2021 Baltimore Ravens Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

6 hours ago, berlin calling said:

sure, for a one year prove it deal i could see that. 

This was such an obvious and Ravens-esq move to make. Sure-up the free safety position to where we don’t HAVE to go safety in the draft, but still have the flexibility to do so if a BPA option falls to us at a nice slot.

That and Hooker has huge upside potential within a secondary like ours where he could be attached to a more specific cover 1 type role where historically he’s been at his best, though... that was before all the durability issues and torn Achilles. But if he can bounce back to draft form, he could be a potential steal and someone certainly worthy of a “proved it” contract, as long as the money doesn’t get too extensive.

From Zribiec's mailbag:

Who’s the next current Raven to get an extension? — Zach B.

Either Mark Andrews or Bradley Bozeman. They view both as important and ascending core offensive players who are productive, tough and reliable on the field and positive influences in the locker room and in the community. That’s assuming they don’t extend a guy like Brandon Williams or Calais Campbell just to lower their 2021 cap numbers.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Who’s the next current Raven to get an extension? — Zach B.

Either Mark Andrews or Bradley Bozeman. They view both as important and ascending core offensive players who are productive, tough and reliable on the field and positive influences in the locker room and in the community.

Told you the Ravens viewed Bozeman this way and he'd be getting an extension, @diamondbull424 😜

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Told you the Ravens viewed Bozeman this way and he'd be getting an extension, @diamondbull424 😜

Meh. There’s a lot of context being removed here.

Like I said before, it’s not that I don’t think Bozeman is WORTH giving a cheap extension, but rather it’s an unlucky circumstance because of the covid offseason. Meaning 1) we extend him and put the 2021 squad in a less competitive situation with FA, 2) we give him something like only a $5m signing bonus and a minimum type salary- say $1m (than another signing bonus set for 2022/next season to receive his market value in guaranteed dollars.) this route would pay Bozeman guaranteed dollars upfront for security, while allowing the Ravens to keep him for the same 2021 price point... 3) we don’t extend him and he gets too expensive next offseason and they’re comfortable allowing him to walk with Mekari in the wings already as a capable replacement with a little more versatility.

Option 2 is the only realistic attack strategy that I think could be considered for bringing Bozeman back.

Lastly, the implication for the post I was referring to was that we would be providing Bozeman and Elliot with big money deals, considering the post you quoted was stating how Campbell and Williams huge contracts would be coming off the books in 2022, so as to open up space for deals to Andrews, Lamar, FA WR option, etc.

So again, what type of deal are you referring to with Bozeman? If it’s a cheap extension, I don’t believe that runs counter to the point that I was defending. A mid level deal isn’t going to prevent the team from signing our true core options nor being aggressive with a splashy FA signing. But if Bozeman is getting FA market type money in your scenario- something like $9m AAV+, than I’ll believe it when I see it. I think the Ravens would love to extend him for somewhere within that Nick Boyle range ($4-6m). Well beyond that and my position does not change, I think they’ll let him walk.

Edited by diamondbull424
Added the “Nick Boyle range” as that was a vague statement worth adding context to

On 2/15/2021 at 2:33 PM, diamondbull424 said:

Bozeman has graded out the same as DJ Fluker on the season, who was playing out of position at RT and was injured most of the year. Mekari has graded out as virtually the same as Bozeman the last two seasons now. Whether at center or at guard. He’s shown that he can pull as well.

The team isn’t likely to extend Bozeman as that would in most cases raise his cap number considering he’s only making roughly $2.5m atm and would be going up to roughly $7-8m (if not more if the cap goes up enough so as to cause some inflated deals.) So considering he’s probably not a likely extension candidate, he’s going to hit the open market and the team has a history of not competing for our OL on the open market- as outlined above.

Therefore my money is on the Ravens choosing to extend Patrick Mekari as a starter/depth option in February of 2022 for roughly, 3 yrs $5.5m APY. Letting Bozeman walk in FA. But we’ll see.

Bozeman and Mekari IMO ultimately hold similar IOL value, Mekari has more versatility, while Bozeman is more durable. If either is making $4-5m with an extension, that’s a sweet spot. But if they’re making $7m, $8m, $9m+ it goes beyond value option to mid-high level option.

Hence why ultimately, even considering the revised Bozeman contract numbers for 2021, I think the more likely option is extending Mekari before the rest of the league finds out about him since he’s not a “starter”.

Edited by diamondbull424

15 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Meh. There’s a lot of context being removed here.

Like I said before, it’s not that I don’t think Bozeman is WORTH giving a cheap extension, but rather it’s an unlucky circumstance because of the covid offseason. Meaning 1) we extend him and put the 2021 squad in a less competitive situation with FA, 2) we give him something like only a $5m signing bonus and a minimum type salary- say $1m (than another signing bonus set for 2022/next season to receive his market value in guaranteed dollars.) this route would pay Bozeman guaranteed dollars upfront for security, while allowing the Ravens to keep him for the same 2021 price point... 3) we don’t extend him and he gets too expensive next offseason and they’re comfortable allowing him to walk with Mekari in the wings already as a capable replacement with a little more versatility.

Option 2 is the only realistic attack strategy that I think could be considered for bringing Bozeman back.

Lastly, the implication for the post I was referring to was that we would be providing Bozeman and Elliot with big money deals, considering the post you quoted was stating how Campbell and Williams huge contracts would be coming off the books in 2022, so as to open up space for deals to Andrews, Lamar, FA WR option, etc.

So again, what type of deal are you referring to with Bozeman? If it’s a cheap extension, I don’t believe that runs counter to the point that I was defending. A mid level deal isn’t going to prevent the team from signing our true core options nor being aggressive with a splashy FA signing. But if Bozeman is getting FA market type money in your scenario- something like $9m AAV+, than I’ll believe it when I see it. I think the Ravens would love to extend him for somewhere within that Nick Boyle range ($4-6m). Well beyond that and my position does not change, I think they’ll let him walk.

Not really.

The post you quoted was me saying "don't forget we're gonna have to use a lot of that $ to resign our 2018 draft guys coming up...Lamar, Elliott, Andrews, Bozeman, maybe Averett". 

You questioned why we would resign Bozeman when we have other younger options at IOL. I then said I think the Ravens value Bozeman more than you think and will definitely try to resign him. 

It's ok man, we all get some things wrong sometimes😝

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match, please don't hit me with a 5 paragraph retort as to how you weren't actually wrong, I don't actually care that much haha this is all half joking anyway

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Not really.

The post you quoted was me saying "don't forget we're gonna have to use a lot of that $ to resign our 2018 draft guys coming up...Lamar, Elliott, Andrews, Bozeman, maybe Averett". 

You questioned why we would resign Bozeman when we have other younger options at IOL. I then said I think the Ravens value Bozeman more than you think and will definitely try to resign him. 

It's ok man, we all get some things wrong sometimes😝

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match, please don't hit me with a 5 paragraph retort as to how you weren't actually wrong, I don't actually care that much haha this is all half joking anyway

Well he’s not signed yet so there’s not really much “pissing” going on here. As it stands a mailbag entry from Jeff Z about what he thinks the team will do hardly proves wrong what I said.

We’re nearing the start of UFA. At this point last season, we had already extended a guy like Clark. This offseason we’ve already extended Boyle. Time is certainly ticking for your Bozeman extension. At the moment your comment is a little... premature. 😜
saturday night live snl GIF
april GIF

Edited by diamondbull424
Said resigned, meant re-signed. So changed it to “signed yet” for better clarity.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, coordinator0 said:

after factoring in rookie contract numbers this leaves us with very little room to do much without some serious restructures. I see Williams getting extended for sure, maybe Marcus Peters too? 

tough situation - the Browns have a lot of space and that’s unfortunate as a division rival but I see a regression for them next year

4 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Yup. That effective cap space looks about accurate. Brandon Williams should be a definite extension for both sides. Would hope Campbell gets extended as well to solidify the front, but that’s probably less guaranteed.

But those restructures he projects along with extending Williams should be near sure bets.

Also trading Brown Jr would free up roughly $3m or so IIRC. So with smartly navigating the cap, we should have close to $20m to work with... if we want it. The draft and in-season money can be freed up at a later time, so we just need some immediate money’s for free agency (mainly the secondary UFA market I’d assume), so we’ve got time. I’m sure we’ll play the cap closer to the vest this season as we did last season, so space will probably be cleared up as needed.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yup. That effective cap space looks about accurate. Brandon Williams should be a definite extension for both sides. Would hope Campbell gets extended as well to solidify the front, but that’s probably less guaranteed.

But those restructures he projects along with extending Williams should be near sure bets.

Also trading Brown Jr would free up roughly $3m or so IIRC. So with smartly navigating the cap, we should have close to $20m to work with... if we want it. The draft and in-season money can be freed up at a later time, so we just need some immediate money’s for free agency (mainly the secondary UFA market I’d assume), so we’ve got time. I’m sure we’ll play the cap closer to the vest this season as we did last season, so space will probably be cleared up as needed.

The Earl Thomas grievance is still such a wildcard. Apparently none of his $10m salary for 2020 hit our cap so the entire value is unaccounted for right now. If we win we stand with the $19.9m cap mentioned above. If we lose we are at $9.9m in cap space. Very little is out there about when a decision will be made but maybe its good news that the Ravens don't seem to concerned about it.

https://russellstreetreport.com/2021/02/19/baltimore-ravens-salary-cap/curious-case-of-earl-thomas-grievance/