QB Controversy in Baltimore?

NudeTayne

QB1  

24 members have voted

1. 1. If Roethlisberger retires next year, do you start Dobbs?

• Yes!
    • No! Mason Rudolph is the QB in waiting.
  2. 2. How many bad games would it take for you to want to bench Lamar?

• only once the Ravens are statistically eliminated from the playoffs
    • I'd give him his year-four season to show the Ravens what they have in him at QB and then move on in the offseason if need be.
    • I'm okay benching him but would like to see what he could do as a gadget receiver/RB.
  3. 3. Should John Harbaugh be on the hot seat?

• Yes
    • Probably not yet

This playoff game has got me thinking, especially after a gritty performance by Tyler Huntley (a guy who looked great in college, like he could possibly make it in this league).  Huntley didn't do much as far as the stat line, but the wind was wild on that deep throw--should have been a touchdown had it not got caught in the wind--and it may have been another TD or at least a 4th & 2 or so at the goal line (i.e., he could have easily had two or more TD's against a defense that Lamar couldn't do anything but run against all game). 

Lamar Jackson is the starter for now; don't get me wrong on that.  And he's definitely earned it by his performance last year, especially in comparison with anyone else they have on the roster up to this point.  That said, he clearly regressed this year.  His stats were decent but really were much worse with a healthy Marquise Brown (could it be that Brown isn't a bust and that he's being held back by Lamar?) and a great rookie RB in Dobbins added to the mix.  The blocking was very good and yet Jackson has been more inconsistent.

We could argue that the league has figured out another running QB who is more runner than QB; I wouldn't necessarily argue against it.  It could just be an aberration in his career.  Or has he peaked already, as running QB's often do early due to athleticism/potential for injuries?  Once the league figures out how to contain them running, they die in the pocket. 

It would be reasonable to assume Jackson is the starter going into next season, but if by game six or so his stats have regressed and perhaps he's already gotten banged up a bit, I wonder if they would bench him in favor of Tyler Huntley.  Huntley, while not as fast, of course, had a very complete game in college.  Could Tyler Huntley and Josh Dobbs both be starting in the AFC North next season?

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

It would be reasonable to assume Jackson is the starter going into next season, but if by game six or so his stats have regressed and perhaps he's already gotten banged up a bit, I wonder if they would bench him in favor of Tyler Huntley. 

It's time bedtime for you. Put the drink down...and go to bed.