Lattimore Revisited:

whodatworm23

Lately I've been thinking of ways Loomis will try to manage the cap this offseason and cut down the ridiculas 95 million the Saints are projected to be over. When you began to break down the roster you eventually realize that something will have to be done with both Ryan Ramczyk and Marshon Lattimore's current contracts. Ramczyk in my opinion is a shoe in for an extention and I believe he and the Saints will come to terms on one with little to no haggle. Lattimore on the other hand might eventually end up being an entirely different story.

Despite being somewhat inconsistant, Lattimore is still a stellar NFL cover man in a league that cant get enough of them. A former top 15 pick with an elite skill set in the prime of his career will not come cheap. For comparisons, the Bills Tre'Davious White (also a 2017 1st round pick) recently got a 4 year 69 million dollar extention from Buffalo with 36 million in gaurentees. Id expect Lattimore who beat out White in 2017 for defensive rookie of the year to want to top this deal.

Comparing the two's production since they entered the NFL reveals that the two aren't much different as players as far as production goes, however Lattimore is the far better athlete.

Since 2017...

Lattimore

Games played: 57

INTs: 10

Pass defended: 55

Forced fumbles: 5

Fumbles recovered: 4

Sacks: 0

Solo tackles: 190

Tackles for loss: 5

White

Games played: 61

INT's: 15

Passes defended: 54

Forced fumbles: 4

Fumbles recovered: 4

Sacks: 2.5

Solo tackles: 189

Tackles for loss: 10

As you can see... White has been just slightly more productive and available during his time in the NFL but thier production thus far is almost identical. Its also worth bringing up that White was drafted to a team with a defensive minded head coach and that Lattimore is still the superior athlete as well as 2 years younger than the former LSU star.

So what does all this mean...

Fact is that both White and Lattiimore are viewed in league circles as two of the best young players at their positions right now in the NFL. The Bills annd Saints both as organizations saw themselves excel on defense after thier arrival in 2017. Buffalo has already commited lonng term to White and now its time for New Orleans to make their decision on Lattimore.

The question isn't if the Saints want to keep Lattimore, of course they do. The question will be of they are willing to keep him at his asking price which will likley be much higher than a very comparable player to him in White. Lattimore's cost only goes further up as the Saints advance in the playoffs and if he has a big game against Mike Evans and Tom Brady this week and potentially Aaron Rodgers in the NFC title game we could aee him asked to become the games highest paid corner.

How highly do the Saints value him, especially with thier current cap delima?

Maybe the Jacksonville Jaguars annd their new head man Urban Myer could accommodate the Saints and Lattimore. Myer recruited Lattimore and coached him at Ohio State, the Jaguars have an extra late 1st rounder and boat load of cash to spend. Could a deal be made for the star corner this offseason? The Saints have shown in the past that they are not afraid to make moves with young players via trade that they don't view worthy of thier asking price (see Brandin Cooks).

It will be intresting to see. I think this offseason will have many twist annd turns for Saints fans as Loomis trys to navigate through some rough waters ahead.

Happy sailin!

WHODAT

If we were to put Lattimore on the trading block, what would his value be? Obviously a 1st, but what else?

As you mentioned, the Jags are loaded with draft picks - 12 I think - and a brand new Head Coach in Urban Meyer who has recruiting film on so many recruits, it's not even funny. So I could easily see him making a play on a key veteran figure to help lead his "new" team to a high level. With the Jags cap space, and their draft picks, if they're not in serious contention for a championship within 3 years, Meyer will be the laughing stock of the NFL, and then he'll go pull a Nick Saban somewhere.

We saw the Saints lose several seasons while being unable to bring in marquee guys, and being cap strapped because of keeping Brees at a high salary. I'm not sure we'll be willing (or able) to do that again, but I guess that's what the geniuses in the front office get paid for.

Lattimore is so good, he's frustrating. He's either getting burned or locking down. Ugh...

Is Lattimore really worth a first? I guess he has one year (with his 5th year option) left on a super cheap rookie deal, and then whoever trades for him will, as you say, have to make him one of the premier paid players at the position. Saints don't exactly have a lot of time to play hardball if they can't find the market they want. And I could see a contender (can't speculate, don't know what assets other contending teams have) making the potential trade as well, not just a rebuilding Jags team. Similar to how the Rams made that push for Ramsey a couple years ago. Thing is, Jalen was widely considered a top or *the* top corner in the game (and still is), Lattimore doesn't quite have that pedigree yet.

I would love to keep him, but you are right we cannot extend everyone and tough decisions will need to be made with the upcoming cap struggles. If we could even get a 2nd rounder point blank from someone like Lions (or another team projected to pick high in the draft) I don't think we should be too proud to take it.

Just now, Fray32 said:

Is Lattimore really worth a first? I guess he has one year (with his 5th year option) left on a super cheap rookie deal, and then whoever trades for him will, as you say, have to make him one of the premier paid players at the position. Saints don't exactly have a lot of time to play hardball if they can't find the market they want. And I could see a contender (can't speculate, don't know what assets other contending teams have) making the potential trade as well, not just a rebuilding Jags team. Similar to how the Rams made that push for Ramsey a couple years ago. Thing is, Jalen was widely considered a top or *the* top corner in the game (and still is), Lattimore doesn't quite have that pedigree yet.

I would love to keep him, but you are right we cannot extend everyone and tough decisions will need to be made with the upcoming cap struggles. If we could even get a 2nd rounder point blank from someone like Lions (or another team projected to pick high in the draft) I don't think we should be too proud to take it.

Jalen Ramsey just got 2 1sts.

Lattimore is worth at least 1 and probably a conditional pick the following year based on certain criteria.

Just now, Raves said:

Lattimore is worth at least 1 and probably a conditional pick the following year based on certain criteria.

I hope you're right. Agree at least that for a talented corner, multiple teams *should* be bidding up the price

3 hours ago, Raves said:

I agree here... Some of us are down on Lattimore due to inconsistency but he has good production, elite traits and is 24 years old. He's worth a 1st plus a conditional 4th IMO. 

Eventually I feel the Saints keep him but I do think they will listen to offers on many of thier players this offseason. NFL teams will smell blood in the water looking at their cap situation and will come calling for players hoping to take advantage of a desperate situation.