't about anyone on here. 

I see so many posts, not just on this forum, that are essentially "if they pick (player), they're dumb". Get a grip on reality. It's such an ignorant stance. How can you even come to that conclusion from your living room when you have no idea of their vision, the other picks they'll make, and the other moves they'll make (or won't make). 

Let's see what Fontenot, Smith, and crew can do with one draft class before you start questioning them. And waiting one draft doesn't mean the moment this draft is over and some smuck in the media gives their draft grades on Saturday night. How good (or bad) a draft was won't be known for quite some time. I'm a firm believer they can't go wrong at 4. Stay put or trade back. QB or no QB. Pitts or Sewell. I'm along for the ride. 

As far as what I think they'll do, Pitts would be my guess. But if someone comes calling late with a big package, they'll move back. If Mac Jones goes 3, I don't think any team will offer the Falcons what they want, but if SF goes with Lance (or Fields), all bets are off. 

Edited by swoosh
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, swoosh said:

Disclaimer: this isn't about anyone on here. 

I see so many posts, not just on this forum, that are essentially "if they pick (player), they're dumb". Get a grip on reality. It's such an ignorant stance. How can you even come to that conclusion from your living room when you have no idea of their vision, the other picks they'll make, and the other moves they'll make (or won't make). 

Let's see what Fontenot, Smith, and crew can do with one draft class before you start questioning them. And waiting one draft doesn't mean the moment this draft is over and some smuck in the media gives their draft grades on Saturday night. How good (or bad) a draft was won't be known for quite some time. I'm a firm believer they can't go wrong at 4. Stay put or trade back. QB or no QB. Pitts or Sewell. I'm along for the ride. 

As far as what I think they'll do, Pitts would be my guess. But if someone comes calling late with a big package, they'll move back. If Mac Jones goes 3, I don't think any team will offer the Falcons what they want, but if SF goes with Lance (or Fields), all bets are off. 

I couldnt say this better myself, well done sir. People get so enamored with one to two players, if we dont draft those guys its a disaster in there eyes. Fans know pretty much next to nothing. You dont have time to watch all the tape, you dont interview the player, you dont have the access to their college coaches and it goes on and on. Teams know more, period. Now teams can do stupid things, and if they draft Davis Mills at 4 thats obviously stupid. But those scenarios are few and far between, and I promise everyone that the people in charge (mainly smith and fontenot) spent a lot of time developing a very thought out plan.

• Like 1