Our New Offense, The Personnel and The Versatility It Creates

KingOfNewYork

This offense is designed to take advantage of overaggressive defenses and make reads easy for the Quarterback.

The personnel however isn’t specific in anyway, we’ve seen teams around the league implementing these same principles in their own unique ways. The 49ers, Rams, Packers, Browns, Titans and Vikings all run this system in some sort of way and now the Falcons and our Jets will also be running a form of it. 

We’ve seen running backs have MVP caliber seasons and breakout seasons as well in this system. Big backs(Henry, Chubb), fast backs(Mostert, Coleman) and those in between(Cook, Freeman, Morris, Foster, Jones). The most important key is good vision and balance to follow your blockers and hit the holes as they develop and then you can add other attributes such as speed or the ability to break tackle or catch out of the backfield. There’s room for almost any kind of a back and that is why I dont think Mike Shanahan was ever specific in grabbing an all pro caliber RB. 

The reason the RB position isn’t as important is because of the offensive line and this system fits perfectly with Joe Douglas desired type of line. Big, strong, bulldozing linemen who can get up field and smart backs with the ability to see the holes and follow their blocks up the field. If a Linemen cant move, he cannot thrive in this system IMO and if a back has trouble seeing holes/cutback lanes then he will not be taking advantage of the opportunities an outside zone scheme creates. 

Receiver and TE falls in between RB and OL imo. Because the O is designed to work guys open its mainly about guys getting to their spots and making plays when the ball gets to them but at the same time an Elite WR will take this offense to the next level see Julio in Atlanta under Shanahan, Adams in GB under LaFleur, Kittle in San Francisco and even Theilen in Minnesota under Stefanski and Kubiak. When you have a guy in any of these spots that can command the attention of the defense it opens up everything. Add to that a potent run game they have to respect first and you have the makings of a dynamic offense. 

So how does this match our current personnel.

QB- Darnold is obviously a good option here but he’s also soured on us as a fan base but I do think if he cuts out the mental errors and play within the system. We’ve seen less talented QBs thrive in this system, I think Darnold can do well but if not there’s a lot of options we can look at.

RB- With this being the least important position and it not being specific to any type of running back outside of having good vision and some patience. I would look to add 2 backs to Ty Johnson and Perine however to see which style fits best in our division and then build from there.

FB/H-Back- I actually think Wesco was made to play this position, see Firkser in Tennessee and Juzszyck in SF. I’m comfortable with him taking this role in 2021 and seeing how things play out.

WR- Mims can play the X(line up on the LOS), Crowder is obviously a good slot receiver, I would bring back Perriman as he can play both X and Y(motions, plays off the line) and even Smith and Berrios. I think DeVonta Smith should be our current first round target in the top 10 because seeing him in the role I’ve seen LaFleur use Adams is intriguing.

TE- Herndon actually flashed in this offense his rookie season and came along late this season, I think we will see more good than bad from him plus he can both run block and catch. I think we need another threat however next to him, if somehow Pitts drops to the Seattle pick I wouldn’t hesitate to make that pick. Thinking about all the 22 and 13 personnel we can run is exciting to me.

OL- Becton(duh), Fant, Clark, Elflein, McGovern all big physical movers. GVR needs to be upgraded, Thuney should be a target for us in FA and I honestly consider him a lock if he doesn’t get tagged/re-signed.

All in all we know the types of players we need to add to make this system work best but at the same time it is clear that it is a system that can be molded to your personnel. The run game is most important  because everything plays off of that but with good scheming, motion, misdirection and creativity you have the ability to make plays even if the run game isn’t working. The best part is our GM is a philosophical match in how he wants to build his team and what our new OC needs to implement a successful system. 

• Like 3

Great write up. 

I think the biggest takeaway I take from it is quite simply flexibility. Doesn’t seem we will be ‘forced’ to do anything both offensively and in personnel. Looks like we will bring in guys who fit the desired system but also use some (not many!) of the current guys we have and get the best out of them. 

Im looking forward to seeing the progression of the team and with the draft and FA huge tools to bolster the roster i expect JD to start working some magic. For me it starts and ends at QB though.....if we keep Sam then this is last chance saloon as a Jet. 

Nice job. Thanks for laying out what we should expect out of our offense next year. Sounds like night and day from Gase’s garbage schemes.  

If we keep the guys you highlighted, Darnold and Herndon for example, we should be putting an end to the debate of whether it’s the system/coaching or the players. I’m kind of intrigued to give a few of these players one last shot under Salah and LaFleur. 

Nice write up. I have a couple of questions.

1.  Will the outside zone running game require our guards to pull and do we have them on the roster?  I did not see too many running plays with our OG/C pulling this year.

2.  If we trade down from 3 to say 9, should Pitts be an option?  I think he will go in the top 15 - 20. He would provide a WR talent in a TE body. Assuming we get a WR in FA should Pitts be a legit target.

3.  Like you, I always thought the flanker was the Y and the TE or slot was the Z. All the searches have the Z as the flanker (outside off the line, can go in motion) and the Y as the slot (or TE in 2 receiver sets). Which is correct?

4.  What type of passing game can we expect? Sam is not good for a deep vertical game and his decision making in the West Coast O concerns me. He seemed to be OK with routes between the hashes up to 20 yds. 

2 hours ago, xrade said:

Nice write up. I have a couple of questions.

1.  Will the outside zone running game require our guards to pull and do we have them on the roster?  I did not see too many running plays with our OG/C pulling this year.

2.  If we trade down from 3 to say 9, should Pitts be an option?  I think he will go in the top 15 - 20. He would provide a WR talent in a TE body. Assuming we get a WR in FA should Pitts be a legit target.

3.  Like you, I always thought the flanker was the Y and the TE or slot was the Z. All the searches have the Z as the flanker (outside off the line, can go in motion) and the Y as the slot (or TE in 2 receiver sets). Which is correct?

4.  What type of passing game can we expect? Sam is not good for a deep vertical game and his decision making in the West Coast O concerns me. He seemed to be OK with routes between the hashes up to 20 yds. 

1. On outside runs our guards will not have to pull but Kyle Shanahan has utilized tosses which do require guards and even tackles and tight ends to Pull and give his back a running start to the outside. Cleveland uses traps with Wyatt Teller pulling. It’s a great change of pace to the outside zone scheme and creates a numbers advantage in the blocking. If teams begin overloading left or right then you add in counter runs, Guards/Tackles can also pull here or an inside zone split and cut to the backside where your tight end needs to be able to move and take out the end. 

2. Pitts would be an excellent option in the passing game for us, gotta see how physical he is in the run game(that’s what separates Kittle) but he wouldn’t be a terrible option. I’d say he’s good value at 23 and great value at 34.

3. X for Shanahan has been guys like Andre Johnson, Julio Jones and Pierre Garçon. Mims fits that role, Kittle can play Y/Y-Slot but traditionally the TE lines up on the line or slightly split wider depending on the alignment of the defense. That’s where the versatility comes in.

4. Mike LaFleur will likely have his own ideas but I expect very similar concepts to Shanahan since he’s been with him so long. Flood concepts creating 3 levels of reads with a check down, screens, attacking the seams. Very simple reads honestly but the key is forcing the defense to respect the run game so if we see a lot of 3rd and shorts then I think we’ll be more successful in the passing game.

If Pitts falls that far I want him regardless of the offense lol.

Right now if nothing changes I am on board with Wilson at 2 and Toney at 23.  I don't care if we end up reaching a little bit, I think Wilson would be great to run the offense and Toney would be ELECTRIC in it.  Toney would also fit in with the RB by committee approach.

If we hold Sam that is fine and we will likely trade down and get Smith which is obviously great.  But I feel like Toney could work just as good and Wilson would really run the offense well.   

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Pitts would be an excellent option in the passing game for us, gotta see how physical he is in the run game(that’s what separates Kittle) but he wouldn’t be a terrible option. I’d say he’s good value at 23 and great value at 34

But would you take him at 9-15?  My point is if we trade down to say 9 with Denver or 10 with Dallas (assuming Dak is not extended), would you take Pitts then?  I liken it to “value based drafting” if fantasy football. I do not believe Pitts will sniff the 20’s unless he bombs the interviews. 

Edited by xrade

22 minutes ago, xrade said:

But would you take him at 9-15?  My point is if we trade down to say 9 with Denver or 10 with Dallas (assuming Dak is not extended), would you take Pitts then?  I liken it to “value based drafting” if fantasy football. I do not believe Pitts will sniff the 20’s unless he bombs the interviews. 

It would depend on what we do in free agency honestly. Its a difference between being a good pick and a great pick. If we can load up on depth in free agency and fill holes then I wouldn't hate the pick. It would also depend on who else is available. Chase and Smith are ahead of him for me.