Who do we take at #25?

pwny

On 1/25/2021 at 12:15 PM, Chops013 said:

Gregory Rousseau seems to be falling down the boards. He would be real intriguing at 25.

Not really he isn’t great in run defense.. it’s going to be like redrafting Yann.. and run defense right now for the Jags is pathetic. 

19 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

Not really he isn’t great in run defense.. it’s going to be like redrafting Yann.. and run defense right now for the Jags is pathetic. 

Rosseau is 6'7, 265. I don't think Yan is the right comparison.

He may not be great in run defense right now, but he's also 20 years old and has the size/length to be more than solid in that department.

43 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Rosseau is 6'7, 265. I don't think Yan is the right comparison.

He may not be great in run defense right now, but he's also 20 years old and has the size/length to be more than solid in that department.

My other issue with the pick is not knowing what the base defense is going to be.. if it’s a traditional 4 down.. if you feel you can get the best out of him I guess. It’s why I wasn’t high on the Chassion pick last year. Drafting players out of position is one of the things I despise in the NFL.. if you’re running base 3 down I’m not in favor of drafting the player. Even with a new regime we can say all day it’s a new group give them a chance to develop them.. and that’s great for some it doesn’t mean I’m going to be in agreement. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

My other issue with the pick is not knowing what the base defense is going to be.. if it’s a traditional 4 down.. if you feel you can get the best out of him I guess. It’s why I wasn’t high on the Chassion pick last year. Drafting players out of position is one of the things I despise in the NFL.. if you’re running base 3 down I’m not in favor of drafting the player. Even with a new regime we can say all day it’s a new group give them a chance to develop them.. and that’s great for some it doesn’t mean I’m going to be in agreement. 

I expect it to be mixed. A lot of teams have transitioned into a combo front/mixing it up. Especially seeing what Baltimore does and Cullen likely bringing some of that philosophy here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I expect it to be mixed. A lot of teams have transitioned into a combo front/mixing it up. Especially seeing what Baltimore does and Cullen likely bringing some of that philosophy here.

I’m  hoping on it for a more diversified scheme. I think people get to enamored with he has ideal size and length a player of that size having issues to fill out his game at that size is an issue for me most of his production came in a hand full of games against subpar teams and he was comfortably sitting on the numbers.. and not improving the weaknesses. I don’t want the proverbial looks like Tarzan plays like Jane player either.. a dog is a dog no matter what the situation is I don’t get that vibe watching Rosseau on film. 

22 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

I’m  hoping on it for a more diversified scheme. I think people get to enamored with he has ideal size and length a player of that size having issues to fill out his game at that size is an issue for me most of his production came in a hand full of games against subpar teams and he was comfortably sitting on the numbers.. and not improving the weaknesses. I don’t want the proverbial looks like Tarzan plays like Jane player either.. a dog is a dog no matter what the situation is I don’t get that vibe watching Rosseau on film. 

No one's saying he doesn't come with a lot of rawness to his game, but the upside is tremendous. I'd definitely be about it at 25 if he somehow falls there. 

With how Urban is preaching coaching players up/fitting players to the scheme, I'm just not too worried about fitting a guy into a specific scheme/type of defense. 

17 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

You say that, with a tone as though re-drafting another player like Yan would be a bad thing.  I'd be stoked to grab ourselves another perennial 8-12 sack, high pressure rate edge rusher with a propensity for creating turnovers.  Even if the run defense at the point of attack leaves a little bit to be desired.

Our run defense is indeed pathetic...but that has a lot more to do with other elements on the DLine and in the LBer corps and the way it's staffed.  Losing Yan didn't help the run defense.

Getting after the QB is paramount in today's game.  If you can do that consistently, the rest starts to matter a whole lot less, and get a lot easier to remedy.

16 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

There are certain players where yeah, they're going to be a misfit that doesn't really have a role in certain defensive schemes.  But a lot of these guys are more versatile/flexible than given credit for, or can at least learn and develop a more varied skillset.  And as a whole, things are getting so muddied in terms of roles and alignments these days anyway, good coaches/coordinators can typically find a home in a role that works to most players' strengths...as long as they have a strong suit, are a good player, and have a skillset that is actually productive and useful in today's game.

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

You say that, with a tone as though re-drafting another player like Yan would be a bad thing.  I'd be stoked to grab ourselves another perennial 8-12 sack, high pressure rate edge rusher with a propensity for creating turnovers.  Even if the run defense at the point of attack leaves a little bit to be desired.

Our run defense is indeed pathetic...but that has a lot more to do with other elements on the DLine and in the LBer corps and the way it's staffed.  Losing Yan didn't help the run defense.

Getting after the QB is paramount in today's game.  If you can do that consistently, the rest starts to matter a whole lot less, and get a lot easier to remedy.

There are certain players where yeah, they're going to be a misfit that doesn't really have a role in certain defensive schemes.  But a lot of these guys are more versatile/flexible than given credit for, or can at least learn and develop a more varied skillset.  And as a whole, things are getting so muddied in terms of roles and alignments these days anyway, good coaches/coordinators can typically find a home in a role that works to most players' strengths...as long as they have a strong suit, are a good player, and have a skillset that is actually productive and useful in today's game.

True indeed but I don’t feel like Rosseau will even be anywhere near Yann. I think if you draft Rosseau you’re going to end up disappointed with the pick 3 yrs down the line sort of like how the Raider fans loath Clelin Farrell. If you’ve seen my post over the years you know how I feel about ball players who don’t play positions from high school going into college. It was a point of infuses that I brought up when this team drafted Bortles.. who played TE in high school and a QB in college.. and Taven Bryan who played Oline in high school then switched to dline in college.. it’s players that make it Tannehill ect.. but I’m sure the percentages are low.. not exactly a risk I’m willing to take. Rosseau was a wide out in high school.. and now he’s an edge rusher.. Rosseau is just going to look good getting off the bus you line him up in the pro’s he’s going to be handled consistently. 

Edited by DuvalsKing

33 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

True indeed but I don’t feel like Rosseau will even be anywhere near Yann. I think if you draft Rosseau you’re going to end up disappointed with the pick 3 yrs down the line sort of like how the Raider fans loath Clelin Farrell. If you’ve seen my post over the years you know how I feel about ball players who don’t play positions from high school going into college. It was a point of infuses that I brought up when this team drafted Bortles.. who played TE in high school and a QB in college.. and Taven Bryan who played Oline in high school then switched to dline in college.. it’s players that make it Tannehill ect.. but I’m sure the percentages are low.. not exactly a risk I’m willing to take. Rosseau was a wide out in high school.. and now he’s an edge rusher.. Rosseau is just going to look good getting off the bus you line him up in the pro’s he’s going to be handled consistently. 

Rosseau is a physical freak. There's risk there, but Ferrell never had much upside as a pass rusher. He was always viewed as the safe prospect that would be an impact run defender. If anything, this argument plays into going for the risk with bigger upside than the "safe DL who's more refined" thought like Ferrell.

The kid is 20 years old. I'm not sure what we're talking about here. Of course he isn't some finished product and will need refinement/development. All these guys will. A little more so with him than others, but the upside/chance for a homerun down the road is also there. He has special traits.