2021 Baltimore Ravens Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

15 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I don't think the current FA WRs are the actual market. Some vet will be cut or available for trade after the draft. No need to panic and pay for some mediocre player who won't improve the offense. 

Is a vet who would be cut or traded after the draft one worth acquiring to actually upgrade the offense though? That's the same mindset the Ravens have had with wide receiver. It isn't working.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

LOL 

How soon people forget. Those guys won us the Titans game that we got embarrassed in the year before. They did the job. Offense is next up. I have confidence. 

Have we ever really stopped to ask whether building our entire offseason plan last year around beating like the 4th best team in the AFC ever actually made a lick of sense 

4 hours ago, M.10.E said:

In 10 years we’re going to look back at the last 3 years and wonder why we paid 30 million for two DL over 30 who don’t really rush the passer instead of offensive playmakers. 

That + the laughably terrible Earl Thomas deal and you basically have the entire recipe for how we blew/are blowing our rookie QB window 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

Given the breakdown of the remaining cap space Brian McFarland has put out, I'm not expecting us to sign any significant free agents (at WR or EDGE, even though both are needed)

What I think is most likely is that we eat into the ~$7m or so that Brian has allocated to future injury replacements and sign a combo like Josh Reynolds (former Ram) and Melvin Ingram for $5m combined, and what will follow will be a significant portion of "The Flock" losing their mind

EDIT: Actually, what I think is most likely is that we don't sign anyone until after the draft in an effort to preserve the comp picks coming to us next year (which will also result in mind losing) 

1 hour ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

I think even EDC knows he can't just completely ignore WR this offseason, but we're rapidly approaching the point where we just do a nothing half-measure there again. 

I don't know why you're so barbed when referring to EDC addressing the WR position. With his first ever 1st Round Pick he took a WR, who we hit on. Marquise Brown is a really good WR. This came a year after Ozzie literally picked Hayden Hurst over Calvin Ridley. Yet you keep positioning DeCosta has uniquely awful in this regard. 

Across two drafts EDC has spent 3 early round picks on WRs(Brown, Boykin, and Duvernay) and drafted 4 in total counting James Proche. Brown was a hit, Boykin looked like a monster in practice but apparently can't carry it over to games, Duvernay wasn't utilized by the coaching staff despite immediately becoming a plus returner for us, and Proche was a 6th Round flyer who no one would expect to overtake anyone in a COVID offseason.

Prior to EDC, the last early round(1-3) WR we took was Breshad Perriman in 2015.

Nothing points to DeCosta being unaware of or unwilling to address our issues at WR or any position. This black pilling is getting absurd, especially as the draft hasn't even happened yet. 

We'll have 3 Early Round Picks, assuming there are no trade downs which accumulate more. And 4+ Early Round Picks if OBJ is traded. We signed Zeitler which removes RG from the equation, and retained Bowser which removes SAM LB from the equation. If Orlando is traded there'll be a 1 for 1 swap with an early round Tackle we'll select but past that our sole true early round needs are WR, RUSH LB, and Center.

The last time WR was as big of a need under DeCosta we selected one in the 1st Round(Hollywood), and traded up in the 3rd to ensure we got the WR they were high on at the time(Boykin). There's no reason to think the same won't be done this go around.

1 hour ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

If not Golladay or Juju - and I think it's pretty obvious we're not going in that direction

Golladay will turn 28 in November and played in 5 games last year. When healthy, this is the reality of him as a player-

'Golladay averages 1.8 yards of separation per route run. That figure ties him with Cincinnati’s A.J. Green for the lowest average. But Green starts with less average cushion. Golladay gets 5.6 yards of cushion on average, while Green faces more presses and jams at his 4.8-yard cushion. Defenses know Golladay won’t separate after his release, so they see no need to jam him. He also finished dead last in average separation per route in 2019 at 1.9, per Next Gen Stats.'

Juju over the past two seasons has as many explosive plays(15+ Yards) as 31 Y/O TY Hilton with 25, an ADOT of 7.4, and last year averaged a whopping 8.6 yards per reception. To put that in perspective Willie Snead averaged 13.1 YPR for us last year and has never dipped below 10.5 with us or the Saints. JJSS hasn't been close to an impact player since AB left Pitt.

Neither player is anything close to a must have acquisition. Which is why their respective teams were fine with them hitting free agency. How either suddenly became integral to our SB chances is beyond odd.

9 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Have we ever really stopped to ask whether building our entire offseason plan last year around beating like the 4th best team in the AFC ever actually made a lick of sense 

Who out of Jihad Ward, Pernell McPhee, Calais Campbell, Yannick Ngakoue, Patrick Queen, Justin Madubuike, Malik Harrison, and Derek Wolfe(All of our significant 2020 Front 7 additions(Signings, Trades, and Picks) do you wish we didn't acquire? And how would their removal help us to more handily beat the Titans, change the result against the Bills, beat the Chiefs for the first time during the Lamar era, and then fare against the eventual SB Champion Bucs?

45 minutes ago, drd23 said:

, and what will follow will be a significant portion of "The Flock" losing their mind

EDIT: Actually, what I think is most likely is that we don't sign anyone until after the draft in an effort to preserve the comp picks coming to us next year (which will also result in mind losing) 

I'm seeing some of the wackiest reactions from fans during an offseason in a while. It's about what I predicted too. Whatever area EDC does address, he still has a firing squad on him demanding he tend to another. I'm afraid some of the Flock is going to snap before we actually hit the draft 🤣.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I don't know why you're so barbed when referring to EDC addressing the WR position. With his first ever 1st Round Pick he took a WR, who we hit on. Marquise Brown is a really good WR. This came a year after Ozzie literally picked Hayden Hurst over Calvin Ridley. Yet you keep positioning DeCosta has uniquely awful in this regard. 

Across two drafts EDC has spent 3 early round picks on WRs(Brown, Boykin, and Duvernay) and drafted 4 in total counting James Proche. Brown was a hit, Boykin looked like a monster in practice but apparently can't carry it over to games, Duvernay wasn't utilized by the coaching staff despite immediately becoming a plus returner for us, and Proche was a 6th Round flyer who no one would expect to overtake anyone in a COVID offseason.

Prior to EDC, the last early round(1-3) WR we took was Breshad Perriman in 2015.

Nothing points to DeCosta being unaware of or unwilling to address our issues at WR or any position. This black pilling is getting absurd, especially as the draft hasn't even happened yet. 

We'll have 3 Early Round Picks, assuming there are no trade downs which accumulate more. And 4+ Early Round Picks if OBJ is traded. We signed Zeitler which removes RG from the equation, and retained Bowser which removes SAM LB from the equation. If Orlando is traded there'll be a 1 for 1 swap with an early round Tackle we'll select but past that our sole true early round needs are WR, RUSH LB, and Center.

The last time WR was as big of a need under DeCosta we selected one in the 1st Round(Hollywood), and traded up in the 3rd to ensure we got the WR they were high on at the time(Boykin). There's no reason to think the same won't be done this go around.

Golladay will turn 28 in November and played in 5 games last year. When healthy, this is the reality of him as a player-

'Golladay averages 1.8 yards of separation per route run. That figure ties him with Cincinnati’s A.J. Green for the lowest average. But Green starts with less average cushion. Golladay gets 5.6 yards of cushion on average, while Green faces more presses and jams at his 4.8-yard cushion. Defenses know Golladay won’t separate after his release, so they see no need to jam him. He also finished dead last in average separation per route in 2019 at 1.9, per Next Gen Stats.'

Juju over the past two seasons has as many explosive plays(15+ Yards) as 31 Y/O TY Hilton with 25, an ADOT of 7.4, and last year averaged a whopping 8.6 yards per reception. To put that in perspective Willie Snead averaged 13.1 YPR for us last year and has never dipped below 10.5 with us or the Saints. JJSS hasn't been close to an impact player since AB left Pitt.

Neither player is anything close to a must have acquisition. Which is why their respective teams were fine with them hitting free agency. How either suddenly became integral to our SB chances is beyond odd.

Who out of Jihad Ward, Pernell McPhee, Calais Campbell, Yannick Ngakoue, Patrick Queen, Justin Madubuike, Malik Harrison, and Derek Wolfe(All of our significant 2020 Front 7 additions(Signings, Trades, and Picks) do you wish we didn't acquire? And how would their removal help us to more handily beat the Titans, change the result against the Bills, beat the Chiefs for the first time during the Lamar era, and then fare against the eventual SB Champion Bucs?

I'm seeing some of the wackiest reactions from fans during an offseason in a while. It's about what I predicted too. Whatever area EDC does address, he still has a firing squad on him demanding he tend to another. I'm afraid some of the Flock is going to snap before we actually hit the draft 🤣.

Thank you for this extremely intelligent reply!! This saved me from writing it all out myself 😊

4 hours ago, DreamKid said:
6 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Building the defense to stop the run first has been how its done in Baltimore for as long as I've been a fan, and its pretty easy to argue that the combination of McPhee, Ward and Wolfe were signed primarily with that in mind.  If you add in what I would classify as the misuse (or at the very least underuse) for whatever reason of the best pure pass rusher on the team last year in Ngakoue, and its not exactly a stretch to say the plan was tailored more to beating a running team like Tennessee than a passing dominated one like KC 

• Like 2

I def think EDC has tried to address the WR issues in the draft. So the attempt is there. Just hasn't worked out yet. Trotting Boykin out there who gets almost zero targets as a WR2/3 is a baffling move either on the coaching staffs part, Lamar's part or the FO's part (probably a combo of all 3).

We clearly focused on the Titans this last off-season. Put more resources into defense than offense again. 

Look, I'm not saying we need to sign Golladay/Arob/Juju, but you need to at least put better weapons out there than Boykin/Snead/Roberts etc.

• Like 2

Doubt we sign. On the very small chance it happens, I hope it’s a shorter 2-3 year deal. 

Seems like it's the Ravens just putting this out there to say that they looked into a WR.

Edited by M.10.E
  • Like 1

Getting to the divisional round of the playoffs two years in a row is a wild barometer of “blowing a rookie QBs window” but hey what do I know.

I guess losing at any point in the season sans the SB is “blowing a window” lmao

• Like 1